Vortex vs leopold vs ???

Halbach

Is Leo still the king? Most my buddies and I have vortex topping our rifles now but I'm looking at a vortex or a Leopold and was wondering who here likes what? This can be totally unfact based just preference opinions but I wanna hear what's popular.

I have scopes by Leupold, Burris, Sightron, Alpen, Mueller, Nikon, Weaver, Hensoldt and Nickel. I have no real favorites, I have scopes that fit the need.

Will a Leupold or Vortex do the job for you or does your situation require a NF, Schmit & Bender, Hensoldt or other high end scope.

Dollar to dollar, the Leupold still beats the Vortex rifle scopes in fit, finish and optical quality. I don't feel Vortex makes a scope worth owning until the Viper PST line.

for what i'm doing a Leopold or vortex usually fits the bill nicely.

based on my personal experiences either company's optics in the $200-$500 price point should be able to get you a lot of bang for your buck - reasonable quality glass with good coatings, respectable return to zero consistency and a mostly proficient QC department.

for the days the qc department does let one get past, or just in general if murphy pays a visit -the warranty's for either sticker are basically bulletproof. no paperwork to fill out, no cards to get lost in the mail, no receipts to lose. Their name on the product is all the warranty you need.

i do own more vortex than leupys, but only because i feel that the diamondback is a great utility optic for the $.

What's it for? Night hunting? If so, you can't really beat a Zeiss, from low end to high end they've got the low light thing covered when comparing comparable prices and objective sizes.

Originally Posted By: WTJonesI ordered a new leupold last evening. Old habits die hard. Past success with their products dies harder.
Agree totally with this.. I have Vortex,Nikon, Burris, NF,Leupold. I like the Leupolds but this is not to say that they are any better than the others. It depends on what your use is.

pahntr760,
I don't even think the Viper PST is worth owning, just my opinion. I'm with 527, Zeiss is hard to beat. I've got 4 HD 5's with the Rapid-Z varmint reticle and they are one awesome scope. If I have to step down because of $$$, it's Sightron. I think Sightron's are the most awesome least talked about scope there is. I've got 4 SIII's and 3 S-TAC's. I'm 65yo and I've had a lot of scope brands in my life.

Jim D
SE Texas

I'm a weirdo but my favorite optics have been Trijicon Accupoints.
Lightweight, illuminated (daytime), not terribly expensive, and very durable.
I'm an idiot and dropped my rifle, landing on the Trijicon first. It actually bent a LaRue SPR mount, the Accupoint was fine other than a scratch.

I don't use the triangle/post reticle, I hate that. Either German #4, MilDot, or their newer MOA reticle for me.

I’ve got both but I feel like the Leopold is a better made scope but I like the vortex all the same . Each does what it needs to but the glass on the Leopold is better imo of course

Leupold and Vortex both are amazing optics, and both offer killer warranty as well. It is really a difficult question to answer. Leupold still beats the Vortex in some cases. In my opinion, if you don't have budget constraints, go for Leupold. Otherwise buy Vortex.

I've used both and believe it comes down to personal preference. Not sure about the cheapest lines they offer, lowest I went was the vx3 line and the PST. Right now I have mostly Vortex Razor scopes on my rifles.

Reticles are one area I feel Vortex has Leupold beat, but that's just preference.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with either if they offer what you're looking for

I own many different scopes from both companies and they both put out quality scopes. I prefer Leupold for glass quality, weight, low light performance and eye relief. Vortex struggles in two areas and that is weight and light scatter when looking in the same direction as the setting sun. Other than that they are very good scopes.

Leupold may not offer a whole lot of reticles on their over the counter models but the custom shop can install a myriad of different reticles. I don't think there is another company that offers as many reticles for retro fit.

And now I'm reading about sightron s-tac scopes. 4-20x50 for $409. Sounds like a pretty darn good deal if the scope is as good as some say!

It's that good and the moa reticle is awesome. As clear as 98% of any other scope and the tracking is the best. Also with a forever warranty but I don't think you'll need it. A lot of guys over at Saubier shoot them.

Jim D

I had a Viper PST, thing was a POS!
Leupold is a good scope at a good price, the Vortex should be a lot cheaper for the quality I have seen. I have a few Zeiss as well, better than the Vortex, not as good as the Leupold, but cheaper than both.

Zeiss makes some cheap scopes but the one's I have are the German made HD'S and they are not cheap scopes but they are awesome. My buddy has two Nightforce NXS's and I wouldn't trade my Zeiss Hd's for either of them.

Getting back to Vortex, I've had 3 of them ranging from $799 to $1099. All were POS, really bad POS. The very 1st one sighting in at the range, 2 shots and the entire guts came out. The next two not as bad but would not track well enough to sight in. After sending back to Vortex and receiving new ones, I sold them for a huge loss. They say their warranty is great. Yes it is. They don't mind replacing a $900 scope with another $50 scope. JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!!!

I would much rather have a cheap Tasco or Simmons!!!

Leupold has always been good and stood
behind their product but ever since they started using Chinese glass in their mid range scopes ($399 to $999), they are not what they used be, clarity wise. If you don't believe this, look at Leupold's facts page #6. Lot's of scope makers use Chinese glass and there are different grades of glass regardless of where it's assembled. But the best are made in Germany-Japan-Switzerland. My understanding is the high end Leupold's use Japanese glass just like Nightforce, Sightron, and a few others. Still one Leupold VX-3 = 5 Vortex.

My thoughts and ideas about Sightron scopes comes from very hard use. Before I became leg disabled I hunted in southwest Texas in very rough rocky country. My gun and scope rode anywhere from 4-8 hours a day in a jeep, bumping around and getting filthy dirty with dust for 2-3 weeks at a time. 80 degrees during the day and 20 at night, it stayed in the jeep. And yet have I ever had to return one for repairs. I'm sure Leupold would have held up as well but it just doesn't have the clarity of a Sightron. Well that's just my opinion about scopes.

Jim D

Last edited:
Since Zeiss gave me a warranty upgrade scope I have been very happy. This scope has outperformed every scope I have ever owned.
Leupold has always been high on my ownership list and satisfaction with warranty work has been good. I noticed the glass change more than a decade ago.
Weaver has had some good scopes, just never know where it's made , what's covered or if the company will sell again.
Never had a vortex.
Had a Redfield and liked it decades ago, not the same today. Had a new one and it lasted one shot.
The Nightforce wth a new ruger is an interesting twist.
So for now it's happy days with Zeiss.

I have owned several vortex scopes and I'm down to one viper. I just don't think the quality is there until you get up into the razor line. Every one I have owned had tracking issues

Back