Las Vegas Shooting 50 Reported Dead 200 Injured

I've only seen a few pics of the room. something that I noticed is a lack of spent brass in those pics.

he was in a suite which is pretty big, so maybe most of where he was shooting was not in the area those pics are, I dunno. It just seems that with maybe over 1000 rounds fired there should have been a helluva mess of empty brass laying around.

of all the mass shootings in america that occurred during o's (not saying it had anything to do with o, just identifying the time frame that this number is from) 8 years, 60% were done by people who were under the active treatment by mental health professionals. not one of these people were seen to be a threat to themselves or others by the doctors they were seeing.

most people with mental illness simply are not violent & it would seem that even the ones who become so are pretty damned hard to detect before they act, even when under regular observation by trained professionals in the field.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI've only seen a few pics of the room. something that I noticed is a lack of spent brass in those pics.

he was in a suite which is pretty big, so maybe most of where he was shooting was not in the area those pics are, I dunno. It just seems that with maybe over 1000 rounds fired there should have been a helluva mess of empty brass laying around.

i can picture him kind of leaning out the window while shooting. maybe a lot of brass on the ground below the windows?

Understandable that it is very difficult to determine source of gunfire (or other loud noises amongst tall buildings as sound echoes off other structures, but heard last night that some of the mirror paned windows of surrounding buildings reflected the muzzle flash which would add to the confusion.

Anyone heard any clarification of time frame. Sheriff reported repeatedly that shooter fired for 11 minutes and room was breached in 18 minutes yet printed accounts mention taking 72 minutes to locate the shooter.

Regards,
hm

The sheriff said it was 72 minutes to the time they breached. A lot lot of time was spent room clearing on the same level of the shooter, but since he had stopped shooting by then, they understandably had difficult time locating the exact room.

I believe I saw some black out curtains. They could possibly explain the lack of brass if he had them draped behind him.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Rocky1Local news said authorities still have not determined a motive, but they're focusing on last October, because he purchased 33 guns that month. I'm thinking that's the month Trump started truly showing signs of kicking Hillary's @ss in the election, with the announcement of FBI findings in her numerous probes.

HOWEVER... IF they know that he purchased 33 guns that month, that apparently means there was a record of those purchases. Any of you guys keep a record of your previously owned firearm purchases for tax purposes??? I think not. Any of you buy all your previously owned firearms with a credit card? All of mine were bought with cash. So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess, there is an NCIS record of 33 purchases in one month.

Since it appears many of those purchases would have been ARs, why weren't bells and whistles going off at NCIS??? Maybe I'm wrong here, but it sounds to me like the Government and their illustrious background check system have once again failed, but as usual the Democrats want more background checks because that's going to fix what already isn't working. If they truly want to do something to improve gun safety in this country, they need to stop looking at outlawing accessories, and guns, and making more ignorant laws, and making more stringent background checks and start focusing on fixing the sh1t that is already in place and not working. None of which fixes a situation like this where someone goes off the deep end and spends a year plotting a mass murder.

meh. there were soo many NICS checks happening pre-election last fall, i can see 33 from the same person easily fall under the radar of the powers that be.

the panic buy based on the polls showing Hillary and the DNC was gonna win was well under way by then.

october 2016 was an all time high for october gun sales based on the >2.3 million NICS checks run and it was the 2nd highest year on record (after 2015) for total NICS checks at >22 million to date for the year at that point.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/...her-record.html

One must assume they use computers to perform the background checks... Wouldn't you think it might be real easy to install a

"Date of Last Search/Purchase"
"Searches/Purchases Last XX Days"

box or some damm something, so 33 purchases in a month don't slip through the cracks?

If they're serious about stopping incidences of this nature, as they suggest they are, one would think this would have been built into the software. I bought a .22 rifle in Florida, with a North Dakota drivers license, and the guy at the pawn shop was grilled for 10 minutes with questions concerning "WHY is he purchasing that rifle there." I realize they don't know what kind of rifle it was, but what difference did it make? It's not like people don't purchase guns out of their state of residence, all the time. I have absolutely nothing on my record, had a Concealed Carry Permit in my state of residence, why was there an issue? I'm relatively certain however, that not a lot of people purchase 33 guns a month, unless they're working for Barack Obama and Eric Holder. Bells and whistles should have been going off on-screen somewhere in the course of that.

Their failure should not warrant or dictate additional burden on law abiding citizens.

Originally Posted By: GCIs it illegal to purchase 33 rifles in one month?

I was wondering about this also. I thought,(don't know where I heard it) 7 firearms per month was the limit. Maybe unless your an FFL or a gun shop??? I don't remember.

I tried to do a search. Seems its different state to state. The print was so small, it was very hard to read. But 7 is not a good number.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCIs it illegal to purchase 33 rifles in one month?

Obviously not, but it would likely be an indicator of illegal intent... i.e. Gun Running, Straw Purchases, Assembling an Arsenal for illegal activities such as the one just encountered. Such activity might suggest someone in law enforcement look into this individual more closely.

At any rate, it's not normal. When is the last time you purchased 33 guns in a month? For that matter, 33 guns in a year? Fact is, the vast majority of folks won't purchase 33 guns in their lifetime. That doesn't necessarily mean you should be harassed if you do, but if you buy that many in a month, someone should maybe be knocking on your door.

Quote:Summary of Federal Law

Federal law does not limit the number of guns a person may buy in any given time period. However, federal law does require federal firearm licensees (“FFLs”) to report multiple sales of handguns to ATF and other specified law enforcement agencies.13 This reporting requirement was created to enable law enforcement to “monitor and deter illegal interstate commerce in pistols and revolvers by unlicensed persons,”14 though there is no federal requirement that law enforcement actually investigate illegal trafficking.

In addition, because long guns have become Mexican cartels’ “weapons of choice,”15 in 2011 ATF began requiring FFLs in four states along the Mexican border (Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas) to report multiple sales of certain semiautomatic rifles.16 More specifically, the reporting requirement applies to semiautomatic rifles with a caliber greater than .22 and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.17 FFLs who are dealers or pawnbrokers must report to ATF whenever they sell or transfer two or more such weapons to the same person at one time or during any five consecutive business days.18

The federal reporting requirements have helped ATF combat gun trafficking. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, “multiple sales reports provide ATF with timely, actionable leads that can enable it to more quickly identify suspected firearms traffickers and disrupt their operations.”19 During the first eight months after the long gun reporting requirement went into effect for four states bordering Mexico, ATF used those reports to initiate 120 investigations and recommended prosecution of more than 100 defendants in 25 separate cases.20

Federal law falls short in several respects and does not go far enough to ensure that gun traffickers are effectively investigated and prosecuted. First, federal law fails to require law enforcement officers to investigate the multiple sales or purchases of firearms that are reported. Moreover, federal law actually prohibits state and local law enforcement agencies from disclosing reports of multiple sales (other than those involving prohibited purchasers) and requires those agencies to destroy such reports and related records within 20 days of receipt.21 States like California have closed this dangerous loophole by requiring gun sales to be reported to state or local law enforcement. For more information, see our summary on Maintaining Records of Gun Sales.

Summary of State Law

Three states (California, Maryland and New Jersey) have laws limiting handgun purchases or sales to one per month.22

California

California law prohibits anyone from purchasing more than one handgun within any 30-day period. In addition, a licensed firearms dealer may not deliver a handgun to any person after receiving a notification from the California Department of Justice that the purchaser has applied to acquire a handgun within the preceding 30-day period. Finally, firearms dealers must conspicuously post in their licensed premises a warning, in block letters at least one inch in height, notifying purchasers of these restrictions.23

Maryland

Maryland prohibits any person from purchasing more than one handgun or assault weapon within a 30-day period. Under limited circumstances, a person may be approved by the Secretary of the Maryland State Police to purchase multiple handguns or assault weapons in a 30-day period. Maryland also penalizes any dealer or other seller who knowingly participates in an illegal purchase of a handgun or assault weapon.24

New Jersey

New Jersey prohibits licensed firearms dealers from knowingly delivering more than one handgun to any person within any 30-day period. With limited exceptions, people may not purchase more than one handgun within any 30-day period.25

See our summary on Trafficking & Straw Purchases for additional laws to prevent gun trafficking.

Selected Local Law

New York City

State-level efforts (described above) to restrict multiple purchases and sales of firearms generally focus on handguns, and usually limit purchases and/or sales to one per month. New York City, however, takes a more comprehensive approach. The City limits all firearm purchases (not just handguns) to one handgun and one rifle or shotgun every 90 days.26 Before a sale can occur, the seller must check with the governmental authority that licensed the purchaser to make sure the purchaser has not bought another firearm within the previous 90 days. This restriction is a powerful disincentive to gun traffickers, who prefer to buy and transport multiple weapons at one time. By preventing bulk sales, the City has taken an important step toward thwarting the accumulation of weapons in the hands of criminals.

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/crime-guns/bulk-gun-purchases/

The problem with the guidelines established in that article are... If you purchase 1 gun from 4 different Gun Shops, no one has the requirement to report a bulk sale.

I knew a guy that purchased a pile of 600 Mohawks for $99 when Remington announced they were going to discontinue making them. He hung onto them for awhile and started selling some for $149, he hung onto the rest and eventually sold them for $450.
Should buying a large number of weapons set off alarms, maybe, but this guy had no intentions of harming anyone and had the foresight to make some money down the road, it was an investment on his part.
I wish I had bought a bunch of factory ammo, or even just brass, for the 6.5 and .350 Rem Mag's when it was available, I would be doing a whole lot better than my IRA if I slowly sold it off at current prices!
laugh.gif

I do have a healthy stash of it, but it ain't going nowhere!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...nths/730634001/

Quote:Stephen Paddock, the man whose Las Vegas shooting rampage killed 58 people and left more than 500 injured, bought 33 guns in the past year, a law enforcement official said Wednesday.

Some of Paddock’s gun purchases date back more than 20 years, but authorities have determined that more than 30 of the firearms were acquired in the past 12 months, the official said.

The official who is not authorized to comment publicly said that most of the recent purchases were rifles. Authorities have been closely examining the buying spree in an effort to determine what drove the 64-year-old man to launch the deadliest shooting in modern American history.

Under federal law, gun stores are required to report multiple handgun purchases to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives but not multiple rifle purchases.

so yet again, looks like we got some bad info from the media early on. not shocking.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onehttps://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...nths/730634001/

Quote:Stephen Paddock, the man whose Las Vegas shooting rampage killed 58 people and left more than 500 injured, bought 33 guns in the past year, a law enforcement official said Wednesday.

Some of Paddock’s gun purchases date back more than 20 years, but authorities have determined that more than 30 of the firearms were acquired in the past 12 months, the official said.

The official who is not authorized to comment publicly said that most of the recent purchases were rifles. Authorities have been closely examining the buying spree in an effort to determine what drove the 64-year-old man to launch the deadliest shooting in modern American history.

Under federal law, gun stores are required to report multiple handgun purchases to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives but not multiple rifle purchases.

so yet again, looks like we got some bad info from the media early on. not shocking.

Oh no... not surprising at all. Don't know how many times I heard on the radio this morning that installing a bump stock would allow the AR 15 to fire HUNDREDS of rounds per minute. Finally, just after lunch, that got changed to, installing a bump stock would allow the AR 15 to fire rapidly, and Paddack had used one to fire hundreds of rounds into the crowd.

They're going to concoct the story and spin it everyway they can as to make the people believe we need more laws and regulations.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is why it is taking so long to get the story out while the MSM is spreading all kinds of disinfo and molding the gun control narrative while an official cover story is being manufactured to fit their narrative of how they want it to be and not how it really is.

The guy is probably either a patsy or a moo-slim connected to international terrorism or both and they don't want us to know that. They want us to believe he was a nutjob with access to unlimited amounts of firepower.

33 from FFL? Ain't nothing to buy up an entire estate sale...

If this truly is a false flag it is one heluva scheme... even the NRA is drinking the koolaid;

Back