Cavity Back 105gr MKZ 6.8 SPC

I've been looking for the do-all bullet for my 6.8 SPC. I traditionally used 110gr V-Max, 110gr PTS (S&B), and this year I'm giving the 90gr Gold Dots a try.

I've since discovered the Cavity Back 105gr MKZ for the 6.8 SPC. It is an all copper bullet, with a cavity bottom for more case capacity and better flight dynamics, also on expansion 3 petals open up to around .637" if I remember correctly.

I've been reading some positive things about them on Elk, Deer, and Hogs. I am wondering if anyone has experience with thinner/smaller animals like coyotes? I hunt in Texas and Oklahoma so our coyotes are as small as 20# to up to 45#. 99% of the shots we take are within 200 yards.

Thanks

Go to loanstarboars.com and look at all the videos they have done on the subject. Just type cavity back in the search engine. They will blow a coyote to pieces and drop it on the spot. Not fur friendly

If your targeting coyotes specifically I think there are better and cheaper options in the 6.8. Most guys using them are targeting hogs and just happen to run across a coyote.

Last edited:
I am also looking to try them this fall. I havent found anything yet that shoots as well as the old SSA Barnes load out of my 18" BHW tube. Let us know what load you settle on.

Got the 105gr MKZ ordered and will try Accurate 2200 with it. Probably start around 27.5 and go up to 30 if there's no pressure signs along the way. I want some speed but accuracy is important also.

I settled on 29gr of A2200, Hornady brass, cci450 primer, 2.280 COL. About 2745fps.

29 was starting to show a little bit of primer flattening, 29.5 grain showed really flat primer and huge ejector mark. I decided that was enough. It was 89* and I hunt in much cooler temps than that so I should be good. Accuracy looks promising as is. Might try to play with the COL a little bit though.

I'm using a 50/200 zero, so it's about 1.5" high at 100y, perfect.

16" Wilson Combat LW barrel, form 1 suppressor, Trijicon TR20-2 Accupoint 3-9x40 optic.

Back