Kindler Gold 30s

ViperACR

Does anyone know if someone else is making the Kindler Gold 30 gn Bullets ? I am new to the 17 cal and only have a few hundred left. They shoot great and kill coyotes great.

If you find someone I'd like to know also. Been using 25 gr Kindler gold in my 17Rem. I have picked up some Reeds 26 gr RBBT, but haven't had time to work up a load.

Last edited:
I just thought that someone might have bought his dies and bullet making equipment and I didn't know about it. Guess I should have ordered more than a thousand.

Originally Posted By: ViperACRI just thought that someone might have bought his dies and bullet making equipment and I didn't know about it. Guess I should have ordered more than a thousand.

IIRC someone did and they turned out crap bullets. I seem to recall the guy was in Texas.

Greg

Don't know if a stash of J4's came with the dies, but if not, the guy can't make 30 Golds just because he has the dies. Need the jackets too. But you can't get those anymore. Haven't talked to Todd in several years, but when I heard he sold his dies I suspected it was likely because he was out of J4's. Meaning, he couldn't make the same bullets anymore anyway.

- DAA

.17's? All the custom .17 bullet makers say that they can't get them. For at least a couple years now. Maybe the minimum order is just way too big for them.

- DAA

Seems to be lots of interest in these bullets. I've never had the pleasure of shooting any but based on all reports I'm missing out. If we can get a group buy together to entice a reputable bullet maker to make a batch, I would be in for a large quantity.

I'm pretty sure the 30's require a different length jacket then the ones that Berger is listing. The one they list I believe will only do 25 grain bullets. It's a Shame what Berger single handedly did to the large capacity .17 caliber market. The 30's take the bigger 17 caliber cartridges to a whole different level!

I have had several conversations with different individuals making .17 bullets, all have mentioned j4 jacket supply problems and finding suitable alternative material. Whether the market has the ability to correct this situation??

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI have had several conversations with different individuals making .17 bullets, all have mentioned j4 jacket supply problems and finding suitable alternative material. Whether the market has the ability to correct this situation??

Looks like a clear case of demand vs. profit potential on this one. If you can sell 100 223's over 10 17's what do you make assuming the same profit margin

Greg

If Todd's equipment is used with the same materials, the bullets will be the same. But at what market price? I can only hope there will be an opportunity to try WCD g2 bullets.

Not to derail this conversation, but Reed's makes .17 cal bullets in various weights. I have not tried any of them, so I can't offer first-hand experience as to whether they are a decent replacement for the Kindler Gold 30s.

Another member on this forum (Acronin) said he was working up loads for the 32g HP RBBT 7S last I spoke with him. You may give them a look and see if they have something that will work while you continue to look for the KG 30s. Not sure if they use the J4 jackets.

Reed's .17 cal bullets

Originally Posted By: GLShooterIf you can sell 100 223's over 10 17's what do you make assuming the same profit margin

Greg

It's even worse than that. If you can sell 100 each 25 gr. .17's over 10 each 30 gr. .17's... .17's themselves are a niche. But 30's are a niche within a niche.

How many factory barrels are 9 twists that can even shoot the 30's? Some of the newer ones are but all of the older ones are 10 twist. I know a couple guys do use 30's in the Mach IV, but really, they aren't that suitable for anything smaller than a .17 Rem. and whatever it is needs a 9 twist barrel.

The only real demand is guys like the few of us on this thread, shooting coyotes with larger capacity .17's. Most of us with custom barrels chambered for wildcats. Just not very many of us, in the grand scheme. And almost nobody else has any use for a 30 gr. .17.

It's pretty telling that when the guys on Saubier put together a group buy to get a special run of the old match .17's made, they had 25's made, not 30's.

I have enough 30 Golds on the shelf to finish wearing out my .17 Predator barrel. Which, really, I might get that done before I die or get too old to hunt coyotes or I might not. But I also have a lot of other old 29's and 30's on the shelf, Berger Match, Genco, Starke (got a ton of them, Clint hooked me up before he sold his dies to Chan Nagel), etc.

And, not for nothing, but Chan Nagel makes his own very concentric jackets and a pretty dang fine 30 gr. bullet. Small quantities, not always available, but with a little planning and patience you can get a lifetime supply from him pretty easy. That's actually what I'm shooting now, saving my Golds for who knows what. For my kids to throw them away a few years after I croak probably, lol!

- DAA

I still have 800 or so left. Pretty amazing bullet around 4000fps. Dropped a nice coyote at 345 yds a couple days ago. No recoil and can watch most all impacts.

That bullet in 17-204 really impresses me. I’ve made some poor angle shots and also some poor shots and have recovered them all which isn’t easy with all the bush where I hunt.

Yeah I'd love to have several thousand of the Kindler Golds or the Berger 30gr boat tails sitting on my reloading shelf.

Back