TS Customs 22BR

orkan

I had a BAT Tactical action laying around forever, so I had Travis @ TS Customs (www.tscustom.com) put together this sweet 22BR for me. This thing sure has potential. Here's the rifle and some results with the first firing on virgin lapua 6BR necked down to 22. Using a very mild load early on here to just get some time on the barrel. I'll step on it a bit after it's broke in and see what it's capable of.

Beautiful isn't it?
U07Jt0Ch.jpg

Build list:
BAT Tactical action
McMillan A3A stock - Molded in colors (Red 80%, White 10%, Black 10%)
20" Benchmark 8 twist MTU contour barrel - large spiral contrasting flutes
Hawkins DBM w/pic rail barricade stop
Timney 517 trigger
22cal Thunderbeast Ultra-7
Nightforce alloy rings
Schmidt & Bender 5-25 PMII w/GenIIXR reticle
Atlas PSR bipod
TS Customs KMW QA knob

Cute little things. Our 6BR AICS kits ensure reliable feeding. ... of course I needed a red set for this rifle.
C0Lhfe0h.jpg

4w6lD7Xh.jpg

Not very fast... but as I said, I'm running a mild load. Sure shoots well.
tkdBqZuh.jpg

Dp6xLfmh.jpg

cxKpbwrh.jpg

HhvonO2h.jpg

8mAV0hyh.jpg

This guy showed up when I was experimenting with load. Took an 80gr attitude adjuster right in the noggin. A reward for digging a hole in my lawn.
uGAjJUGh.jpg

First dot drill:
O9ylJ3eh.jpg

My eyes were glazed over once I read BAT action and TBAC suppressor which are two of my favorites. Nice looking rig!
thumbup.gif

Okay, that's just downright cool! Very nice rig.

I like your first dot drill target too. That's an interesting approach vs. shooting groups. I think I may just steal that...

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI think I may just steal that... http://www.primalrights.com/library/downloads

There ya go.
smile.gif

Dots are half inch, so if you put the center of the bullet or better into one you're hitting within 1/4moa of POA. Truly shows if you're field capable or not.

Shooting little tiny groups isn't really hard. Having them centered on POA is harder.

Orkan, What powder/bullet are you running. I have heard the 22BR is a very efficient. I want to say buddy of mine runs 80 VLD with like RL15? Heck I cannot remember powder, but his is a laser.

Very nice looking rifle orkan.

I purchased a slightly used - 20 rounds fired 22BR early this past summer. I was actually looking for a 6PPC or 6mm Grinch but I could not pass up the deal I got on the 22BR. I am limited with a 1-14" twist barrel but it easily shoots in the 1's with Varget and 52 Bergers. I shot a little Varmint for Score with it and did very well. The 22 cal bullet makes it a little harder to get the X's which are needed to win and is not as score friendly compared to the 30 cal bullets but it sure is fun to shoot. I have since replaced the 30 year old BR scope I had on it with a newer brighter scope so I am hoping my old eyes will see the bull's better. I bought it for PD's and RC's but have not been able to use for this yet.

Last edited:
It is to ensure you are able to make each shot its own. We use it heavily in the training classes we put on. Emphasis on NPA and all true precision rifle fundamentals. The dot drill shows any problems that exist with the shooter/rifle combo.

Small groups - precision. Hitting that little dot a bunch of times - accurate. Seems like there would be value in shooting that sheet of dots with a break between each shot. Shoot, get up, move around, get back on the rifle, shoot, and so on. That tests not only the accuracy of the rifle but the ability of the shooter to consistently set up for the shot. Do it from field positions and you'd really be testing yourself. And training for the PM Egg Shoot at next year's convention.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DesertRamSmall groups - precision. Hitting that little dot a bunch of times - accurate. Seems like there would be value in shooting that sheet of dots with a break between each shot. Shoot, get up, move around, get back on the rifle, shoot, and so on. That tests not only the accuracy of the rifle but the ability of the shooter to consistently set up for the shot. Do it from field positions and you'd really be testing yourself. And training for the PM Egg Shoot at next year's convention.
smile.gif

There are countless different things that drill can be used for. You outlined one. Shoot one, get up, get back down, shoot another. Go against the clock, cold bore/shooter testing, one shot per day, etc. Tons of different drills that the dots can be used for.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: DesertRamI think I may just steal that... http://www.primalrights.com/library/downloads

There ya go.
smile.gif

Dots are half inch, so if you put the center of the bullet or better into one you're hitting within 1/4moa of POA. Truly shows if you're field capable or not.

Shooting little tiny groups isn't really hard. Having them centered on POA is harder.

Great looking rifle and thanks for sharing the link to the targets. Those dots will be awesome for at the range
thumbup1.gif

Very, very nice!

The .22BR is my all time favorite colony varmint chambering. Mine are both slow twists for p-dog poppage. But inherently accurate, mild, long barrel life, wicked performance, jewelry brass, just love the .22BR.

I have an 8 twist Lilja with a shot out .22-250AI chamber, goes on a Nesika/Jewel/Six/NF rig. Has plenty of shank left to cut off all the old chamber and re-thread and still be a good 27". Always meant to have it redone as an 8 twist .22BR but never got around to it. Still have all the stuff though, including a thousand of the old 75 Amax and a bunch of the old Berger and Sierra 80's.

The barrel that is on that rig now though, is a 14 twist .22BR that shoots legitimate sub 1/4 MOA.

- DAA

Back