Binos

Smokin250

If you had $400 to spend on a decent set of binos what would you get?

Leaning to something in the 10x42 range. I have messed around with the vortex, and been pleased. What options would you guys go with?

thanks
brian

A good "quality" pair of binoculars start about a grand and go up from there, BUT they will last a life time and serve you well. Most individuals really don't need that type of quality for their activities. Some of the "Alpha" brands are now having their lower end binos made in China - that's not a bad thing relative to quality if the Chinese source is mandated to keep the bino companies specifications and the companies QC sees to it they are kept to their standards.

Vortex has moved all their optics to China - or so I've been told. The Zeiss Terra is currently being made in China but is a mighty fine "starter" bino and one to consider if you're not in the market for a "high-end" bino. Here's a site with decent prices for the Terra - I would strongly recommend the 8X42 ED and your cost to your door right now would be approximately $340.00. If you feel you really "want" a 10X bino - then the Zeiss Terra 10X42 ED MC would be the one and the cost would be $382.50.

The "quality" starting bino pair would be something like the Zeiss Conquest HD's (not made in China, if that is a concern) with the 10X42's currently being sold for $850 - that's 15% off normal prices - talking to Ben at Sports Optics will get you another 1% off and if paying by check or money order - 2% off in addition to the current 15% being offered. Good Luck on your "bino quest".

http://www.sportoptics.com/terra-ed-binoculars.aspx

Last edited:
I have -
Brunton
Swarovski
Leica - 1,400 yard rangefinding

The Leica are now my go to Bino's because I use a dial up scope, I also have a Radius Rangefinder on one of my day guns and 1 of my night guns.

Btw, guy is diehard Leopold fanatic. Are they not in this game?

More I read, less I hear about people recommending the gold ring?

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Btw, guy is diehard Leopold fanatic. Are they not in this game?

Rifle scopes, sure. Their binos, though, fall a bit short of others in the same price range.

Cabela's/Vortex Intrepid Bino 10X42 are $499 right now. Awesome glasses for that.

Vortex Viper 10X42 are $419 on sale at Cabela's

Nikon Monarch 7 isn't bad, at $399. But I feel the above has a bit more in low light.

The Leupold Mojave are $359, pretty decent for that price.

Burris Signiture are at $399...dern good glasses.

I went through this 2 years ago. For me it came down to the Vortex Viper or the Nikon Monarch 7 in 10x42. Both are very similar. Some reviews say the Monarch 7 has a slightly wider depth of focus, not sure if that's the correct term, meaning you don't need to micro adjust the focus ring constantly while scanning compared to other typical binos. I chose the Vipers and feel confident with the great warranty.

2 years later I'm satisfied, but wonder if I'd be better off with 8x42 instead.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Smokin250Btw, guy is diehard Leopold fanatic. Are they not in this game?

Rifle scopes, sure. Their binos, though, fall a bit short of others in the same price range.

Cabela's/Vortex Intrepid Bino 10X42 are $499 right now. Awesome glasses for that.

Nikon Monarch 7 isn't bad, at $399. But I feel the above has a bit more in low light.

I am not seeing the vipers on sale for $419 at cabelas?

A few years back I got some Lupy gold ring HD binos. They must have dropped that model, not seen them since.

Not Vortex fan , But their binos I looked at was pretty nice.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeA few years back I got some Lupy gold ring HD binos. They must have dropped that model, not seen them since.

Not Vortex fan , But their binos I looked at was pretty nice.

I sell a lot of optics in the low-range.

Leupold owns that aspect in riflescopes. Vortex is popular, but the optical quality isn't really close.

It is the exact opposite in the Binos and Spotter for that matter. Vortex has that game figured out.

It really is strange how it all works out.

I'd bet I sell 15-20 Vortex Diamondback binos to any other one brand. They're a really tough value to beat.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Smokin250Btw, guy is diehard Leopold fanatic. Are they not in this game?

I am not seeing the vipers on sale for $419 at cabelas?

Sorry, that is not their price. I am not sure where I saw that one at. I think I was looking at my employee or military price on these. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Bushnell Legend L series. I snagged one while my Kahles was over in Austria for a bit of TLC. I'm pretty pleased with the Bushnell for $300.

Back