New to the suppressor world

newcoyotehunter

Looking for some advice, just got my first AR and it is by far the loudest gun i've ever shot. Looking maybe to getting a suppressor. First question is there good cheap options out there? Second question I live in Indiana, do I have to do anything special to buy one? To be clear, i'm not trying to be 'silenced' by any means. Just trying to get the noise doubt to a more reasonable level. Anyone who has some advice will be greatly appreciated!

What kind of budget do you have? The yhm stainless would be a pretty cheap but good option. My buddy has one that works good.

Buy once, cry once definitely applies to suppressors. Don't skimp on a cheap one. Go lightweight titanium like a SilencerCo Omega or Thunderbeast Ultra 7.

Your expectations for sound reduction are reasonable. The sound will not be "silenced" but it will be reduced and much more tolerable. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. In this case (where you will wait a long time) you think a little harder. In general, you will spend $500-$1000 now, and wait a good while to get anything for it. I picked up my last suppressor in September. I bought it in August of 2016-a year and a month earlier. Approval times are only getting better, but I'd still plan on 9-12 months, so do your homework. If approval times get even better like they should, time is on your side to take the time to make a good decision.

There really is no "cheap" option for suppressors. You get what you pay for. Most of them suppress to about the same amount. Everybody has their own personal preferences. Some go for weight, some for strength, some interchangeability, POI shift, etc.

As cmatera said, be ready for a pretty LONG wait. Much like waiting for a child to be born. Same morning sickness, cramps, frustration, anxiety, etc...

Welcome to the suppressed world.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoMuch like waiting for a child to be born. Same morning sickness, cramps, frustration, anxiety, etc...

Welcome to the suppressed world.

This is not only funny as he11 but very true, perfect analogy!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Waiting for my kids, it was me that did the screwing.

Waiting for my suppressors, I was the one GETTING screwed.

- DAA

liberty mystic X. suppresses just about anything and everything. I think the new mystic X cans are approved for even 300 mag. one can from 22 LR to 9mm.

Originally Posted By: DAAWaiting for my kids, it was me that did the screwing.

Waiting for my suppressors, I was the one GETTING screwed.

- DAA

LMAO. True, true....

AND to think that we PAID for that abuse...

I went for light weight and being interchangable.
SilencerCo Harvester weighs 11oz and rated from .22 up 300 Win Mag. Its only 1.35" in dia. So Im able to shoot supressed/resessed. Picked it up off Gun Boker ( $525 )
The 1 year wait was gruesome !!
However Im sure caliber specfic ones are a lil bit more quiet.

I also went with the light weight and interchangeable approach. I have the SilencerCo Omega cans rated for the 22 thru 300 WM. SilencerCo offers a lot accessories for their suppressors.

If it is strictly for an AR, you want to also consider back-pressure.
A typical can with typical ammo will dirty up an AR BCG and its mag quickly, like in 5 to 10 shots.

Originally Posted By: ViperACRWith the current 8 month plus wait time and $200 stamp do you really want cheap?

Hahahaha.

Originally Posted By: ViperACRWith the current 8 month plus wait time and $200 stamp do you really want cheap?

This. So much this.

I did the Form 1 route for my hunting suppressor, all titanium. 'Built' it with a Dewalt battery powered drill and and a pair of pliers. It does work! Buuuut... I will be replacing it with a commercial can eventually.
I wanted to try it, my AAC SDN6 was just too heavy for my liking but now there are more manufacturers that are making ultra light hunting cans than before, so there's some really good choices out there, and a lot of them are under $1k including the stamp.

I'm going against the grain here. Everyone told me to wait until I could afford the most expensive, lightest, hardest to get etc etc etc. "Buy once cry once", heard that about a 1000 times.

I didn't. I had my money saved and didn't want to wait anymore. I bought a Lane Scorpion King all steel. 725 with tax and 200$ atf fee included. I don't regret not waiting and saving even a little bit.

The hard truth is there are a lot of quality options spend what you want or can and enjoy suppressed shooting.

Sometimes that lower dollar item is. "a buy once cry once" item.

your extra $$ gets you weight reduction and durability at the same time.

which can be Yuuuuge.....

a 21oz can hanging off the end of a 24" bull barrel makes for a REAL nose heavy rifle - which can be difficult to use on anything other than a supported shooting position, no less to wander around with.

if you plan to use your can on multiple platforms, some of which you may not even own yet, saving up a few extra months to get a nicer (lighter) can is likely to pay dividends in the future.

just a few things to consider when you[re gonna plunk down your hard earned money on what is normally a lifetime purchase and wait about a year to see the benefits of said investment.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93I'm going against the grain here. Everyone told me to wait until I could afford the most expensive, lightest, hardest to get etc etc etc. "Buy once cry once", heard that about a 1000 times.

I didn't. I had my money saved and didn't want to wait anymore. I bought a Lane Scorpion King all steel. 725 with tax and 200$ atf fee included. I don't regret not waiting and saving even a little bit.

The hard truth is there are a lot of quality options spend what you want or can and enjoy suppressed shooting.

Sometimes that lower dollar item is. "a buy once cry once" item.

Me too. I went with the YHM Turbo in stainless for less than $650 with stamp and trust. Now the wait...

Back