increasing FPS with a can?

Coyotejunki

I have and AR15 with a 18" barrel, that I screw directly on a 6" 6.5 mm suppressor. Do people usually gain velocity with the can on over the opposite. I am shooting 23gr IMR 8208 XBR powder behind a Sierra 69 TMK getting about 2700fps without the can, but my magneto speed doesn't fit on the barrel with the can. Accuracy is very good.

No, not enough to even talk about. Couple FPS at best. In your case probably none with a 22 caliber projectile and 6.5 can.

Oh by the way this Mo weather has me chomping at the bit to get to the woods..
smile.gif

I've chronograph several loads and calibers with and without a can and as noted almost the same but I have noticed usually a 5 to 15 feet per second faster with the can on. Which once again is not much to change in any elevation adjustment for hunting purposes.

We shoot many cans and the above figure is the same as we typically see. 5-20 fps with the higher side leaning to the larger calibers.

I get an increase of approximately 40 fps with the can on my .300 Win Mag, not a huge number but it is designed for 1000 yard shooting so I need to correct for it. I haven't tested it on my other rifles to get an exact increase.

Also I used a Magneeto speed V3 on mine and it works if you increase the sensitivity, do you have the sporter version?

Back