NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Haven't tried T in my M2 but in my 870 I patterned it with four chokes from Mod to Dead Coyote. Dead Coyote choke was the most constricon and best pattern. Turkey Extra Full second best.

But yours doesn't really look like it's necessarily getting better with more constricton. My 870 did get progressively better with more choke.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAHaven't tried T in my M2 but in my 870 I patterned it with four chokes from Mod to Dead Coyote. Dead Coyote choke was the most constricon and best pattern. Turkey Extra Full second best.

But yours doesn't really look like it's necessarily getting better with more constricton. My 870 did get progressively better with more choke.

- DAA

So what did your pattern look like?

The pattern master has the tightest constricton of my chokes and it was not any better and i had pcs of the wad stuck to the ribs in the choke !! It shot #2 heavy shot really well though...

Do you think slowing things down a bit would help? This is a 1 1/2oz load @ about 1320fps.

Originally Posted By: reddog964
So what did your pattern look like?

Not that great.

20161030_Rem%20870_Pattern%20Testing-12W.jpg

Don't know if slowing them down would help or not? Just about every other load I tried patterned better so I just moved on.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: GCLooks pretty thin for 3" T's @ 40 yards...

That's my thoughts also !! I also tried a Pattern Master tube a couple week ago and it was not any better
frown.gif

Would slowing the speed down a touch help any?

Any suggestions ?

What type of wad are you using with these T shot loads?

Are you using the lead T shot from BPI?

Here's the second go at patterning Remington V3 FS from a few weekends ago. Conditions were good for an early fall day: high 50's with a slight headwind like the first time out.

The numbers show hits within 10" circle, hits on 30" square, and number of pellets in the load. Also noted are the choke used, exit diameter, and bore restriction. I'd like to have my shotgun bore officially measured, but for now I'm going off of Remington's specs of .727 bore diameter.

This time out I decided to run through all the factory chokes included with the V3 - IC, Mod, and Full - as well as a used Remington Turkey Super Full Extended I picked up off eBay.

IC = .720 (.007)
Mod = .709 (.018)
Full = .691 (.036)
SF = .665 (.062)

Factory loads tested:

Rem #4 buck
Fed #4 CP buck (P1584B)

First shot was fired from a clean bore and all chokes were cleaned prior to patterning.

At this point, it seems the Fed #4 buck shot tighter patterns more consistently out of the Full and Super Full, but I had more hits on paper with the Rem #4 with Full. The patterns were simply more erratic with the Rem #4 across the board.

I've read just about this entire thread and I've seen recommendations of a bore restriction sweet spot of somewhere generally within the .050 and .065 range. The Super Full almost reaches the upper end of that range and the Full is well below, so I'm thinking I need to try a choke somewhere between .050 and .062 of my SF. Or should I just stop and use what I have?

Any comments/feedback are appreciated. Thanks.

IC

Mod

Full - only patterned with Fed #4 buck since I patterned Rem #4 buck last time

Super Full

Matlock,
I have 40 boxes of the Federal Copperplated #4 buck. Looks like it will be a good load for yotes.Your test gives me a pretty good starting area for my pattern tests. I have 3 chocked that are waiting to be tested.
Thanks for your info and report.
JM

Sounds like you are good and stocked up, JM. I have yet to get any real world results with either the Rem #4 or the Fed #4, but hopefully soon. For now, I'm planning to use the Super Full choke until I have the money and time to invest in another choke. I've been looking at Trulock and Carlson chokes, but not set on pulling the trigger on anything yet.

What are you shooting? Keep us posted on how your patterning comes along.

No red dot, just factory bead sights.

I'm considering trying a couple more chokes, once I have the time and funds. The Trulock Predator has a bit less restriction (.057) than my current Super Full (.062). If that doesn't yield positive results, I'll consider trying one with more restriction, such as the Carlson Coyote (.065). But for now, I'm satisfied with my patterning out of the Super Full.

Thought I'd add in:
15 degrees
Rem 870 youth 20 gauge
Winchester 2 3/4 #3 buck
Rem super full 572
20 count
5 pellets in 6 inch circle, 100 % in 20 inch circle at 40 yards

Remington 870 SuperMag
Sumtoy 680
Hevi Dead Coyote T, 3.5 inch
13 pellets in 6 inch circle, 80 % in 20 inch circle at 40 yards

Federal #4 buck, 3 inch
6 pellets in 6 inch circle, 100% in 20 inch circle at 40 yards

Just now (new member)got to read your research on chokes - nice job. I'm at that stage where I need to buy one and all the hype out there and some costing $80 or $90 is ridiculous.

Thanks again.

Wormy dog - I did not have good results even at 40 yards with the Hornady ammo and wads through a ported .665 Carlsons Coyote choke.

DAA - I have some TSS #4's in hand from Hal. Can you tell me what penetration they have in gel at 10 and 50 yards at the 1250 fps?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think 3.70" of gel penetration is very close to the penetration needed to reliably knock down and kill coyotes according to the KPY Shotshell Ballistic program.

TSS #4 shot at 1250 fps gets 6.50" of gel penetration at 10.3 yards.
TSS #4 shot at 1250 fps gets 4.53" of gel penetration at 50.4 yards.
TSS #4 shot at 1250 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 76 yards.
Lead BB shot at 1250 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 43.7 yards.

Thank you - and what a great sport you are. I meant 40 and 50 yards, then typed 10 and 50. But no worries, I got what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI think 3.70" of gel penetration is very close to the penetration needed to reliably knock down and kill coyotes according to the KPY Shotshell Ballistic program.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI think 3.70" of gel penetration is very close to the penetration needed to reliably knock down and kill coyotes according to the KPY Shotshell Ballistic program.

I wonder what steel BBB would get at 1650fps?
Ya I know steel, but remember 1650 fps, the testing I have done shows steel bbb at that speed will penetrate further than lead bb at 1300fps. I have shot both into wood, old steel tanks and anything else I got laying around and the steel bbb will blow the lead bb away everytime. A while ago I asked you to try it for the heck of it, would still like to see the results into gelatin.

Back