What about iron sights?

NMCoyoteHunter01

Out of curiosity do any of you use iron sights for calling? I am thinking about getting iron sights for my AR. Not really for calling mostly for plinking but still curious. Also just the normal inline sights or 45 degree with a scope? Thanks?

I grew up using only iron sights on 22s and 30-30s. I feel it made me a better shot. With that being said, I don't know why you would want to handicap your self hunting coyotes with iron sights. At the very least, a red dot would work much better than iron sights.

Just my $0.02

I ve always preferred iron sights. But I always liked to hunt in thick cover and my shots were usually fairly close. With age, my eye sight makes iron sights harder to use. Most of my rifles now have scopes and I think I can aim faster than with iron sights. I also have found that hunting the more open edges is much easier for me. The days of wearing hip boots and going into brush on my hands and knees seems to be coming to an end.
But, iron sights are still my favorite way of aiming if the shot is at reasonable distance. Unless I am calling within shotgun distance I carry a scoped rifle. I have a AR with both types, best of both worlds.

I had offset irons for a little bit. Never used them. I've shot coyotes as close as 15 yards with my main optic on my AR, it's a 3-9x40 Trijicon Accupoint Mil-Dot crosshair. I just keep it on 3x and if they're close I try to aim higher up on their body due to the mechanical offset, but really it's just finding fur and shooting if they're super close like that. Never had a problem with close running shots either. Everyone is different though.

Don't do much calling anymore, but in the past used iron sights successfully. Of course a long poke would be 300yds at the time. I still use strictly irons on my boat/truck/ rifles,only because I don't have to worry about them being knocked out of zero anywhere near as much as with a scoped rifle.
I myself find irons faster for "snap shots". Also see what happens when you take a scope from a heated environment into a below zero one. Not going to see anything for a while.
I can't imagine not having a least one rifle with iron sights, just for such reasons.

Last edited:
I've used iron sights, mostly peep style sights befor my eyes went bad but I will say that I find low power scopes to be much faster and more effective in heavy cover as there is no need to lineup three different things. I've tried red dots/reflex sights and still find a low power(1-4, 1.5-6) a much better option.

Over unders! Got a 6.5-20x50 on the way to replace the 3-9. Figure irons are better for me from 100-150 in on a coyote, scope the rest. Also have had over unders on my rifles

With an AR you can put on flip up irons that co-sight with a red dot. Mine has magpul flip ups, and a Vortex Strikefire. I can flip up the sights and turn on the Vortex, and the red dot is right there on my front sight. Some scopes could probably do this too. If batteries go out, you still have sights. If you don't want irons for certain things, fold them down and they are out of the line of sight.

I haven't hunted coyotes with this rifle, but I prefer a scope, even at 50 yards over the Strikefire or irons.

Lodgepole +1.

I have to agree with you on that. When I could still use iron sights a reciever sight was my go to sight when still hunting when the snow was falling. You can just blow on them to clear them without having to worry about fogging them.

Back