Thinkin about a .22 Nosler

jk2paintworx

I have a couple .223 uppers and a 6.5Grendel upper and I have the itch to build another one. Considering a .22 nosler. I am looking to get the best ballistic results out of a AR15 platform and I want to shoot factory ammo. So far I am really liking the Grendel but curious about the .22Nosler. Is this round catching on and does it seem like more manufacturers will start offering ammo?

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxI have a couple .223 uppers and a 6.5Grendel upper and I have the itch to build another one. Considering a .22 nosler. I am looking to get the best ballistic results out of a AR15 platform and I want to shoot factory ammo. So far I am really liking the Grendel but curious about the .22Nosler. Is this round catching on and does it seem like more manufacturers will start offering ammo?

Two different worlds between the G and the N. The G won't ever be good for colony critters and the N. will never be good for bigger game as in bigger deer and elk. Usable yes but not ideal.

I believe it has a foot hold in the market but I also believe that Nosler will be single source on the ammo for a long long time. I'm quite sure that it will be a single source of empty brass for those of us that stuff our own for a long long time.

Unlike the G. everyone in their dog was waiting for BA to release his strangle hold on his round. The Nosler on the other hand was a birthday cake for the whole industry. They sent reamers to every well known barrel manufacturer in the US that had any name in the market. Not all barrel companies were the best but all were well known. The rest of them got to order their reamers and they were available quickly.

For fur I would say the Nosler is fine in the factory loadings. BTW This new Valkyrie from Larue will be a ballistic twin to it except they cut the case back and bumped the shoulder for the 90's that are worthless in the game field IMHO.

I've heard reports of decent groups from the factory 22 N stuff and I understand they are coming out with a few new loadings. I personally load everything I shoot so the factory stuff is nice if one fellow doesn't do his own. I feel the 22X6.8 that I've been shooting for the past four years is superior to any of the offerings out there in several aspects but without a press in front of you it is a no go.

If you desire to shoot heavy bullets then the 6.5 is your ticket. it pretty well tops out at the 123/130 level but it will get it done. It would do fine on coyotes but won't give you that 400 + yard laser we all love. The factory stuff shoots well with many of the barrels Ritch and I use in both the Grendel and 264 LBC producing phenomenal groups with it.

Lots of choices and decisions based on what you want to do. An enviable position to be in IMHO. I own all four of the cartridges mentioned so I think I grasp how they do relatively well.

I would avoid the STONER/BCA 22 Nosler. I just returned mine to Midway with some nice 4" groups. They refunded my money 30 minutes after it hit their mail room!! Now we are negotiating over the brass it ruined at mid-level loadings.

Greg

Last edited:
The factory Nosler 55 bts are 3500 plus out of my 22" WOA 12 twist. The poi is dead on with my 3500 plus fps handloads with the same bullets and a max load of cfe223 as well as a 3300fps varget load.The factory stuff if 1 inch or better for 5 shots. When I do my part the rifle will hold .5" for 5 shots. I love the round but I have not tried heavies as I have 6.5x6.8 that loves 90 tnts and 95 v max and a 6x6.8 in the works that will be better suited for heavier pills if I desire.

Last edited:
I did have the 40 Noslers in a handload in a 24" Black Hole tube that Ritch build for me running a comfortable 4000+. It shot a five shotter of 0.636 at 4070 with 8208 but it seemed to like H322. 100 yards with three in each. It shot OK I guess.

AgKZhAr.jpg

Greg

Greg, did you ever come to a conclusion of my brass is of lower quality compared to yours? Maybe I should pressure midway for a refund on my nosler brand brass.

I haven't shot the NOSGAR brass but the regular 22 Nosler you sent did show a bit more damage than my new box. It is certainly a bit softer. I shot it in my BHW 22 Nosler and feel the gassing difference was also s factor. Once I get the last little batch shot I'll write it up. Just a hint though those Varmageddons didn't reach the target several times and hit sideways on others in my 8 twist.

Greg

I am having success pushing the varmegeddons hard out of my 24" 12 twist WOA barrel with the Hagar brass.

it has an extended length gas system and still chews up the nosler brass bad.

I also added a h3 buffer along with a heavy buffer spring to delay the action and saw some improvement.

It may be a variation in the type of rifling. I suspect some of the newer bullet designs don't act like the old school stuff. I do know that mine will never see VMAX bullets loaded to the hilt. The jackets are just too thin on the 50's above 3700.

Greg

I intended on pushing them hard so I chose 1-12 twist

otherwise It may just be the luck of the draw.

I hate to be the one to say it but the 22 nosler could have been better designed.

The 22x6.8 has it beat in simplicity.

I wouldn't mind trying a 22x47l of you could talk rich into machining one out for me? Or possibly punching out this nosler to 22beast.

My Nosler brass is ridiculously soft. After 4 or 5 loads cases start to bind in the bolt because they have increased in diameter that much.

However my Stoner barrel is quite accurate, certainly better than moa with 50 gr zmax, which is all I've tried. I'm getting just over 3400 fps from the 18" barrel. Hopefully it gets a chance to put down some coyotes tomorrow.

I'm going to try the Hagar brass at some point but I have a bunch of this Nosler stuff to use up.

The 1;12 was s good choice but by switching to Noslers I kept the best of both worlds. ..lol

You'd need to talk to Ritch about that but I suggest you just relax. You never know what's coming out of the Skunkwerx next. The computer modeling I've done looks mucho gusto.

Greg

Last edited:
I just bought a pile of Thompson center compasses. More than likely the 22-250 will cause this nosler to be ignored, possibly sold lol.

Hmm. New models... Could I be a guinea pig?

Originally Posted By: 204 ARMy Nosler brass is ridiculously soft. After 4 or 5 loads cases start to bind in the bolt because they have increased in diameter that much.

However my Stoner barrel is quite accurate, certainly better than moa with 50 gr zmax, which is all I've tried. I'm getting just over 3400 fps from the 18" barrel. Hopefully it gets a chance to put down some coyotes tomorrow.

I'm going to try the Hagar brass at some point but I have a bunch of this Nosler stuff to use up.

That's expensive brass to trash in five shots or less. I'd rather shoot a 223 in that situation. I was getting 3400+ out of my 18" 556 with the Nosler 50's using published Western Powder loads.

Greg

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueI just bought a pile of Thompson center compasses. More than likely the 22-250 will cause this nosler to be ignored, possibly sold lol.

Hmm. New models... Could I be a guinea pig?

If it works you might have the option for one of the first barrels for sale. Ritch snd I have kind of a set process on wildcats. He and I talk. He designs a reamer and then a couple boot action barrels are made. He will actually pressure test various loads and hopefully we'll get an understanding of what it takes to make it cook.

On this one we plan to work out the case in an AR also. I have to work my magic with some manufacturers in the AR world for some special parts as this really is a departure from the same old same old.

It's going to cost us quite a bit out of pocket but when we finish it will be neatly wrapped up and ready to fly.

Greg

Thanks. Ritch has managed to educate me on a great deal involving wildcats. I just bring a little to the table with math input and a world view toward ballistics. We think so much alike it's amazing and that is s great plus.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 204 ARMy Nosler brass is ridiculously soft. After 4 or 5 loads cases start to bind in the bolt because they have increased in diameter that much.

That's expensive brass to trash in five shots or less. I'd rather shoot a 223 in that situation. I was getting 3400+ out of my 18" 556 with the Nosler 50's using published Western Powder loads.

Greg

So you've said. I've never gotten close to those speeds with a 223 but I'll take your word for it. I will admit that out of all the AR's I've had only the first 2 were 223's so it's been nearly 10 years since I worked with one. I know a case full of 748 behind a 50 gr nosler yielded under 3k in my 20" Colt Hbar. I'm sure there are better powders for that weight class but it's just not a caliber I plan on working with, too common lol. I like odd ball rounds, they fit my personality lol.

Also worth noting that I got a smoking deal on the Nosler brass so I'm not really worried about it. When it comes to hunting, the cost of reloaded ammo is by far the cheapest part of the whole deal.

Actually I think the OP said factory ammo so I don't know why I brought up brass. This or the 204 are probably the best games in town for what he wants.

Load data straight from Western. Speeds were done with a LabRadar. I shot these for speed and made no attempt to work up a bug hole load. This clearly shows pressure is king and with a 55,000 MAX the Nosler is hobbled compared to a 57,000 22X6.8 and a 60,000. 556.

b3iwUL5.jpg

Brass got involved because it's something most of us look at to stretch the budget. I could never afford to shoot all factory and 80% of what I shoot is not even available factory loaded.

Greg

My woa 12 twist with a max load of cfe223 and a 55 bts does not damage even midways very early batch of the Nosler brass. I use the gb and tube that woa sends with their barrels

My 22 Nosler is a 22" Shilen barrel with 1/10 twist. I've only shot the factory 55gr ballistic tips out of it and have been more than happy with the accuracy. Not to mention I've put down 3 yotes with it that have all been DOI with minimal fur damage.

I'm not into reloading so the limited options of ammo does irk me some as I'd like to try a 45gr or 50gr bullet to see the results.

Back