Advice on shooting ARs suppressed

el_cazador713

Wanting to shoot my AR15 chambered in 223 wylde suppressed. I will be using a TBAC Ultra 7. What do you recommend doing to an AR that is going to be shot suppressed? I want it to run reliably and also not impact accuracy of the rifle.

As a reference, the rifle does not have an adjustable gas block, regular charging handle and buffer.

I installed an adjustable gas block on one rifle. On another I use a Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. Basically it has a suppressed and unsupressed setting on the bolt carrier itself. Just pull the bolt carrier and turn a screw. My experience is it works as advertised on an 8.5" barreled AR.

Shoot the rifle first and see how it goes.... Bootleg offers a adjustable BCG also, gas block is the cheaper alternative though.

Originally Posted By: el_cazador713Which of the two worked better? Does the bolt carrier help with reducing the force due to being over gassed?
Both work fine on my rifle. The gas block can be set in various positions while the bolt carrier obviously only has suppressed and unsupressed. (One size fits all)
When I use a gas block, I use an SLR. With a gas block you can fine tune to your rifle.
The Gemtech does redirect some gas - check their website. It does help with over gassing - I can see the difference in brass deformation on my SBR. They advertise you can save money if you have multiple guns since you can buy one and move gun to gun - I can't see doing that myself...
What I find is once I started using a supresssor I rarely shoot without it attached! That makes it unnecessary to mess with remembering gas settings and adjustments for gas blocks. Do your research on gas blocks since they have their issues as well. (possible gas leakage, adjustment screws can freeze in one setting)

I've been using an adjustable gas key for a few years now. I like it better than an adjustable gas block, but that's just me.

Choke it down until it won't lock back on the last round. Then open it up about 1/4 turn at a time until the last round locks back. Then open another 1/4 to 1/2 for a bit more reliability. I've found this to work with a variety of ammo and definitely helps with the bolt carrier speed. I do this for .223 and 6.8 SPC.

I like the adjustable gas blocks. Ive been using a JP Enterprise and a Odin Adjustable. The Odin has a detent and 22 settings so its easy to tune and lock down when your done.
Besides that all i do is just keep the BCG lubed up as all the extra hot gases that get sent back thru the receiver will blow alot of oil off parts and heat up stuff.

I use the SLR adjustable gas’s blocks in my suppressed SBR’s and they work great. You can adjust them to really slow down the action for less felt recoil. I also use a suppressor style charging handle to keep the gas’s out of my face. All work as advertised. I also use the JP Enterprise captured buffer setup to further reduce felt recoil and stop the spring noise that everyone hates.

I have both my SBR lowers setup this way, I have no complaints, and its very reliable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhoCares I also use the JP Enterprise captured buffer setup to further reduce felt recoil and stop the spring noise that everyone hates.

embrace the SPRONG
grin.gif

Chassis grease works. So does lubing it with Lucas gun oil. It will soak into the metal and makes a coating on the spring that helps to cut down on the SPRONG but doesn't cost much to try.

First vent you charging handle. So it will vent gas to the right out of your face.
I run a Specwar suppresser I have used it on all my AR's from 5,56 6,8 243 7,62 with no problems and also my 300acc pistol. I have used it on my CZ 58 7,62X39 on problems.
So shoot it first and see.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterI would shoot it first mine does fine with just the suppressor so you may be ok with no other change.

I second this opinion. On my 20" AR, it runs just fine with no change in accuracy with no mods to the rifle.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

First vent you charging handle. So it will vent gas to the right out of your face.
I run a Specwar suppresser I have used it on all my AR's from 5,56 6,8 243 7,62 with no problems and also my 300acc pistol. I have used it on my CZ 58 7,62X39 on problems.
So shoot it first and see.

I have a Specwar also for .223 thru .308 and its fine, but I am wondering about the "vent your charging handle" Could you explain this please

Back