22 Creedmoor dies

6.5 redding type s bushing dies would be the way I would do it. Then you could load 6.5, 6, 22 creedmoore with just the change of bushings.

Originally Posted By: zr6006.5 redding type s bushing dies would be the way I would do it. Then you could load 6.5, 6, 22 creedmoore with just the change of bushings.

This is exactly what I use...

I loaded my first few this way, and then my OCD kicked in and I sent fire formed brass to Whidden for a custom set. Def not the cheapest route, but they are super slick.

Either way will work, but with the 6.5 dies, you may not fully bump the entire shoulder.

Originally Posted By: zr6006.5 redding type s bushing dies would be the way I would do it. Then you could load 6.5, 6, 22 creedmoore with just the change of bushings.

That would get really old resetting a sizing die for proper bump on nearly a daily basis. I guess you could load large quantities of each one at a time, but that might get expensive having all that money tied up in brass also.

I understand a lot of folks do it, but it's not for me.

CZ527
What were you thinking was the best method?
I was just thinking, a person could have 3 or more 6.5 CM sizing dies. With one set up to do each caliber assuming you had all 3 or potentially any other variants. Of course that also gets expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: zr6006.5 redding type s bushing dies would be the way I would do it. Then you could load 6.5, 6, 22 creedmoore with just the change of bushings.

That would get really old resetting a sizing die for proper bump on nearly a daily basis. I guess you could load large quantities of each one at a time, but that might get expensive having all that money tied up in brass also.

I understand a lot of folks do it, but it's not for me.

Not if you set it for the shortest case and then use Skip's Shims. Moving it up XXX 0.000's is fast and quick and you never adjust die.

I happen to have four LBC's in various calibers and the chambers are as identical as I can determine. All I do is swap bushing and go ahead on. I also have 6.8 variants that I am able to leave set also.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 357cj5Duh, why didn't I think of that? All that college edjamacation apparently was for naught.🤣

I suppose because most of us over think the issue. I figured it out back in the 70's when 38 Special dies from RCBS came with a shim to let you load 357's with them with no adjustments.

Greg

BTW I use to load 2" 12 gauge shells the same way on a MEC until I bought a conversion table for the 3.5" set up. Now it's just like a regular deal. No muss, no fuss.

I think that a die with a PMA unit attached or maybe a new Whidden click adjustable sizing die would do the trick.

Excellent thinking.

I'm still not going to use a bushing die though, unless one day I have to.

The other suggestions weren't me saying anything was wrong with the shims, I just didn't know about them. I think I need one for post annealing.

Last edited:
Just remember that those hash marks are only reference marks. Just because you go down .001 does not mean that the brass will Yield .001 in reduction. Rockwell hardness of brass varied as much as 6% though the lot#.

Lapua brass necked down from 6 Creed will be the best but you will end up having to neck turn.

I am a gadget and tool freek, but a lot of the fancy stuff still will get you back to the basics in making an adjustment, then measure.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman Lapua brass necked down from 6 Creed will be the best but you will end up having to neck turn. I'm pretty sure lapua 6 creedmoor bras isn't a thing.

Though you can do it from 6.5 with a few more passes.

Back