Thompson Center Compass Rifle. Anyone shot one?

Rambo

I’ve been hankering for a 6.5 Creedmoor and I found some of these TC Compass rifles at a local store tonight for $299 with a $75 rebate. Should I snatch one up at that price or keep looking? I’m good with budget rifles but I don’t want it to be on the level of a Remington 770 or something like that. I didn’t get a chance to fondle it so I may go back in a day or so.

I recently purchased 4 of them. You can tell that they are cheaply made but so far I am impressed with the accuracy. They'll make a suitable hunting rifle but way too light weight to serve as a bench rifle.

I have only began testing loads with the .243 and have groups less than 1\2" on the 4th step of a ladder test on unpublished powder (superformance), Speer 85gn hot core bullets, starline brass and Winchester primers.

the first thing I did was modify the trigger pull down to 2-3lbs finding that the stock screws were loose upon disassembly.

The barrel was dirty and requires cleaning before the first shot can be fired.

Thanks for the reply. I might have to give one a try for the price. I really would like a nice custom rifle but I’m afraid I would shy away from using it if I had a ton of money tied up.

I’m gonna go back and take a look at it. I didn’t get to hold it the other night. The tag said 6.5 creedmoor but who knows if it was correct.

I've been eyeballing these also. How is the magazine? On par with the cheap Ruger American or better? Is the stock forearm pretty flimsy?

Thanks

I consider my ruger american rifles at a higher quality level such as action and trigger and safety. the forearm seems to be a lil firmer in the TC.

it is an entry level gun so I guess we can't ask for too much. I was only concerned on how well it shoots, I won't feel bad banging it up hunting

i got 2 compass rifles recently. a .223 and a 6.5 creedmore. not shot the 6.5 yet.

have shot the .223 quite a bit. gave the barrel a good cleaning and hit the range. it is very, very accurate. like all holes were touching with hsm 52grhp and some ultramax 52grhp. i was pretty happily surprised.

the stock is stiffer than most of the cheap end rifles and the barrel was centered good in the stock with clearance all around. bolt is kind of sloppy at full open. fed out of mag and ejected with never a problem. staggered mag is nice and hold 5 rounds.

i can not leave the triggers alone on any rifle i buy.
smile.gif
this one was no exception. the trigger is adjustable. but way to heavy for me even as light as i could adjust it. i figured out an easy way to get the trigger down to a hair over 2 lbs without filing, stoning or modifying anything. just had to remove 1 little nut. that is all i will say about it. lol

as far as i am concerned, the compass is by far the best deal going in the economy end of rifles.

Kentucky Gun Co has them for $198 after rebates. I read an article not too long ago saying for the price they are hard to beat, very accurate. But a few years ago the same magazine said the Savage bmag was super accurate too. Most of us know that was pure BS.

Back