My first ever antelope!

RBO11

After getting my Savage Model 10 Predator 6.5 Creedmoor shooting well, I was headed off to WY with a couple buddies this past weekend. Spotted a decent goat, I'm from Missouri and have not idea how to judge a buck. He was 1.8 miles away, so we took a hike after him. Crawled over a small rise and he was browsing at 200yds. Couldn't pass that up. Made a good shot just above the heart and he went down just over the rise. I enjoyed my first "out west" adventure, and hope to do it again soon!
[img:left]
QYBJEiv.jpg
[/img]

Originally Posted By: DesertRamHeck yeah! Well done. If you skinned and iced him pretty quickly, you'll have some darn fine eating.

Everyone said get them on ice quick, so I quartered him and had him on ice in the cooler as soon as I got back to the truck. Should be trying some back straps this week!

Good for you. Goats get a bad rap, but my personal opinion is that is largely due to the warmer temperatures in which they are often hunted and the lack of prompt attention and meat care. The wife and I have killed about three dozen of them in NM and WY and I've yet to eat one that wasn't delectable. But I'm a nut about getting them stripped and cooled in a hurry.

You'll be hooked now.

Another congrats on your buck antelope. It's a fun hunt for sure! They are a pretty little critter, great eyes and fast as heck when they decide to turn it on. One of my most memorable hunts is crawling through the Wyoming sage in a snow squall and killing a buck at 70 yards with my iron sight 6" S&W M29 .44 Magnum. Great memories...

Originally Posted By: CinchCongrats you did great! Where were you hunting?

Unit 8. It was the bests odds at drawing a tag, although there wasn't a lot of public land to hunt. This guys just happened to be hanging out on one of the bigger and well marked public areas, which made it nice.

Originally Posted By: RBO11Originally Posted By: CinchCongrats you did great! Where were you hunting?

Unit 8. It was the bests odds at drawing a tag, although there wasn't a lot of public land to hunt. This guys just happened to be hanging out on one of the bigger and well marked public areas, which made it nice.

That's south of me a little ways... I've not hunted that area but it's nice country. You don't catch them that big on public land often...

It's been years since I have hunted antelope. Used to do it in SE Montana. Definitely my favorite animal to hunt. Very good eating too if handled properly and not chased around with the 70 mile per hour sneak method that some folks seem to use. Sounds like you had a great hunt, I am envious.

Back