Just for fun....

OKRattler

I got to talking about night vision on here earlier and then I got to looking and I just wondered about a few things. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to what is good and what isn't other than obviously the more expensive it is it's probably a step above the others.

Since night hunting is illegal in Oklahoma I don't need anything too crazy because I only go to Texas to hunt with some friends a few times a year if I'm lucky. They're getting into this night vision and thermal stuff and I'm still old schooling it with my kill light. Which is all fine and everything but I'd like to get in on some of the other stuff. I'm not up with the times I guess you could say.

I just wondered how well the Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42 would be for a guy that just wants to go out and keep up with guys that have all these cool gadgets that I don't have? I still want to be able to kill hogs and predators without going all out on something I'll only use every once in a great while. I won't be shooting at anything past 150 yards or so. Would I still need an IR that's pretty decent with that scope or from the way I understand it there's IR built into it so maybe not? I've hunted hogs with thermal but it wasn't mine so I'm really uneducated on anything that isn't a kill light that sits on top of my scope.

When it comes to IR torches and thermal and what good night vision is....I'm clueless. No night hunting allowed in Oklahoma so I think my ignorance is understandable. But I hunt in a state that allows you to have fun as well so I'd like to be more edumacated on dat dere technology thingamajig by golly...lol

Anyways I'm throwing around the idea of getting something to at least make it look like I live and hunt in the year 2017 so any information on that particular setup would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I swear I'm advanced enough that I don't just carry a flintlock or wear a coon skin cap. The tail tickles my neck....and I hate that....

Last edited:
The Photon will allow you to make kills at that distance and positively ID your target as well, but you will need a good IR add-on light in 850nm.

Not to side track your thread, but, its not legal to hunt hogs or coyotes at night in Oklahoma?

Was thinking of doing some hog hunting there, but this will really change those plans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BocephussNot to side track your thread, but, its not legal to hunt hogs or coyotes at night in Oklahoma?

Was thinking of doing some hog hunting there, but this will really change those plans.

I think you might want to read his post.

Last edited:
I did, thanks. It was more of a confirmation of my understanding from what he wrote.

It looks like there are some exceptions to the rule with landowners, and curious how that relates to gray areas with outfitters and the like.

But I will re-read his thread 13 more times to see if it answers that.

Any other useful tips?

Last edited:
I shoot a Photon 6.5x50, and it works very well for what you want with an external T-20 illuminator. Coyotes and fox out to 200-250 I would go the 6.5, but if it is mainly hogs with a few coyotes and the range is mostly 125 and in, I would get the 4.6x42. It will do all you need and save a few bucks. If the 6.5 model, don't get the L. Save $50 and get the S, since you are going to be putting a T-20 on it anyways.

Thank you guys. I've got plenty of reading to do. I figured I'd probably need a good IR light to really get out to that distance but I wasn't exactly sure. Being able to confirm what I'm shooting at was my biggest concern.

Bocephuss-From what I understand if a landowner has a depredation permit they can kill hogs and possibly coyotes and any other nuisance they might be having problems with at night. I know it's that way for hogs for sure. I guess a depredation permit is required just so a game warden knows what's up if someone reports gun shots at night or something.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI shoot a Photon 6.5x50, and it works very well for what you want with an external T-20 illuminator. Coyotes and fox out to 200-250 I would go the 6.5, but if it is mainly hogs with a few coyotes and the range is mostly 125 and in, I would get the 4.6x42. It will do all you need and save a few bucks. If the 6.5 model, don't get the L. Save $50 and get the S, since you are going to be putting a T-20 on it anyways.

I might as well get the 6.5x50 then I'm thinkin. I'm glad you brought that to my attention.

Thank you sir.

Last edited:
I appreciate the info OKRattler. Guessing a depredation tag is difficult for an out of stater to get, ha. Good luck in your scope search.

Ok, I'm going to try something new on embedding a video. Hopefully it works the way I want, if not I will try it a different way. This is a video I took with my Photon from my front yard the other night. Red fox at a dead even 100 yards. My daughter was standing there with me asking me if I was going to shoot it. Since that was my 243, in town (more or less), and there are goats/donkeys in the lot behind it, obviously I couldn't shoot. But pretty neat video.

OK, it didn't work the way I wanted, but CLICK ON THE PICTURE and it will take you to my Flickr page where you can watch it.

The light I have on there is a cheap $20 T-20 I got off Ebay, and had HTRN modify with a brighter bulb and rheostat tailcap for $50. I still need to do a little tweaking with the co-witness on the light.

I know lots of folks use the Wicked Lights adjustable light mount. I have one but just am not that crazy about it. It doesn't lock down the way I would like it too, mine has lots of play in it. I found this one and ordered it. So far I like it a lot better than the other one.

https://www.amazon.com/Elevation-Adjustable-Picatinny-Flashlight-Illuminator/dp/B06XGCS6PV

123239 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

Last edited:
Actually I have one of those, I didn't think about that. That would be an excellent way to do it since the insert rotates in the ring. But since I have this set up already, I guess I will just keep it this way.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXOk, I'm going to try something new on embedding a video. Hopefully it works the way I want, if not I will try it a different way. This is a video I took with my Photon from my front yard the other night. Red fox at a dead even 100 yards. My daughter was standing there with me asking me if I was going to shoot it. Since that was my 243, in town (more or less), and there are goats/donkeys in the lot behind it, obviously I couldn't shoot. But pretty neat video.

OK, it didn't work the way I wanted, but CLICK ON THE PICTURE and it will take you to my Flickr page where you can watch it.

The light I have on there is a cheap $20 T-20 I got off Ebay, and had HTRN modify with a brighter bulb and rheostat tailcap for $50. I still need to do a little tweaking with the co-witness on the light.

I know lots of folks use the Wicked Lights adjustable light mount. I have one but just am not that crazy about it. It doesn't lock down the way I would like it too, mine has lots of play in it. I found this one and ordered it. So far I like it a lot better than the other one.

https://www.amazon.com/Elevation-Adjustable-Picatinny-Flashlight-Illuminator/dp/B06XGCS6PV

123239 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

I'm amazed how clear everything is in that scope with the setup you have. When I'm after hogs I'd say 100 yards is more of what I'll be shooting at realistically. I sneak up on them pretty close if I can. But having the capability to see further and identify my target is good to have because having that 100 or closer shot isn't always possible every time on every animal you're hunting.

I have a Wicked Light mount I'll try first and I can always buy that other one if I decide I don't like it.

Thanks for taking time to post that video. I'm pretty set on the Photon 6.5x50. I think it'll work great.

I took that video standing, using my Manfrotto tripod and Pig Saddle. It pans pretty good. When the video first starts that corner post is right at 100 yards. When he stops it is closer to 90 or 95, but by the time he gets down to the other corner it is more like 120 or so.

All light, while using NV, is not created equal. In many ways it is just like a daytime scope. If you have the sun behind you, you will see really good. Shooting into a rising or setting sun, you get a lot of flare. Same with NV. Depending on the quantity and angle of ambient light, it can really affect your image. 1-2 hours after sundown, with the moon behind me, I have shot 6" steel plates at 200 yards with no external illumination. But in my front yard trying to see past the streetlight, with it reflecting off my bare metal suppressor, can be tough. You just have to learn how to use the light to your advantage. Which, coincidentally, puts the light at the disadvantage for your prey. Just like using the sun to your advantage in the day, use the moon and other sources to your advantage at night.

That does make sense. I've heard certain things such as fog is no good for night vision and from what I've heard the brighter the moon is the worse off you are? I have somewhat of a dumb question but after buying the t-20 flashlight you just send it in and it becomes compatible with night vision? And it then becomes an IR light or is it mainly just to pick up eye shine while scanning? Because I figured looking through a scope while calling might not be ideal but that's probably what I'll do unless you'd recommend scanning with a hand held light to have a wider range of view.

I got to thinkin about that and wondered what other people do. I don't mind scanning while looking through the scope I just wondered if I'd be an oddball doing that or not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattler
I got to thinkin about that and wondered what other people do. I don't mind scanning while looking through the scope I just wondered if I'd be an oddball doing that or not?

Some guys do scan with there rifle but I have to believe it's the minority. All kinds of reasons not to, and I'm not about to preach. 99% of the guys I know use a scan light, I always used a headlamp. It was on the entire time I was on stand, I'd transition to the gun light once eyes were spotted.

I bought the photon and scanned with a headlamp but quickly realized it defeated the purpose of NV IMO. I since have switched to thermal to scan. If I had it to do over again I'd recommend purchasing thermal to scan with and shoot with lights.

Those scenarios pertain to coyotes and fox in NY, no experience with hogs.

I know exactly what you mean and I don't exactly know what made me think of that but I'm glad I did. Huntin hogs is way different than predators. I'll go so far as to say they're pretty hard to hunt with lights. Thermal or night vision is the most effective method for reducing hog numbers in my opinion.

In my experience hogs get just as wary of humans and they learn that lights mean trouble. I've hunted them with thermal and lights and I've seen hogs book it out of there when a light hits them. With thermal we scan fields,get the wind in our favor and walk out to them. Most of the time we get within 100 yards or closer.

That would be next to impossible with a coyote. They can see far too good at night. But having said that I haven't seen many coyotes spook with a light. But like you said using lights kind of defeats the purpose. The two could be used effectively together I believe but it's just kind of a different way to go about it especially since the point of thermal or night vision is to go undetected. So I have some thinkin to do to figure out exactly how I'm gonna go about doing this. I just feel like there's so much left unseen when you're looking through a scope. Hogs I'm not so worried about. One quick look will tell you if they're there or not and if they're out there stuffing their fat faces they won't go anywhere. Predators don't stay in one spot for long unless they're sleeping.

Last edited:
My plan from the beginning was to have one unit on the rifle for shooting, and then eventually some kind of handheld or helmet mounted unit for scanning. That is still my plan. That pesky budget gets in the way though and I have to save up and get things a piece at a time. I will get there, it may just take a while.

From what I hear positive ID is easier in NV, and scanning is easier with thermal. They complement each other. I have no actual experience in that, let me make that clear. It is just what I have heard. At the time I bought my Photon, there just wasn't any way I could afford a thermal weapons sight. Prices have come down quite a bit over the last few months though, maybe opening up the realm of possibility for the future.

When I bought my Photon I bought it for eventual use when night calling, but for immediate use on hunting over bait sites and dead cows. I have several calls every winter from ranchers with dead cows that the coyotes are hitting. Our coyotes are pretty dang light shy, and trying to do that with white/red/green lights just wasn't cutting it. For sure I killed some, but could have killed a whole lot more with that Photon. Sometimes I get the chance to hunt pigs over bait or in fields as well, and the Photon will work for that without a scanning device either.

I think that scanning with the Photon on a rifle is do-able under the right conditions, though far from optimal. A tripod or calling rack setup helps a bunch. The Photon is heavy and arm fatigue will set in. A controlled set up where you knew the lay of the land and who/what is out there would help too. I admit I am not very crazy about scanning with a loaded weapon if you are not sure what is out there. I am pretty careful about my night setups though. I like good backstops, shooting down into canyons/ravines where I know my bullet isn't travelling past the distance I can see. Setting up where you don't have to scan 360, maybe just 180 would help too.

I am hoping within the next 2-6 months I will have some type of scanning device as well.

Back