Muzzle break decibel level down range?

Jim Byers

Everyone knows that breaks make rifles louder to the shooter/bistanders but has anyone tested the dB levels down range? Just curious if perhaps the sound is deflected/distorted from the quarries perspective..

Last edited:
I have read from several people that yes it does help cut down range noise levels. Several friends of mine swore by them in PD Towns before they got suppressors. I have also heard of guys having increased success while using them for coyote hunting.

On the other hand every muzzle brake that I've ever used that did what it was supposed to and did it well I usually couldn't stand the concussion let alone the noise that it created towards me (the shooter)

Last edited:
I assume it would be considering how it works, it re-directs the sound. I know at my ear, I hate brakes without ear pro in!

When combining a brake and suppressor, then it does make a difference (to my ears). I'm fairly new to the suppressor world (Form 1 and commercial), but I've done a lot of research and and a lot of learning. Watching the reactions of farm animals when shooting (shooting at a friends), made me realize that they do not know where the sound is coming from, and the heifers don't really get spooked like they usually do. I guess I'll find out this deer season. I have a chance to hunt a property where they encourage as many does to be shot with a chance at truly trophy bucks (3 bucks killed in the last 5 years at 200"+ gross and a number in the 190's)

Last edited:
Only reason I ask is that I've had a couple times were I've stumbled upon a coyote on the way to make a stand and shot.. p preceded with the stand anyways and much to my surprise called in other coyote quickly.. lending me to believe they were very close and would have heard me shoot. Got me wondering what it actually sounds like down range to them.. maybe the next time I got shooting with a buddy I'll stand somewhere safe down range and listen while they shoot with and without...
I'll be ordering up a can and sending in my paperwork soon, but I have much research yet to do to decide.. I would like to be able to use one for both my rock river ar 223 as well as my kimber 6.5... but that's a topic for another thread I suppose..

Quote:Only reason I ask is that I've had a couple times were I've stumbled upon a coyote on the way to make a stand and shot.. p preceded with the stand anyways and much to my surprise called in other coyote quickly.. lending me to believe they were very close and would have heard me shoot. That shouldn't be a surprise because not all coyotes have been exposed to gun shots so they don't know that a gun shot means "danger". After all, lots of guys kill multiples without suppressors, so that should tell you that what you are experiencing isn't out of the norm and probably has nothing to do with the coyotes hearing or not hearing the gun shots.
I once watched as a young "new" hunter missed a coyote about 11 or 12 times and the coyote never ran off. Matter of fact, the coyote hardly even reacted even though the shots weren't missing it by much. The young hunter finally connected and killed the coyote. That coyote was the dumbest coyote I've ever seen and obviously not the norm, and the hunter wasn't shooting suppressed either. After that stand we went and sighted in his AR.

Back