Thinkin about a .22 Nosler

use 8208 or tac and you get really get cranking in a 223, most of the 223 data out there is really weak and so is the factory ammo. running either of those powders in the 223 and you can probably match the nolser unless you load it up too, either way you can't escape the 4:1 rule pressure to pressure that nosler is only about to be about 150 fps faster and that is if it can hold the pressure without destorying your brass.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxStarting to look like shooting a .22 Nosler becomes a bit more than just building a rifle picking up some ammo

When you step away from the tried and trued mainstream rounds in the AR it can be as smooth as a chocolate malt or as choppy asca North Sea storm. A lot of it is minutia in the build and part selection.

Buy a quality barrel from someone you know made the barrel and you'll be halfway home. Buy a low bidder barrel with the bait and switch name and you may find the North Sea or not.

I've got enough time in to have run the gamut. One trick ponies or those who refuse to step into the analytical world sometimes do the Don Quixote thing with little real world success.

Greg

If I were in your shoes and after having the stoner barrel and 2 woa barrels, I would get a 12 twist 22" woa. It should be sub moa if you do your part with factory 55 Nosler ammo. It should be easy to sell the 1x fired cases for 20 cents per. A top notch barrel combined with a pile of budget parts has added up to very good accuracy for me. At 3500 fps with all shelf parts, Im not sure hoe you can beat it.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the Nosler but I'm going to wait and see what becomes of the 224 Valkyrie round Federal is coming out with. Should work out ok since my "build a rifle" fund is pretty empty right now.

Originally Posted By: NE223I've been looking at the Nosler but I'm going to wait and see what becomes of the 224 Valkyrie round Federal is coming out with. Should work out ok since my "build a rifle" fund is pretty empty right now.

The availability of brass may be an issue on that one. Not sure if they will SAAMI it but only time will tell there. I hope they offer more ammo other than the 90 grain SMK stuff as it is worthless in a hunting gun. On the plus side you can make it out of regular 6.8 brass.

Performance wise it will have nothing on the Nosler or the 22X6.8 that is a better all around cartridge than the other two anyway IMHO. The big issue will be if they keep it proprietary and if it does not go SAAMI the cartridge will be rare as hen's teeth out in the hinterlands.

Greg

The 22 Nosler had such a rough start that it may never recover, but after trying 2 different barrels and having put hundreds of rounds down range I can say that the 22 Nosler has met all my expectations. Once the horrible AR Stoner barrel was tossed and replaced with a 20" White Oak barrel things made a 180 turn. I get exceptional accuracy with bullets from 40 to 69 grains. I also get the advertised velocity gains over .223 and when pushed hard it is close on the heels of 22-250 velocities. I currently have 3 hunting loads worked up for my rifle. 65 Sierra loaded in my old experimental Hagar brass at 3240 fps using RL-15 it is a warm load that has no ill effects on my brass. Next a 55 Nosler BT loaded with CFE-223 at over 3600 fps in Nosler brass, this is a max load that will only allow the brass to be loaded a few times. Lastly a 40 Nosler BT loaded with Alliant 1200-R at 3920 fps in Nosler brass, hot but not really hurting anything. These loads are for hunting coyotes so if the brass only lasts once it is ok, as I will likely loose a few pieces in the field anyway. Of course hand loads can be made that have no ill affects on the Nosler brass while still giving very good velocities.
The 55 grain factory ammo measured 3550 fps in my barrel and shot sub MOA, so there is also a viable factory offering. It is loaded with Winchester primers, and 33.5 grains of ball powder that is unidentifiable. CFE-223 shows 33.0 grains max in Noslers load data. It is the only ball powder near the same charge weight, but they do not fill cases to the same volume, so copying the factory load identically did not work out.
All in all with a good barrel this cartridge is a winner in my book, and worth a look for those wanting a speedy accurate cartridge in an AR platform.

Rolling it out with AR Stoner barrels was a really dumb move on their part. It's good to see the numbers you're getting, I might consider one in the future

Originally Posted By: Redleg84Rolling it out with AR Stoner barrels was a really dumb move on their part. It's good to see the numbers you're getting, I might consider one in the future

The bad thing is Bear Creek Arsenal made them and I for one will never buy buy one of [heir barrels. The uppers are a nice value but the barrels will never be in my safe.

I admit I'm a test case of one right up until fellows like those above spill the beans. No shame in buying a bad barrel on the buyer. The shame lies on the manufacturer. Nolser sent those reamers out to quite a few places. Unfortunate;y the price point of the STONER/BCA proved that sometimes you get what you paid for and in my case it was very little except aggravation.

Greg

To say the AR Stoner barrel was frustrating is a huge understatement! It ruined many of my brass on the first firing with mild loads. The only thing I can figure was the gas port was WAY too big. It got a little better with a JP adjustable gas block but accuracy was still marginal at best.
Are you getting reasonable velocities and brass life in your Black Hole barrel Greg? It is very tempting to try one and see if I could push my velocities 100-200 fps quicker.

I'm getting stellar velocities out of mine . I've been playing with some 40's and getting 4000+ out of them. I shot some 53's at 3677 but they had some room left. I have some 22 NOSGAR made up that I will shoot next week if the wind stops!! I plan on doing 50's, 55's and some 77's in the near future. Since I have my 22X6.8 for a comparison I am blessed as I know what can be done with it and we've actually pressure tested it. This 55,000 ceiling is robbing the 22 N. out of some performance.

I agree the STONER was grossly over-gasssd and I also believe the first batch of brass was extremely soft. I shot those 53's, Varmageddons and VMAX, in the Old brass and the New brass with a random load. The velocities were very close with the rims showing damage in the old vs. the new. The GB was turned down way low to under gas the barrel and none of it was ruined beyond future use. As note in a prior posting I blew up or tumbled the VARMAGEDDONS at 3710. At 3677 four of five reached the target though some were tiping. All VMAX impacted per expectations.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: NE223I've been looking at the Nosler but I'm going to wait and see what becomes of the 224 Valkyrie round Federal is coming out with. Should work out ok since my "build a rifle" fund is pretty empty right now.

The availability of brass may be an issue on that one. Not sure if they will SAAMI it but only time will tell there. I hope they offer more ammo other than the 90 grain SMK stuff as it is worthless in a hunting gun. On the plus side you can make it out of regular 6.8 brass.

Performance wise it will have nothing on the Nosler or the 22X6.8 that is a better all around cartridge than the other two anyway IMHO. The big issue will be if they keep it proprietary and if it does not go SAAMI the cartridge will be rare as hen's teeth out in the hinterlands.

Greg

With Federal factory loading it I think it will be available. As for the SMK, it will kill coyotes deader than a hammer, not real fur friendly though.

Originally Posted By: NE223Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: NE223I've been looking at the Nosler but I'm going to wait and see what becomes of the 224 Valkyrie round Federal is coming out with. Should work out ok since my "build a rifle" fund is pretty empty right now.

Greg

With Federal factory loading it I think it will be available. As for the SMK, it will kill coyotes deader than a hammer, not real fur friendly though.

90's suck for PD's at distance. The red mist factor is just not there. Availability? Federal loads the 25X45 SHARPS. You ever seen a box on the shelf? I haven't seen a box of 22 Nosler on the shelf yet either.

Greg

Greg

I guess we'll see. If it was something developed by Remington I'd bet you were right, I do have a bit more faith in Federal.

As for finding ammo on the shelf I pretty much gave up doing that when I figured out I could get it delivered to the door.

I don't know what it's like everywhere else but my local Cabelas carries 22 Nosler brass and factory ammo
thumbup.gif

Nome at Sports5ans here and Cabelas had a few boxes of bras at one point when I was there. I've not sen any ammunition there but who knows how much the get in.

Another thing is that unless you buy an overpriced rifle from Nosler no one is producing one that is OTC. The cartridge will never grow without exposure/availability. You have to build one. The 6.8 SPC is a classic case of the no guns syndrome. For a while there were lots of them being made and they slowly have disappeared in our neighborhood. STAG dropped it a few months ago and now is getting bag into it but they just aren't there. We all know how Big Green screwed over the 30 RAR and they don't even sell a 6.8 currently in any form. Not good.

I suspect the Valkyrie is going to be another mainstream non-starter for the many of the same reasons. Larue vs. Nolser in the marketplace will tip to the N. and while the N. is limited to around 77's it is available from many barrel suppliers and brass is certainly out there.The V. will have to be released to the public for reamers and the pipeline of components will have to be opened up. Lets face it Federal brass is not as nearly available on the shelves as other brands. I haven't seen any Fed. 243, 330 or 30-06 brass on the shelf for many a moon. Nolser on the other hand is quite common.

Just my thoughts on it early in the AM

Greg

Back