6 mm Bullet comparison

Sledge

Anyone with experience shooting coyotes with both 55 grain NBT's and 58 grain Vmax bullets?
What was the results?

I tried the 55gr Btip, at 3,950-4,000fps, in my 243w and had floppers and runners, even had one get away from me, leaking out both sides. I am not impressed at all on coyotes.

I've not used the 58gr Vmax, but have used the 75gr Vmax, and that is an impressive bullet. I went 33-34 coyotes straight without an exit, ranges from 20 to just over 400yds.

I get the opposite results in my son's 223wssm between the Vmax and Btips. The 60gr Vmax at 3,700fps results in frequent splash wounds, but hammers them down, whereas the 60gr Btip at 3,700fps gave us runners and floppers.

The 55gr Btip in my 222remmag at 3,450fps is great, with very few exits.

Shooting them out of my 6x45 and 6mm-204 the 58gr is more fur friendly, usually not exiting. The 55 gr NBT gets exits almost everytime. The 55gr NBT Lead Frees have worked just about like the 58gr V-max.

Out of a 6mm BR:

I am planning on loading the 58 V-max at 3680 with AA2230 and the 65 V-max at 3350 with VV N135 to start.

I also have a bunch of Lapua 90 gr HP factory loaded ammo to try.

I have been told the 70gr Blitz-King loads using Varget worked well as do the Sierra Game-King SBT's.

As I have said before, I am not worried about fur..... just dead.

Just some thoughts.......

Last edited:
Neither one has ever been very fur friendly in my partners .243. I mean, an occasional kill without an exit, but big holes are much more common. Both have always killed reliably.

In my 6-284, the 55 NBT has been a more reliable killer. Very accurate in that rifle. Kills with authority. Rarely kills without making a big mess, not for skinning days.

- DAA

I shoot Nosler bullets almost exclusively. The 55s are what I run in my 22-250s. I have killed a few with the 58 grain Vmax out of my 243.......large holes and some runners (most were shot under 200 yards). The 70 grain NBTs are what I shoot in my 243. Extremely accurate and cery fur friendly so far at 3340 fps.

I have been using the 55 NBT and a few 58 Vmax. I cannot tell the difference between the two. Both exit with no visible damage other than a blood spot at 6x68 velocities which is a couple hundred less than .243. So far i have not used a bullet that did not exit. All my hits were bang flops no runners at a ranges from 125 to 300 yards. I might try blitzKing someday to see if they exit but I have a quantity of 55 and 70 NBT. I just finished loading up a few 70's to try and see if they exit. I have used TNT and Sierra MK with softball sized exit. So I have both ends of the spectrum of bullet performance but not the no exit performance.

I'm wondering if there is a velocity that the 55 NBT will not exit and what that is.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys. I've been shooting the 65 grain Vmax out of all of mine. 99% of the time they don't exit. I've shot some 58's from my night gun, looking for a little more speed and they all excited with huge holes. Was just curious about the Noslers. I'll probably just stick with the 65's.

Thanks again,
Steve.

I shoot the 55 nbt at 4300fps and the do not exit at all.I dont save fur so the pelt doesnt matter usually under 300 yds there is just a pile of fur with a little meat and a few, very small bone pieces left not a good pelt to save.the load is 53.5 gr H380 in ww brass cci lr primers.

I get a lot of exits with the 55 NBT at close to 4300. Not always, but a lot. Always have a coyote with almost all of its meat and bones left too
laugh.gif
. Not very fur friendly though.

- DAA

I know you are asking about the 58gr Vmaxs, but I'm going to tell you that the best bullet I've used is the 55gr Seirrra Blitz king. I've tried them all, this is the best bullet to drop them dead without exiting. 58 Vmaxs aren't bad, but on quartering shots they would splash. These Blitz Kings don't. I've shot coyotes from 40 yds to 370 and the same result on all of them. The Noslers not so much. I'm not a huge fan. They did the trick but a lot of spinners and on one I had a follow up shot to finish it. The 87gr Vmaxs were devastating and destroyed the coyote. 70gr NBTs left large exit wounds. 85gr TSXs exited but with a quarter sized exit wound. The 60gr Sierra HO Varminters are good too, but have only shot a couple coyotes with them. Once I found the 55 SBKs I've never looked back.

Originally Posted By: AcroninI know you are asking about the 58gr Vmaxs, but I'm going to tell you that the best bullet I've used is the 55gr Seirrra Blitz king. I've tried them all, this is the best bullet to drop them dead without exiting. 58 Vmaxs aren't bad, but on quartering shots they would splash. These Blitz Kings don't. I've shot coyotes from 40 yds to 370 and the same result on all of them. The Noslers not so much. I'm not a huge fan. They did the trick but a lot of spinners and on one I had a follow up shot to finish it. The 87gr Vmaxs were devastating and destroyed the coyote. 70gr NBTs left large exit wounds. 85gr TSXs exited but with a quarter sized exit wound. The 60gr Sierra HO Varminters are good too, but have only shot a couple coyotes with them. Once I found the 55 SBKs I've never looked back.

I'm assuming you're shooting a .243? I can't get anywhere near the same velocity out of my 6 WOA's but I ordered some Blitzkings to try anyway. The 65's I run about 3350 and they work well at that speed. Just being greedy I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanYou did not mention the 60g Sierra HP, they work every time!
Yep, I definitely agree. These old school bullets were all I shot out of my .243 for several years back in the 80's. I think the BC is pretty poor which limits the range, but out to 300 yards they're devastating. And in my world, 300 yards is still a long shot!!

I'm assuming you're shooting a .243? I can't get anywhere near the same velocity out of my 6 WOA's but I ordered some Blitzkings to try anyway. The 65's I run about 3350 and they work well at that speed. Just being greedy I guess.[/quote]

Yes I am shooting a .243 with the 55gr SBKs. I'm guessing you'll be able to get 3500-3550 from the 55's with the right load. I've shot coyotes outto 400 yds with these and they worked great. The velocity at 400 yds is probably somewhere around 3200fps so their performance would be very similar.

I think you'll like them. If not, I'll buy them from you!

Originally Posted By: DucksoupOriginally Posted By: ackleymanYou did not mention the 60g Sierra HP, they work every time!
Yep, I definitely agree. These old school bullets were all I shot out of my .243 for several years back in the 80's. I think the BC is pretty poor which limits the range, but out to 300 yards they're devastating. And in my world, 300 yards is still a long shot!!

+1

Your experience with the 65 VMax mirrors mine. No need to shoot anything else. If you decide not to save fur and want a longer reach switch to the 87 Vmax. In my 6mm Rem powered with 46.6 gr of RL-19 I only need to click in 8.7 moa to reach 500 meters from a 200 meter zero.

Back