Leaving dead coyotes

Doesn't matter at all, but I never leave them hanging on barbwire fences etc. Some people don't want to see them. At least out here in the dez, ravens will do a number on the dead ones. I've left em laying, came back the next day and all that's left is fur all over the sage and a million raven tracks. While I know coyotes eat them as well, I haven't seen that too often. One afternoon we skinned a bobcat and two coyotes. I drug the carcasses over to a ditch and dropped them into it. The next day we came back through and I stopped to see if anything got them. Both coyotes were moved but pretty much intact but the bobcat was long gone. There were fresh coyote tracks all over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheBig1That's like every time a bird craps on your truck, you sit on your porch eating scrambled eggs just to show them what you're capable of.
tt1.gif

Be sure to eat those eggs under a porch roof or the birds may have the last word.

That's an interesting topic DAA about natural position of deer carcasses vs unnatural. Did he mention what specific natural positions? I bait coyotes, sometimes with deer carcasses when I can get them and have had mixed results, sometimes good activity and sometimes not. I would assume a whole deer carcass like a road kill, full body lying on its side would be considered more natural whereas a processed deer with whatever part of the carcass is left would be considered unnatural even though meat and bones are exposed.

One thing I have noticed; however, is that coyotes will pull at wired-down deer bones that don't have a speck of meat left on them.

My observation over a period of a few years has shown some carcasses basically untouched by coyotes and yet others get more activity. I think I need to pay more attention to specific detail and see exactly which carcass and position gets more activity. Thanks for that bit of information, and please discuss further if you have more info, including specific terrain types or features that seem to produce better coyote activity.

It's been long enough and my memory is bad enough, I really can't remember too much about the specifics. I believe he did give some, about the positions, like laying on it's side natural, Jesus Christ pose not natural, but I don't really remember. I'll ask him about it again next time I talk to him, if I can remember lol!

- DAA

I actually shoot a coyote off of my pile of skinned yotes behind my house every once in awhile! sometimes i tie them down so they don't drag 'em off...

Between the Cara cara, hawks and buzzards, dead coyotes don't last long enough down here to use as bait.
frown.gif

35701147675_362b0d5778_c.jpg

34875568443_c9550303d3_c.jpg

35319339690_c3f9d9e143_c.jpg

Even the bigger stuff doesn't last long:

35146687784_330cd80c1e_z.jpg

Regards,
hm

Back