New Guy From Northeast Ohio

Bluesaite

I am retired and interested in coyote hunting. Able to hunt adjoining farms with woods and fields bordering the woods. I worked th farms when I was a kid
One spot I am thinking of trying s in a corner section of woods with soy bean field adjoining it. There is a inclosed dear hunting stand I can use with window that drop down on all sides. Sets just in the woods but has good opening to see field with open lane around edge with field of soy and farm road on back side of dear Stand in the woods.
Using a Crossbow. Was thinking setting my e-caller about 30 yards away from deer stand at edge of field. Tree stand is about 10 feet off ground been there for years.
Any thoughts Very new to this but enjoy time in the woods. Also plan on doing some wild life photography. I know there in area because friend that owns one of the farms has seen them.
Thanks
Thanks

If you're only carrying a crossbow I'd set the call directly under the tree stand, or as close to it as you can. Hunting coyotes isn't anything like hunting deer. They may run right up to your call, they may circle it downwind and you'll never see them, they may come in ten yards from your call and stay in the brush, they might run right to your stand...you just never know. Also, if this tree stand has windows, you better open them all prior to calling and be ready to shoot from any direction. The action might start in 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, or 40 minutes. You just never know. Personally, I'd rather be in a ladder stand with open sides as opposed to one that's enclosed. There's a lot of blind spots in those and when seconds count, windows can be a pain.

Good luck!

Thanks for info. There are several open stands in area I can use. There still in great Shape but not used much anymore
except for deer gun season. That way I can call from different areas.
Thanks

I'm not too far from you in Harrison County. Good coyote numbers down here in my part of Ohio, I'm sure Medina County has their share too. Good luck. As stated above, coyotes are very different to hunt than deer. Coyotes are the toughest hunt I've ever had.

I hunt in Portage county place called Freedom were I grew up. Lady I you to work her dad,s farm signed paper to hunt on her property so got got few farms adjoining each other. She told me Hunt the coyotes she said when a siren goes of she can har them howl once in a while. Guy next stre had one behind house while him and another person were in driveway talking said didn’t even bother the coyote. Looking forward to hunting.
Thanks

Back