What do you Guys think of th Savage MSR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor?

TheOldMan1

Looking at the Savage MSR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Will be used for Hogs, Deer and Coyotes in South Georgia. Hunting will be in Hard Wood Swamps, as well as open Fields, with shots being 25 yards to 300 yards or more.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and my opinion is a little mixed.

I like the size and weight but I changed several things up. I did not like the grip or butt stock so I replaced them. The trigger was terrible IMO so I replaced it with a Geiselle SSA-E that I had left over from some previous builds. I also added an ambi safety when I swapped out the trigger.

I do like the adjustable gas block, lower adjustment tension screw, and M-Lok handguard.

I had to remove the muzzle device for my suppressor and it was a real PITA. I finally had to use a reaction rod to hold the upper and there is no telling how many ft lbs of pressure it took to break it loose. The torque was way overkill for a muzzle device and I assume the guy at the factory just put whatever it needed for timing without any consideration for the guy that has to remove it. This seemed sort of contradictory to me since they sell the rifle with an adjustable gas block for a suppressed setup.

The rifle also seemed way over sprung to me. It was hard to cycle the charging handle and it felt like there was a lot of friction and grinding in the buffer tube. I am guessing that they used a heavy buffer and spring since this rifle comes in 308 and 338 but it felt like way too much spring to me for a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I replaced the factory buffer and spring and went with a Kynshot 308 Hydraulic buffer and JP Polished 308 carbine spring. It cycles a lot smoother now and I was able to dial the gas block down 1 notch. I think I will be able to take it down another notch after more break in. Felt recoil was also reduced with the new setup.

Range results were not overly impressive but I did not have a good scope to work with. The only scope I had to test accuracy with is a 7x Leupold hog scope with a fairly thick reticle but I could still tell what was grouping well and what wasn't. I don't reload so I tested several different factory loads.

I ended up deciding on the Hornady 129 grain Interbond American Whitetail ammo. It grouped the best and I was shooting 1.25 MOA at 100 yards. The groups seemed to tighten up some the more I shot so I am hoping for an MOA rifle after running some more rounds through it. I could borrow a better scope from a friend and maybe get better results but I'm going with it based on what I got with the 7x hog scope. This should be good enough for hog hunting since all shots after the first one are at runners which doesn't exactly call for pinpoint accuracy. If I can get a decent group with a thermal scope then I will hunt with it some and see how it does.

I think the 129 grain Interbond will be an effective bullet for hogs but field testing will be the only way to confirm that.

I bought this rifle for hogs and I wanted to try it since I am not happy with the results I have had in the field with a 6.5 Grendel. It is not performing as well as my 6.8 SPC so I was getting ready to build another 6.8 upper when I saw this rifle. I will field test it and if it does not perform as well or better than the 6.8 I will sell it and replace it with a 6.8 upper build.

Last edited:
Thanks Gman757, this is the type information I am looking for. I to, like the adjustable gas block, and the adjustable lower tension screw as well as the M-Loc Hand Guard. I am not wanting to buy something then have to rebuild it. I was looking at Building what I want when I found the MSR-10. May have to take a closer look at Building one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheOldMan1Thanks Gman757, this is the type information I am looking for. I to, like the adjustable gas block, and the adjustable lower tension screw as well as the M-Loc Hand Guard. I am not wanting to buy something then have to rebuild it. I was looking at Building what I want when I when I found the MSR-10. May have to take a closer look at Building one.

I have tried 3 previous AR10 rifles in 308 for hogs and every time I talked myself into one I got in the field with it and could not justify the size and weight when the 6.8 SPC does such a good job killing hogs. The main reason I was drawn to this rifle was the caliber and weight. IMO the Creedmoor will give me a little more downrange energy without the 308 recoil.

According to the information I see it is a proprietary forging by Savage and it seems a lot closer to an AR15 than the AR10 when you handle it. The bolt is definitely a different design. As as example there is a metal sleeve on the firing pin to support a firing pin spring. I assume the spring is there it keep the firing pin from riding on the primer when cycling and help alleviate the chance of a slam fire.

You might want to go ahead and give it a try. Everybody has different tastes and the things I didn't like might not be an issue to you. I figured for the price of the rifle I could take a small hit and sell it if needed.

This is the best way I could think of to give you an idea of the size of the upper since I no longer own an AR10 but I still had a charging handle on hand.

----------------------------AR15--------------MSR10---------------AR10

L2X8agI.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Remington R25 in 308 with an ATN Scope, it is accurate but the weight is to much for walking and Hunting the Swamps and edge of Fields, and my R15 does not have enough punch for running hogs. I think Savage is trying to provide a good product. Besides the Gun Shop that is going to order it for me will help me make any needed changes with me just paying for the Parts.

Thanks again for your help. If I don't change my mind before Tuesday when the Gun Shop opens again, I am going to order it.

Originally Posted By: TheOldMan1 Thanks again for your help. If I don't change my mind before Tuesday when the Gun Shop opens again, I am going to order it.

I agree with your decision. Take it out and shoot it and if you decide to make any changes or add any parts like I did you can always take them back off and use them on an AR10 build and sell the MSR.

Last edited:
That is kind of what I have in mind. I will run a 100 or two rounds thru it and determine what it might need. Going to try several different Factory Loads, and some of my Reloads. Hopefully I will come up with something good.

Back