Day/Night Scope options, Suggestions?

Predator257Roy

I've got an SBR ..223 that will now be sporting a new muffler, finally. I wanted something a bit more compact to tote than my full size rigs. Also, am thinking it will fit my 14 year old daughter better than the big rifles. It currently has a Eotech model 556 (NV compatible). My original thought was to put on an ATN x sight. With mixed reviews (glitchy, battery eater) and personal dealings with their customer service dept, they may be out. I really liked the $500-$600 price though. Next I found the Flir Armasight Drone Pro. Picture looks tons better. Known for good customer service, but now in the $2000 price range. Then I got to thinking that for that price, my options really opened up. I could pick up a good pvs14 in that price range and use it with the Eotech, either weopen mounted or head mounted, correct? Then I saw the upcoming Flir PTS223. Thermal would theoretically serve the function of a day/ night scope.
Looking at the big picture, I plan at some time down the road to get a high end thermal, waiting for money to come in, and to see what happens in the industry with the new technology. NV, whether real or digital could be used for positive I.D. when using a thermal. $2000 is tops, but that $600 sounded better. Am I thinking about this right? Any other options, ideas, suggestions or complications that I overlooked.

Thermal is great, I just don't recommend it as stand alone without a i2 setup if your not familiar with hunting with thermal. Not saying that its a huge learning curve but I've seen very seasoned hunters get behind a 10k thermal scope and have trouble identifying animals at night. It takes some time and you will still never have 100% ID at further distances like you will with night vision.

I have a pvs-14 that mounts on my day scope. It makes a great nv set up
Scan with thermal id with nv. If I was wanting to go a less expensive route I would get a Photon & a good thermal scanner.

Last edited:
Specifically though, what would be best route for something to work day or night on the rifle mentioned. This will not be my dedicated night rig, that comes later. I'm not looking for optimum setup / gadget combo. I want a quick fix on a decent budget that would work for me right now and work for my daughter both now and later. Don't need a thermal scanner, with MK3 or new Flir in hopefully the somewhat near future. I tried to give the big picture in my original post. I want day / night optic or optic combination with my Eotech. Should I only be looking a a digital NV scope, or is there another way to accomplish what I am looking for? Skypup and Vic, where ya at?

I have good success with the Pulsar N750. Much clearer than I would have ever thought.
With a good illuminator, easily kill shots out to 300.

Back