DBAL D2 mount question

sendit223

Anybody running a Steiner DBAL D2? Mine has what I'd call a loose mount when I compare it to a LaRue or ADM.

The reading I've done online indicates you can replace the mount by modifying the Larue LT271, but the big problem is getting the old mount off. I tested the screws and they are indeed ON THERE. The other post indicated lots of red locktite once he got the screws out. I'm not really keen on heating up the screws because that will heat up the DBAL.

Any insights are welcomed.

Sendit

Hmmm, I've got three of them on Sig 556, Sig 716, KAC-15, and HK 556 and they all clamp on perfectly.

Some rails are not full mil-spec but have not run in that problem myself?

As SP stated, some rails may be out of Mil-Spec and if the rail is painted this may also cause fit issues with some mounts. Why I like LaRue stuff in cases like these.

Heating up the screws is usually the best bet to get them off.

I tried the DBAL D2 mount on a Seekins Precision rail and that's more snug, but not what I'd call "Larue tight". I've got a Seekins rail inbound and I'll try that before I start heating things up.

Thanks for the replies. This mount is the only shortcoming of the D2.

Sendit

So to close this one out. I sent my unit back to Steiner and they fixed the mount under warranty. The whole process took about 3 weeks, but it was worth it. The new mount locks down very well on all the rails I had tried before. Defective mount.

Sendit

Sendit, I apologize for not seeing your follow-up reply back in July...
frown.gif
Glad Steiner took care of it.

Back