Binos

I have the Steiner Merlin 10x42 and they are the best I have ever used.They make the Predator series now that are about 400.00 and they are the best.I can see in the woods when the light is gone at sunset.

Always buy binos according to use,I will not use center focus binoculars for scanning open terrain. The whitetail woods 7x50 max center focus, out west 9-12 power with a support accessory.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootAlways buy binos according to use,I will not use center focus binoculars for scanning open terrain. The whitetail woods 7x50 max center focus, out west 9-12 power with a support accessory.

Ya BUT - most have multi-use purposes for their binoculars. There are pocket size, mid-size and larger starting at 50mm objectives. A 7X50 is a great binocular with a wide field of view and is steady in the hand - 8X is just about as steady while the 10X can get a little shaky and the 12X and up normally needs a tripod/rest of some sort.

Today the 8X42 HD's are all around nice comfortable binoculars, some go smaller to the 8X32 HD's for weight saving. The big 8X50 or 8X60 HD binoculars are great at dawn or dusk but they only give you another 5 maybe 10 minutes of viewing over the 42's. Most modern binoculars can take a lot of abuse. Money is always the controlling factor but the gain in optic "quality" for the increase in cost really tightens up once you get past $1,100 for the "average" human eye but your eye can really tell the substantial difference in optic quality from the $300/400 versions to the $1,000 versions. Just look through the Nikon Monarch 8X42 HG - I think they are the best bang for the buck at the moment for higher-end binoculars and sports optics have a sale now but I would think around Christmas, others will have about the same prices - so you might be able to actually examine them prior to opening the wallet.

Tough part is determining whether or not you actually need a 10X over the 8X - most people I associate with go the 8X route, as a steady view is assured while at 10X, just depends on the person's hand & arm strength, which fades as they get older.

Last edited:
And to think I just bought from a 2nd hand store a cheap $800.00 pr of Swarovski 10x50 and sent them in for a complete overhaul under there warranty program. WOW are they nice. Never had a nice pair before,

Originally Posted By: wickaAnd to think I just bought from a 2nd hand store a cheap $800.00 pr of Swarovski 10x50 and sent them in for a complete overhaul under there warranty program. WOW are they nice. Never had a nice pair before,

You got lifetime first-class binos.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: wickaAnd to think I just bought from a 2nd hand store a cheap $800.00 pr of Swarovski 10x50 and sent them in for a complete overhaul under there warranty program. WOW are they nice. Never had a nice pair before,

Nice find. You probably meant to say you purchased a nice used Swarovski at a reasonable price, as nothing is "cheap" about a Swarovski. What version of Swarovski did you luck into? Ebay sometimes has high-end binoculars for auction and they are priced right to begin with but on the last day of bidding they usually go ballistic!

Thanks again guys, been crazy busy lately. Unfortunately this has taken the back seat.

I will dig back into this again.

I am severely conflicted with this. They do not want to spend over $400, and I agree with them. However, the other side of me says buy once cry once. I know that these binos will never get $1k of use out of them. Plain and simple. But dangit, im conflicted here. There is a guy in this thread (he knows who he is) that jaded me some years ago on this stuff.

Originally Posted By: JoeyJOriginally Posted By: wickaAnd to think I just bought from a 2nd hand store a cheap $800.00 pr of Swarovski 10x50 and sent them in for a complete overhaul under there warranty program. WOW are they nice. Never had a nice pair before,

Nice find. You probably meant to say you purchased a nice used Swarovski at a reasonable price, as nothing is "cheap" about a Swarovski. What version of Swarovski did you luck into? Ebay sometimes has high-end binoculars for auction and they are priced right to begin with but on the last day of bidding they usually go ballistic!

they are SLC

Last edited:
Back