MORE Night time Doggies - BLACK DOG DOWN - BDD?

Smokin250

As if last weekend wasn't cool enough...I had better night last night.

Had one farm I wanted to hunt, the corn was just pulled off of. Headed out for quick set.
I hunted this farm last year, and saw dogs 3 out of 4 times I hunted it. I always liked this farm. Anyway, I was walking in and pick eyes up right behind barn I park truck at. Watch it for a bit with my PVS and decided this is a coyote, but something is off. Slowly set my tripod up, and get rifle on it. Still, something seems off about this, but could not place it. Got on the gun, yep coyote, bang flop. Now I am scratching head, something is off....I don't know what or what, but its off. I watched the coyote long enough, and followed his mannerisms to know its a coyote, but something is just off. Walk over there, and could tell right away with my night vision what is was, but flipped my light on quick to confirm....BLACK COYOTE!! First one I have ever seen in my life.

So, I drag that one back to farm road and keep walking back to where I am wanting to hunt (another 500 yards or so in this cut corn field). Get all my stuff set up, and do a quick scan of field edges. Eyes, get on gun, coyote? Na...rabbit I think...? But its 250 yards or so? It was low to ground, so I figured it wasn't a coyote. Started set with Male howl, and holy chit I was surrounded. I had 4 pop out into field in front of me (rabbit in question was in fact a coyote) 3 behind me came out into field, and one to my left (never saw this one. This was an o sh!t moment. Too many targets can be an interesting issue. I ended up shooting 4 more of the 7 that were in the field. That were not phased one bit by the shots, and if my adrenalin wasn't pumping so bad, I would have had more. Furthest killed was 257 yards, closest was roughly 85 yards (didn't walk it off). I ended up loosing one of them in corn stubble, and for life of me cannot figure out how. I even went back with white light and scoured field for 20 minutes, no dice. Now here is crazy part, 2 more had black in them. They weren't fully black but still had it in them. Even their claws were different colors, black/brown. That's why I was so thrown off on first one, it was a solid color, I did not realize it until later that's what was throwing me off. Anyway here is the picture of the 4 I recovered. It is extremely hard to make out the color variation for some reason. Probably the poor pictures I took, but I was a little shaken up, and dead tired after dragging all four of them back 900 or so yards to truck.

Most coyotes I have ever seen on one set for sure, there was total of 8 I saw I believe. shot 5, recovered 4. Heck of a first week of the year, 8 in the truck so far!!

Smokin,
Well done , you’re making me a believer in night hunting for sure . Were the black ones the same age? Just thinking theyre siblings , just a thought .

they were all similar in size, odd thing is that they were split up. 2 separate sets up them, opposite sides of field. Which I am sure doesn't have any significance. Just thought it was strange

Odd colors for sure. The top seems to be the most normal looking. The third from the top you can sure tell he's an oddball.

I don't do much night hunting but good scores are fun.
The coloring sure sets them apart.
Setting up closer to the truck sounds better.
tongue_smilie.gif

I called my taxidermist this morning, who I give a lot of coyotes too. He skins them out and keeps for customers. I asked if I could bring over, but he was out today, hurt arm or something. So I took the black one and wrapped it up and stuck in freezer. The other 2 dark ones I skinned out to have tanned. The one on top was more or less destroyed. Hit back a little and opened it up bad. I am going to take black one to him and see what he thinks. I am on fence about having it mounted, but feel like chances like this only come around once and a while at best. Hate to think about the bill, so we will see.

Ill keep after em!

I don't blame you for wanting to get that yote mounted. If I ever shoot a black one it's going to get full body mounted. That's too good to not take to the taxidermist.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI don't blame you for wanting to get that yote mounted. If I ever shoot a black one it's going to get full body mounted. That's too good to not take to the taxidermist.

I have been thinking this since I read it yesterday. Im silly for not getting it full body mounted. Ill for sure kick myself later if I don't.

Ill have to work behind the dumpster at Wal-Mart for a bit though

I feel the same way because if you keep showing pictures of all this stuff you're killin with night vision and all this stuff, I'm gonna have a lot of money tied up in a rifle I only shoot a few times a year when I go to Texas.lol

You can always keep that coyote in the freezer and put money in a coffee jar labeled "coyote taxidermy donation" or something. Drop some dollars and a $5 bill in there every once in a while and you're good to go. You keep these night time doggies threads up and I'm gonna get me a few coffee cans ready.

Friends help friends spend money. You know how that goes.

Last edited:
Yeah I have met some expensive friends on here....not mentioning any names.

I have a huge deal with waiting when I want something. So ill most likely drop this off this week and have him put me in line. I am supposed to be picking my buck up from last year in next few weeks. He loves taking my money.

Here is the deal, you need night vision. I mean, you cant put a price tag on happiness. right?

Your welcome

The good thing about taxidermists is that they usually take a year or close to it to deliver, so gives me time to save up those pennies.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Yeah I have met some expensive friends on here....not mentioning any names.

I have a huge deal with waiting when I want something. So ill most likely drop this off this week and have him put me in line. I am supposed to be picking my buck up from last year in next few weeks. He loves taking my money.

Here is the deal, you need night vision. I mean, you cant put a price tag on happiness. right?

Your welcome

I don't know if I "need" it but I don't "need" most of the things I have so I agree with you. I've used thermal on hogs and I loved it so I believe I'll end up with one of the two at some point. Then I'll decide I need a .300 Blackout upper and a suppressor after that and before I know it I'll have a $10,000 rifle I shoot a few times a year instead of just buying the scope. I can already see it happening now....if that happens I'll just have to make way more trips to Texas is all...problem solved.lol....I guess.

In the end I don't think either one of us will regret spending money. Whether it's your black coyote mount or me buying some very expensive equipment. That money is replaceable.

Last edited:
wow that's great. lots of coyotes shot and spotted, and even got a black haired dog .
That darker black haired coat would look a little odd to what your used to spotting on the NV image .

You shooting a kn203 model ?

I run a 253 on my primary, and 203 on secondary. And yes, the black coyote threw me off a little bit, but it wasn't until later that I put all of the pieces together as to why.

OKRattler, when I decided I wanted to get into the night stuff, I took a long look at it first. It was a considerable jump for me, and I had no idea that it wasn't even the half of it. I have spent way more now than I ever thought I would, but that's besides the point. I work 6 days a week, and late most nights. SO, I figured if I got something that made it so I was able to hunt when I got off work then why not. That was literally my deciding factor in the whole thing. Well...and I looked through a buddies simrad, and that sold me. NOW that I have everything I couldn't imagine not having it. Not only have my coyote numbers shot through the roof, I have picked a ton of more farms up, I hunt way more, I shoot my night guns all the time (try), and I just have way more fun with it than I ever thought I would. Not to mention, my friends never mind going out to practice at night with me, haha. I rarely shoot at night alone for some reason.

Back