Operation Man Cave - an ongoing project

It's been a couple weeks now, I had to wait on a couple of the sealers. But all concrete is sealed now.
The stalls got sealed multiple times with a Siloxane based sealer that penetrated and waterproofs, but does not have a film on top of the concrete and still allows it to breath. Moisture that may accumulate under stall mats would cause a topical sealer to scale off over time.

Stalls just sealed.

36602247411_6740d0e2c9_c.jpg

Dry
Beads water real nice

36345492830_cc038c3389_c.jpg

I chose a 30% solids acrylic sealer for both the interior and exterior broom finish concrete, as well as the center eight feet of the hallway. The hallway will have rubber mats going down the center and I saw no need to put the expensive polyaspartic sealer on it.

36602249461_2e299f6933_c.jpg

36345497810_63f259a352_c.jpg

36602252341_de58413f1d_c.jpg

36345502050_f11727e46c_c.jpg

35931987673_15dc6a92b5_c.jpg

That is some really nice work..

I found that for the mortar used like Stucco should be washed (rise it off with the hose several times over a week) before painting. It just seems to help the paint stick and stay. I think it has to do with the lime.

Turning green with envy.

The edges of the hallway, tack room and man cave get the more expensive, more durable, low maintenance, permanent polyaspartic two part sealer. Its like an epoxy, but more durable and more U/V stable, it wont yellow like epoxies will. The man cave floor will get stained and sealed later when finishing.

Making it cold was supposed to increase the work time of the product. Heat and humidity are two things that increased the quickness that the product would set up. Florida has a lot of both. The product can be applied to -20 degrees.
It set up fast here, very fast. No where close to the advertised 15 minute work time. 5 minutes tops, more like 3. It did not come out perfect, but not bad. I would want it nicer in my room or a house for that matter. I will seal my room on a cold day for sure. It was a good learning experience.

Not what you normally ice down for the weekend.

36602256461_5eb4df5df2_c.jpg

Advacoat Polyaspartic on the left, acrylic on the right.

35931991063_f76b30b4c1_c.jpg

35907110004_f396cee8ea_c.jpg

You can walk on this stuff in one hour! it goes on thick and is like a liquid thick hard plastic covering that gives a very rich, glassy look. So much shine, its hard to get a good picture with the mirror like reflection.

35907112014_02922e0def_c.jpg

This stuff is able to be thinned with acetone or MEK. I had lacquer thinner which contains both along with other stuff. I thinned the product and it immediately started heating and setting up in the bucket I had it in, poured it out and it was unworkable within 30 seconds. it was in the tack room which will have cabinets and such. Needless to say it has some thick spots. I'll just think of it as well protected.

This was a good product, but no joke to put down. You have to know what you are doing. The weather will play an impact on application.

http://www.advacoat.com/advacoat-floor-coating-products.html

With Irma bearing down, it was full steam ahead the week before to get the room dried in and secured. Man cave double as a safe room.
The weekend before I got all the ceiling joist/ trusses installed. I used the ground contact 2x8x12's (the dark green wood) from Lowes. Hurricane straps in the concrete wrapped around each. The outside skirting was nailed to the 6x6 posts. These boards had the extra treatment along with the extra weight. Rot and bugs should never be a problem. If you are asking why I used the dark green treated wood, it's all that they had at Lowes. Supposedly Florida building codes typically call for the ground contact rated wood in typical situations for the larger boards.

37054368595_dcfa208e70_h.jpg

I left my work project (St Petersburg area) a day early and went home. The day before the storm I was sheeting the roof. Not the finished ceiling. It will serve as a loft for the barn on the outside of room. Not sure what the finished ceiling will be.
Due to Florida weather and moisture in general, I used Advantech. It has a limited lifetime warranty and will last forever even while getting wet. I nailed it all down with galvanized ring shank 2.5" nails

36381546593_6c7b60593f_h.jpg

Here is the inside of the room. If you look closely, you will see that after my last post showing the joists, I added two rows of cross bracing connecting the joists at 4' spacing.

37053425371_17e68bf73d_h.jpg

My mother-in-law was visiting and put up both doors for me while I was at work. So glad she did, I did not have time to complete that befor the storm.
37195473485_1a3fd48a5d_h.jpg

No damage or property loss. We have no power. According to the news 1/2 - 3/4 of Floridians don't. No gas around. Power lines down all over. The main lines on my road are down in three different spots in the mile and a half stretch to the county line.
I was tired the night of the storm, and it hadn't been as bad as forecasted up to hat point, so I went to sleep in the bed. Three hours later wind was howling pretty good. Pinecones bouncing off the roof of the trailer sounded a lot bigger at 1 a.m. than they actually were. With the howling of the wind, and the growing threat of tornadoes, I spent the rest of the night sleeping in my unfinished man cave room.

Wasn't worried about the man cave!
lol.gif
Glad your trailer had no damage and no property loss. Central Fl; N-S or E-W?

Have friends in Homosassa who went to stay with their son in Orlando. Turned out the son lost a fence, some trees and damage to his truck. They are back home now, no damage and have power. Homosassa is near the west coast and pretty low on the average.

Hope you get power back soon.

Regards,
hm

I'm 45 min to an hour North of Homosassa, between Williston, Archer and Bronson. The cave is solid, much less likely to get a tree falling on you in your sleep in there than a trailer.
thumbup.gif

Pretty country there and far enough from the gulf/ocean that you don't have to worry about tidal surge.

Don't think you have to worry much about a tree in the man cave. You could park a truck in/on that loft; don't blame you for moving out of the trailer during the night, though.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762That is coming along nicely. Grateful you and your family are safe.

+1 to that!

glad you're all safe

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Infidel 762That is coming along nicely. Grateful you and your family are safe.

+1 to that!

glad you're all safe

+2
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: ADKOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Infidel 762That is coming along nicely. Grateful you and your family are safe.

+1 to that!

glad you're all safe

+2
thumbup1.gif

Thanks guys, much appreciated! I, so glad that it wasn't as bad as forecasted for me. I feel like I'm located in a pretty good spot though, protected by the trees and a small hill, I'm ina little dip. Lots of big tree down around me, but none on my place.
We had prayers going up too before and during a storm. Always a good thing!
thumbup.gif

The wife made an extended trip out of the hurricane evacuation. With the boss gone, I've been slacking, no more work accomplished in weeks. Been having fun instead.

36753823694_4c7f0eab40_b.jpg

36753778104_be9aa4c5ba_b.jpg

Nice mess of specs and reds, Roy. Sold my boat 6 or 7 years ago and sure miss those fresh trout!

ETA: Artificial or bait? Love to get in a school of reds and watch them hit top water, but mostly used gold spoons.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Back