Exotic wood I haven't seen used in ages.

crapshoot

Been a really long time since I've seen anyone turn this stuff. Those that use to use it always made some very neat and unusual looking calls.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieThat would make some very cool looking calls. I wonder how they would sound with the holes in the wood?

Bet ole Bearmanrick could stabilize it.

I know it's been done. Just haven't seen any in a long time. Always thought it looked nice.

Good looking call there Todd.

Thanks Lance, These were Ridgeviewer calls. He was one of the short lived call makers from this site many years ago. Much like Pilgrim. I don't follow it as much as I used to, but back in the day the hobby went through a "wood of the month" phase. This was one of those phases. I don't remember a lot of call makers trying it, but there were a couple. If I remember correctly this wood took a little more time to prep for spinning. (Might be easier today?)

Back in 2008 the first call I sold here on PM was a howler from banksia pod. Had a Carver board in it. It was a laminate with Bois de rose, Maple, Padauk and the Pod. It was tricky to turn to say the least. Those little seeds fly everywhere. And they hurt!! Still one of my favorites to date. Can’t remember what member won it in the auction. Lost that info in the divorce. Lol

Last edited:
Back