Shotgun Hunting for Coyotes

Southern_Pred

Any of you guys hunt coyotes pretty much exclusively with a shotgun? I like a shotgun, simply because down here in the south, there are very few wide open expanses that really call for a rifle. Most of my shots are 50-60 yds max.

Last edited:
I carry a shotgun and a rifle to ALL of my stands. I've had coyotes come within 10 yards of me in wide open fields and I've had shots at them at over 100 yards with a rifle in thick stuff. All you need is one opening and a stationary dog to make it work. I don't get out but only a few times a month so I don't like to chance it by not having both.

Lots of shotgun info here. That little white Google Custom Search bar will give you enough reading to keep you busy for a good while.

Since last November, I've been carrying both on stand. It's a huge pain in the butt but it's netted me two more dogs than I would have gotten without the shotgun.

I am getting to where I prefer the shotgun hunting more than rifle. Last year I killed 6 with the shotgun and missed 2 rifle shots. This year I have two rifle kills and nothing within shotgun range. Been a weird time but I feel like I'm getting my rifle mojo back a little.

I carry one or the other, rifle or shotgun. Pretty often, I wish I had the other one. The other morning, I called in a five pack. Five coyotes, coming in abreast, in a ragged skirmish line. Ran past me with the closest one 25 yards away and the furthest about 55 yards away.

Had my rifle. Short version, I didn't even take a shot, but at least my partner killed one of them.

But... I was sooooooo wishing I had my Benelli in my lap right about then!

- DAA

Most of where I hunt, shotgun seems to be the best tool. There are some times when I wish I had the rifle, but those are few and far between. Winter seems to open up things a bit and the rifle comes out more but you can't beat a boomstick for when they come charging in close.

Yep, do it all the time. One key to shotgun hunting and one of the greater challenges is properly setting up your stand. If you do it right, a shotgun is a great tool. Do it wrong, and you will be frustrated time and again. Just learning to set up a stand correctly can be tough though. Stick with it, be observant while on your stands and reflect on the stands. What worked, what didn't, what can I do to improve the stand. It can be one part of why this sport is so much fun.

Yup, I carry both when I get to heavier cover, but mine are both the same gun. It is one of the reason I like combo guns, mine have one or two shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel on the same gun.

I carry both to every stand and I have for many many years. I probably kill at least half of my coyotes with a shotgun. It doesn't matter if it's wide open or tight. I have 2 quads in the last 2 years, all with the shotgun and all withing 30 yards. You can sure make a pile of coyotes real quick when they're close and you have a shotgun in your hands. It's worth the "pain" of carrying it to every stand.

I need to start carrying a shotgun on my stands. I've had a bunch of close up shots that I've missed because I couldn't find them in my scope quickly enough. I missed out on a double that way last year -- I looked up and those suckers appeared out of nowhere, 10 yards in front of me. A shotgun would have sure come in handy.

Quite often I carry both a rifle and a shotgun if I am by myself.

If I have another guy with me we always have a rifle and a shotgun shooter if we are not both using shotguns.

In wide open country we don't try to stop the coyotes. If the coyotes want to run right up to the FoxPro the shotgun shooter stops them.

In new areas that you don't know, you can find a place to make a shotgun stand in just a few minutes. With a rifle you may wander around for 15 minutes and never find a good rifle stand.

Check out the below link for one of my shotgun stands from last season.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...4376&page=1

I started carrying both when hunting woods but never saw anything to shoot at & the weight was too much. Here I walk long ridges hunting sometimes 2 miles 1 way. Decided to get a combo gun & bought a tikka 12gu/.222...It was not 3" & fixed choke that did not shoot very tight with several loads but the biggest detterent was that the rifle shot 15" lower than the center of the pattern & was not "regulateable"(no way to move impact point). I sold it & made a couple hundred then bought a "Marrachi" after doing some research on here & other sights. Shoots 3/4" groups @ 75yds. with .222 that I centered into the shotty pattern at 40yds.. It is now my only woods gun. 22.250 goes on field hunts at night.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I use a shotgun most of the time.You'll need to get them closer than 50-60 yds though.That's pushing the limit with a 12g.

I've heard that TSS is really changing the game for shotgunning coyotes, and 60 yds is very doable.

I've been using a shotgun for a few years now. I used to take both on stands but now usually decide on one or the other. It has cost me a few but usually the cover dictates which will probably be best. One frustration I've had is runner with the shotgun. A good piece of advice I've gotten from folks here is to shoot for the head. They go down quick when I do this but at times I revert back to the just behind the shoulder hold like I do with a rifle. I'm trying to break myself of that. I would suggest you look at the huge coverage on shot gunning in the firearms section. One very important part is on pattering your gun and choke combo to find which shells work best for you. I have 3 shotguns and all three like different shells. One that has worked in at least two is the Winchester Varmint X. These are BB shot so I keep my shots at 40 yards and under. Inmost of the places I use the shotgun its hard to find a spot I can see much over 40 yards but that is partially on where I chose to set up. I like to make them feel secure and give them cover to approach.

I'm really enjoying shotgunning coyotes, a lot. And for a fact, I fairly often wish I had whichever gun I'm not carrying. But I don't see myself ever carrying both a rifle and a shotgun. I do this stuff for fun. Carrying a rifle, a shotgun, the caller, my seat, my sticks and two coyotes does not sound like fun. And I have enough trouble working with just one piece of equipment at a time as it is. I'd likely make a mess of things trying to put a rifle down and grab a shotgun or vice versa.

And I just don't much care if a few coyotes get away now and then because I don't have a rifle, or didn't bring a shotgun. It's just a coyote. They'll be another one soon.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Southern_PredOriginally Posted By: Bernie P.I use a shotgun most of the time.You'll need to get them closer than 50-60 yds though.That's pushing the limit with a 12g.

I've heard that TSS is really changing the game for shotgunning coyotes, and 60 yds is very doable.
You heard right.Thing is it's VERY expensive and you have to be set up for reloading.I am but I'm not willing to pay that much regardless.Besides if most shots are 50+ I'd bring my .223 instead.

I'm a rifleman.....never cared much for anything without rifling....bought tons of different ammo....did the whole patterning drill... carried the Benelli twice, IIRC....never pulled it's trigger.....I'm still a rifleman, plain and simple.

Very rare that I get them in that close where I hunt anyway and as Dave said,

Quote:And I have enough trouble working with just one piece of equipment at a time.

My rifle is an extension of me, but the shotgun is not so in my case, I feel it would, or at least could, be a safety issue to try carrying both.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Originally Posted By: Southern_PredOriginally Posted By: Bernie P.I use a shotgun most of the time.You'll need to get them closer than 50-60 yds though.That's pushing the limit with a 12g.

You heard right.Thing is it's VERY expensive and you have to be set up for reloading.I am but I'm not willing to pay that much regardless.Besides if most shots are 50+ I'd bring my .223 instead.

Exactly. Dead Coyote T-shot works great but again, VERY expensive. Personally I have had no problem with good old fashion #4 buckshot.

Biggest issue is people not shooting their shotguns enough to know where they hit at given distances. You can VERY easily miss with a shotgun. Practice, practice, practice.

Back