6.5 Creedmoor loads

Tylerpresser

Just looking for some information on my 6.5 cm I have a bunch of Berger 130vlds and I wanted to run them with Varget or try to but can’t find a Starting and stopping load all my books don’t list the VLDs and Varget

You can more than likely use a starting load data for any 130gr bullet and varget and work your way up.

Originally Posted By: TxhillbillyVarget isn't a very good powder for the Creedmoor and the heavier bullets. It will work with 120 gr and lighter bullets.

A big AMEN to this statement!

Lately, I tried R#26 with a cci 250 and fed 215 primer and the ultimate accuracy node was right at 2900 fps with my 8T, 24" barrel with a 140g ELD-X, 48.5g. Max load was 3050, 50g, with only the slightest bit of pressure which I would use on hunting up to 200 yards without a second thought. You have to work up loads for your rifle and components to see what is safe in your rifle, and I was using Hornady brass.

Great accuracy was achieved earlier with H4350 around 2750 with a 140g, but the R#26 is awesome.

Last week, I tried the R#26 in a new custom 6.5x55 with a 26" barrel. Safe max load in this rifle was 3150 fps with a 129g barnes long range, I will have to tweek the load for accuracy. The 129g Barnes long range I have found in several barrels to be a very easy bullet to tune for accuracy, certainly easier than the 120g Barnes tipped triple shock.

The loads I listed worked well in my rifle, but may not be safe in your gun, so start low and work up. I am looking for bug hole groups, and often will start with two shot groups when the wind is calm to get the general idea of what is going on with a new powder/bullet.

Last edited:
Tyler, two loads
I had good luck with out of a savage model 11 with a 20" barrel
hornady cases 43grs R17 129 sp ave vel 2773fps

39grs R15 129gr sp ave vel 2707fps

Ackleyman, do you feel it's necessary to use mag primers with R26 powder? spike

I know it’s not the best powder for that particular bullet but I want to try it and see how it does I’m not looking to push it beyond its capabilities just see if it has a good accuracy somewhere in the charge lineup since I keep Varget on hand for other calibers and was just a small thing I noticed I got Berger information lists start load for 130 at 33.5 and max load at 37.5 the closest option as you said to use it for a different bullet was in my Hornady book which could be a dangerous load it says 130 gr eld match at 38.2 max and to start 35.5 I understand always work up but still that’s to close for comfort in my opinion

Spike, we usually will try 4-5 different primers on a load to see how groups and speeds respond.R#26 has a very slow pressure curve with no spike that we have found. We will try cci 200, fed 210, Win, cci 250, and fed 215. The groups may stay the same, but usually there is a primer that really shines with the same load and seating depth, then get it to repeat. It never ceases to amaze us at how much difference primer choices can make.

Tylerpresser, Varget has a serious pressure spike, be very careful. I was working with it, saw a very, very slight thinning of the lettering on the back of the case with one charge, then .5g higher and it blew the primer completely out of the case.

H 4350 with bullets in the 130g-140g area, and H4350 is the mack daddy powder for the vast majority of shooters for the 6.5 Creed....if they can find any.

I have been wanting to try Hunter powder.

YA makes sense and how stable is h100v I can be anywhere from -35 to 80 outside so am I going to have to watch for pressure on hot days or will it be pretty good and I would love to find H4350 but seems they are always sold out on the day I am there

Back