Animals running toward shot

ViperACR

Has anyone else had animals run toward them after shooting at them or one in the group with a suppressor ? I have had this happen with antelope a few times, elk once and coyotes two times. Seems they think the shot is behind them and they go away from the sound. This is Colorado but I don't partake in 420, this has really happened to me.

Last edited:
Suppressors mask the direction the sound is coming from so that's exactly what's happening. They don't know which way to go and may run towards you instead.

Don't need suppressor for it to happen. Most of the animals I shoot at have a hard time running.
wink.gif

Had it happen in Texas when I was huntin with one of my buddies using his .300 Blackout. I was sitting on the ground with the rifle on a bipod propped between my legs. We snuck up on a group of over 20 hogs at around 75 yards away and I cut loose. Shot 15 times,hit 14 hogs. Part of the group ran to our left and the others ran straight at us. I was shootin the hogs running left and never paid the others any attention.

My buddy pulled on my jacket and started laughin. He said "They're running past us!" About the time he said that I felt dirt hit me in the side of the face and I look over and a could see fast silhouettes in the dark. A bunch of pigs were running by. If I'd have had better reaction time I could have reached out and caught at least 3 smaller ones that literally ran over my left leg. I don't know how big the one that kicked dirt in my face when it went by was. I just saw white fill the thermal scope for a split second. My buddy said he couldn't believe I didn't get stepped on. At least 8 ran by me. Other than that I don't think I've ever experienced anything running towards me like that. It was a pretty memorable experience.

Those hogs were running around in circles after the shootin started. I basically chased them all over that field with bullets. Seemed like every time a pig would squeal they'd change directions.

Last edited:

It happens a lot of the time hog hunting. This is an open field at close range and the pigs still ran straight at us.

Originally Posted By: roky0702Suppressors mask the direction the sound is coming from so that's exactly what's happening. They don't know which way to go and may run towards you instead.

the point of impact of suppressed fire can be louder than the shot itself. with the source of the shot maked by the suppressor, its easy to see how animals can get confused downrange.

shot my first deer last fall suppressed (first taken with suppressor, not my first deer). there were others in the field... they acted super strange when the shot went off. ive seen deer do strange stuff over the last 25 years of hunting when a shot goes off, but this was a whole new level of confusion. they didnt know what to do or how to react.

from the shooting position, i was able to hear the bullet impact. it was a lot louder than i expected. i'd been shooting critters with suppressed subsonic 22lr for a while before that and thats REAALLY obvious when it comes to bullet impact - sounds like a wet *THWACK* type of noise. but i was not expecting to hear what i did at 100 yds with a supersonic round.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: roky0702Suppressors mask the direction the sound is coming from so that's exactly what's happening. They don't know which way to go and may run towards you instead.

the point of impact of suppressed fire can be louder than the shot itself. with the source of the shot maked by the suppressor, its easy to see how animals can get confused downrange.

shot my first deer last fall suppressed (first taken with suppressor, not my first deer). there were others in the field... they acted super strange when the shot went off. ive seen deer do strange stuff over the last 25 years of hunting when a shot goes off, but this was a whole new level of confusion. they didnt know what to do or how to react.

from the shooting position, i was able to hear the bullet impact. it was a lot louder than i expected. i'd been shooting critters with suppressed subsonic 22lr for a while before that and thats REAALLY obvious when it comes to bullet impact - sounds like a wet *THWACK* type of noise. but i was not expecting to hear what i did at 100 yds with a supersonic round.

Spot on... Bullet impact is loud

Tim is right, you don't need a can for this to happen.
This has happened to me many times with several species. Sometimes it has allowed a second shot at a closer distance for the score.
Oh and WA offers the green weed too, maybe all that smoke is affecting the animals judgement.

They usually run toward me if I miss high and it impacts behind them. They sure don't seem to be able to tell where it's coming from. Definitely more follow up shots with a suppressor.

I shot an antelope a couple weekends ago with the 243 Wssm suppressed. He fell straight down and the rest of the herd moved 100 yds closer and gave my BIL a shot at another buck. He missed...unsupressed, and they ran off.

We are not shooting suppressed, we spot and stalk bedded Fox and coyote. You never want to shoot short, miss high and often the Fox or coyote will jump up and move away from the sound of the bullet passing over(towards the shooter). More common with my 17 rem then something bigger like a 22-250.

My buddy Nate got off a shot at a coyote on Sunday. The coyote jumped, trotted off behind a bush and stopped. Nate was able to get a creep going on him and followed him for a second shot. His .223 out of the Griffin Optimus was hard for us to hear. Suppressors really can get you a second or even a third chance.

Rolled one with the shotgun(40 yards)going away, too far back and it swapped ends and charged straight at me and killed it at 6' with the rifle barrel on the combo gun.

Last edited:
It happened again to me. I made a stupid rookie mistake hunting white tail this week. I was a full rev off on my elevation turret, yes 10 mils but on zero. It was dark when I got to my stand and used my light to check that I was on zero but didn’t look at the rev counter.(yes hard to admit) I shot at a deer that was standing 108 yards away and shot way over him. I saw a branch break way over and behind him in my shooting lane and instantly knew what was up. I cranked my turret down to the zero stop and dropped him at 60 yards. He had come straight toward me down the lane. I was hunting WI but maybe this second hand smoke here in CO is affecting me!

I killed my biggest 8 point on the opener of WI gun season. He had 5 other bucks out in the field with him. At the shot, the others looked around and went back to feeding. The next day, I shot a doe and dropped her in her tracks. The other deer looked around slightly alarmed, but then went back to feeding. So I shot another (head shot so I would waste any meat!) Thanksgiving, I took my 5 yr old out so he could hopefully see a deer being harvested. Had a couple does step out. I shot one and it dropped in its tracks. The other trotted off, only slightly alarmed. She came back and started feeding in the food plot.

I was using a DPMS G2 308 with a form 1 suppressor and 150gr Accubond handloads.

Needless to say, I'm hooked!

Last edited:
Last year I had a boar hog run straight at me and my son after I shot his girlfriend at 35 yds with a .300 BO sub. He did not see me just ran Straight toward us. My son stopped him at 10 yds with one round of 0 buck to the face.

Back