1-6 scope for a/r

rhunter2

I am looking for a scope for my a/r for coyotes. Plan on putting a nice one on it. I am really interested in the vortex razor gen 2. I do not think the weight would bother me. The other scope I am interested in is a meopta r1 or r2. I know that these won’t transmit light like a 56 objective, but how do these work on the last few minutes of light and on moonlit nights? I have missed opportunities on to many without having something lower than 3x. Most of my shots are within 250 as well. Thought about getting a bigger scope and attaching a small red dot. Please share any experiences. Thanks.

I moved away from the 1 power variables because of low light quality appeared to be not as good as other optics and I never kept it on 1x. The gen 2 PST might be better, I never looked through one. Did you look at the Razor LH line? The 1.5-8x32 or 2-10 might be worth considering.

I have an older Alpen optics 1.5-6x42mm with a German #4 and illuminated dot that works well. I would think that a Leupold VX-R 1-4 or 2-7 would work well. Remember that a 56mm objective on 3x will be no brighter than a 20mm objective on 3x, the 56mm shines when you get from 4xto 8x and higher. A heavy duplex plus an illuminated dot works really well if the ill. dot can be turned down enough not to blind you in the dark. I had a Elite 4200 1.25-4x24mm with Ill. dot that couldn't be turned down enough in the dark but was great on dull /overcast days in the forest.

I run Leupold Mark AR 1.25-4 Fire-Dot on 2 Rock Rivers. I really like the dot for low light shooting but leave it off most other times when hunting coyotes.

If your shooting distance is within 250 yards and you can see the coyote plainly - you might consider a red dot, such as an Aimpoint with 2moa dot.

Sighted in at 200 yards you're golden and it's light weight.

The Razor is a great scope but at night it's not any more effective than a red dot. If your set on a scope - might take a look at the Burris XTR in 1-8X24.

Any of these small objective scopes are a little difficult with dim light or against a dark background, so the hash/tick marks can be very difficult to see and one then needs to turn on the illumination, which on the Burris is less than a quarter inch dot, which is nice.

OP - you are already on the right track if you are considering either the Meopta r1, r2 or the gen 2 razor. I own both r1 and r2 Meopta's and used to own a gen 2 razor 1-6.

In my opinion the r2 Meopta is hard to beat for the money. The illumination on all 3 of those scopes are right up there with any elite scope. They can go dim enough to not flare in low light and bright enough to be visible in the brightest daylight conditions.

If you can stretch the budget a bit the Kahles 1-6 and Swaro 1-6 are the absolute best but non of the above are going to limit you in low light.

I would also look at the brand new Eotech Vudu in the 1x6 if that is in your budget. It will do everything that your looking for. The glass is amazing and it has a 30 mm tube.

Originally Posted By: Captramrod01OP

If you can stretch the budget a bit the Kahles 1-6 and Swaro 1-6 are the absolute best but non of the above are going to limit you in low light.

These or the razor would be hard to beat, to my eyes the only thing better is the 1-8 minox but a whole different $$$ class.

I've been really impressed with my Trijicon TR25 green MOA reticle 1-6x optic. Not sure I'd want it for coyote hunting, but shooting pigs it would be awesome. I use it for 3 Gun matches.

Back