Green lights and no success

Halbach

Last year we tried a few times and a good number of spots to call yotes at night and I don't think we ever called one in. This year we want to at least kill one each with the lights so I was wondering what tips you all have? We scanned with the light every couple minutes so should we keep constant scanning? Is green a bad color? Do we still need to tuck in or can we park in the bushes and sit in the back of the truck? With our scope/light combos we could tell it was deer and what kind/size with ease at 100-150 yards. We've called a good couple so far in daytime, really wanna up the night hunting as our work schedules kinda prohibit too many day hunts.

Yes scan non-stop. The light is your camouflage. I've hunted in Texas with a guy that just flips the light on and scans every once in a while. It doesn't take a coyote,fox or bobcat long to appear,see you and disappear again. Scanning constantly is much better.

I prefer red or just regular white light. The eyes seem to shine better with those. For me it's harder to see them with green.

We call from a high rack in the back of the truck.

Last edited:
I agree with Rattler... I like to scan constantly because, like he said, a lot of times they will come in fast! I prefer an amber or red light over green but that is a personal preference. You can kill with any color and there is no right answer to the light color question as everyone has different experience with it. Another tip I will throw out there that you may already be doing... Start your calling out low volume for a minute or two in the beginning. I think that a lot of animals are blasted with high volume when they are already within range and it will spook them. You will be surprised at how little sound it will take to catch the attention of an animal that is close to begin with. In Texas we hunt out of a high rack at night all the time. No need to hide yourself in the bushes unless you just want to. Use the terrain to your advantage and hide if you can and still have a good field of view. Keep your downwind as open as possible as well. You may have called in several coyotes that circled you and left without ever showing up if they had cover downwind. There is lots of trial and error in predator hunting, try to learn from every animal you see whether you kill them or not, always watch how they react! Good luck!

Can't say that I have ever used a green light. Amber has always been my go to. I usually have the light in an upward direction more or less and use the halo of the light for detection. this way, the fox or coyotes don't get blinded and stop coming in.
Just my $.02. not sure I am much help.

Back