How much does your rifle weigh?

In my quest to lighten my load, I completely redesigned my AR-15. My 16" 6.8 SPC was pushing 11 pounds EMPTY! It shot well but I was tired of hauling that sob around.

Here's my parts list for my current rifle's configuration and the total weight.

Remington R-15 receiver set and lower parts kit, buffer tube
Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger
Ergo grip
Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector
Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock
Spike's T2 buffer
Unknown endplate rear sling mount
Magpul polymer trigger guard
BCM Mod 2 charging handle
Spike's Tactical M16 BCG with adjustable gas key
Aero Precision UltraLightWeight 1" optic mount
Trijicon TR20-2 Accupoint 3-9x40 Amber MilDot optic
Midwest Industries LWM12G3 12" m-lok handguard
Wilson Combat 16" Lightweight 6.8 SPC II barrel
2A Armament titanium lo pro gas block
BCM gas tube
Form 1 all titanium suppressor (ZmachineworX baffles)

All told as it sits empty at 7 pounds 10 ounces.

So I saved nearly two and a half pounds by switching from the Bison Armory 16" Recon barrel, the Troy TRX Exreme handguard, LaRue mount, Magpul MOE stock, and my SDN6 suppressor. I know I could save more by going to a titanium BCG or at least lightweight BCG, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now. It's accurate and reliable so far. I no longer feel it towards the end of the day.

So how much does your rifle weigh and are you happy with the weight?

1787.jpg

16in, .308, Magpul MOE stock, Nikon 4-12x40mm Coyote Special, 3lb trigger.

11.5lbs with a loaded magazine.

14lbs with fully loaded mag and YHM-30 cal stainless suppressor.

image1 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Ruger American ranch is about 7.5 pounds with Leupold 3-9x40 and sling

Stevens 200 with laminate Boyds stock, Leupold 3-9, harris 13-27 inch bipod and sling is just over 10.

Ruger M77 tang safety varminter in 243 with a Nikon prostaff 3-9 and sling is just over 9.

I just put a Boyds walnut stock on my Axis in 223, I have yet to weigh it. I am guessing around 8 pounds.

The Ranch is super nice to hunt with, very short, light and is tack driving accurate. You do lose some velocity out of the 16" barrel, most 55grns come out around 2800fps, those same rounds do 3,020 out of my 20 inch AR15.

Last edited:
My Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 creed weighs in at 6lbs minus bipod.. just took it out to play yesterday.. set steel (10x10) @ 795.. a Pepsi can was placed on the bank behind at 825.. just for grins.. 3 rd shot....guess I won't be drinking that one...lol
My buddy who has never shot my rifle preceded to hit the steel with his first 3 shots... He had a grin from ear to ear..

He's selling off his 6.5x284 plus a couple ot ][/url] her rifles he rarely shoots... I bet he has a creedmore in hand by this coming weekend....

I'm down to four bolt action centerfires. CZ Carbine with a 2.5-8 VX3 is right at 6 pounds 12 ounces. The other three are about 7.5#. I find 7.5 +/- with a 22" barrel to be a pretty good compromise.

Originally Posted By: Jim ByersMy Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 creed weighs in at 6lbs minus bipod.. just took it out to play yesterday.. set steel (10x10) @ 795.. a Pepsi can was placed on the bank behind at 825.. just for grins.. 3 rd shot....guess I won't be drinking that one...lol
My buddy who has never shot my rifle preceded to hit the steel with his first 3 shots... He had a grin from ear to ear..

He's selling off his 6.5x284 plus a couple ot ][/url] her rifles he rarely shoots... I bet he has a creedmore in hand by this coming weekend....

I have the Adirondack in 308 with a Swarovski z5 on top. Weighs 6 pounds even without ammo. Very accurate gun.

It took my buddy two days to find a creed.. He went Christianson arms...mesa.. I can't wait to help him break if in and do some testing..

After banging that steel repeatedly at 800 with mine.. the grin on his face told me he was hooked..Lol

Originally Posted By: barkOriginally Posted By: Jim ByersMy Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 creed weighs in at 6lbs minus bipod.. just took it out to play yesterday.. set steel (10x10) @ 795.. a Pepsi can was placed on the bank behind at 825.. just for grins.. 3 rd shot....guess I won't be drinking that one...lol

I have the Adirondack in 308 with a Swarovski z5 on top. Weighs 6 pounds even without ammo. Very accurate gun.

Good to hear, been looking at these in .308 but have come across many poor accuracy reports. I'm a stickler for accuracy which is why all my rifles are too heavy.

Both my small frame and large frame weigh 10lbs with optic, looking into getting a sub 6lb rifle for tracking. Surprised to see so many 10lb + rifles but I guess thats reality these days.

I was using cheap hornady American Whitetail ammo in 155 grain bthp. The group was 5 shots, shot at 200 yards and measured 15/16 outside to outside. If I minus .308 for center to center, it would be under 3/4". I just got this rifle set up, so I don't know if this is a fluke or not, but so far I'm very pleased.

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724
1787.jpg

Now that's a beautiful rifle. Looks a lot like my Daniel Defense Ambush Firearms AR15 5.56 rifle. Mine has realtree camo on it.

My AR15 5.56 weighs about 7lbs or so and when I add the scope mount and the scope and other accessories like a night light it weighs around 10 lbs
It's pretty heavy.

I have a Remington Model 660 in 222 cal and it's only about 6 lbs

I'm still shooting factory as well.. tried a half dozen or so loads but it likes hornady precision 143 eldx the best..
I have a hundred of these bullets, federal primers and some h4350 sitting on my bench.. Just haven't had the time to roll some yet.. I hopefully can squeak a little more out of her. But honestly, for what this rifle is intended for, I couldn't be more pleased as is..

This ain't a bench gun... she was born to hunt...

I just had a bartlein 3b 22"contour chambered and threaded in 243. With the hs precision sporter stock vortex viper scope 700 rem Action bipod and ammo it was over 12 lbs. that's a lot more than I wanted to carry around. I can't stand a heavy rifle they are tough to shoot off hand and it's hard for me to hit running shots. When I ordered it I had a brux no3 and pacnor no4 so I was thinking this should be perfect. I'm not happy with it. Tooooooo heavy!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rudymontanaThis question is sort of like asking your wife what she weighs? Rudy

No, the question "How much does your rifle (singular) weigh" is like your girlfriend asking you how much you love your wife
w00t.gif
tt2.gif

Christensen Arms CA15 3 Gun, 18” carbon fiber barrel with titanium brake, carbon fiber hand guard,
Leupold VX5 HD with CDS 3.5 x 15 x 44 scope, 10 round mag (it’s a hunting rifle and I went for as little weight as possible).
Total weight is exactly 7 lbs.
The gun had a lot of rise at the barrel end when firing, I guess due to such a lite weight barrel. I spoke to CA tech support and was told to remove the front 2 or 3 adjustment screws from the top of the brake and that should fix it. Removed 3 screws and now I can watch the puff of fur blowout the backside immediately after the shot. I ordered this rifle after my Bushmaster Varminter was stolen. I wanted something a lot less weight and just as accurate. I can cover a 3 shot group with a nickel when shooting Hornady Superperformance 53 grain V max ammo.

I’m searching for a backpack style open top scabbard with MOLLE system that I can carry this rifle in. I plan to add on pouches for caller, stool, sticks, and needed accessories. If anyone knows of one let me know the brand.

Back