Remington ML blew up today. (pictures are up)

pyscodog

At the club this morning, one of the guys blew his Remington 700 ML up. He didn't get the bullet seated and it exploded the barrel and blew the bold handle completely off the bolt body.It split the stock all the way to the front action screw. Lucky no one was hurt but the rifle is trashed. Pics to follow.

Last edited:
Always permanently mark the ramrod at proper seating depth of a load in the clean barrel. He was very fortunate.

Regards,
hm

This guys no rookie. He had his head other places besides where it should be. He started the bullet with a starter then I guess started talking to others and didn't finish seating the bullet. Dumb mistake and was very lucky.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThis guys no rookie. He had his head other places besides where it should be. He started the bullet with a starter then I guess started talking to others and didn't finish seating the bullet. Dumb mistake and was very lucky.

So not actually "seated" anywhere near the powder ??? That is a lot of room for expansion...

The bullet was maybe 6-8 deep into the barrel. Lots of room for expansion.

Even experienced shooters make mistakes. This was a lucky break this time.

Ouch! I just figured he was shooting a fouled barrel and thought the bullet/ball was fully seated. So, did the barrel burst near the muzzle or........?

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgHere ya go Bill...........

If you notice, the bolt is still in the action, just the handle blew off.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'd have dirty laundry for sure after that.

no kiddin... those skid marks would take a couple washes to come out!

yikes!

glad nothing was injured by the gun and his undies....

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI'd have dirty laundry for sure after that.

no kiddin... those skid marks would take a couple washes to come out!

yikes!

glad nothing was injured by the gun and his undies....

I think I'd just wrap mine around a rock and toss them off the river bridge.
cry.gif

Amazing no one got hurt.When I got started with ML's one of the bullet's I tried were the Powerbelts.I was never comfortable with their loose fit.My thought was what if it came off the powder some.Not saying he was using them in this case.Just glad I went with my instincts.

Back