300BLK for Coyotes?

cjclemens

So...Last year, I built myself a 16" carbine in 300BLK for kicks and giggles. In all honesty, it was a budget build. I didn't go all out on it. In fact, I used an el-cheapo AR Stoner barrel on it. Despite all that, it shoots exceptionally well at 100 yards with 125 grain Speer TNT's. I never really intended for it to be a hunting rifle, but it shoots so well that I'm pretty tempted to take it out this season, to see if I can take out a couple coyotes with it. Has any one else here used a 300BLK on coyotes? If so, I'd love to hear any stories or see any pics y'all might have.

I put together a 8.5" to tinker with after messing around with a 16".
It left a lot to be desired for where i hunt. Fun shooting subs but those don't kill well at all. Ended up just sticking to a 12.5" 6.8 as i can get 2790FPS with the 85gr Barnes and 2775fps with the 90gr Speer TNT Varmint and they both shot really good, even took a yote at 420 yards with it and the 90gr Speer with awesome carnage.

Ive tried the 300 a few times and just cant jump on that train.

with good bullet selection, the blackout is a good medium game hunting caliber. I use mine for whitetails here in michigan.

the 125 SST is a great whitetail bullet, the same goes for 110gr vmax or 110 varmageddons. however the 110 barnes blacktip is the king of all things 300blk hunting - it expands down to 1400 fps giving it an effective range of > 300 yds. the vmax, sst and varmageddon's are going to be limited to about 150 yds max effective range.

you're not going to get the explosive effects of high velocity cartridges - even vmax or the varmageddons are going to act more like a typical controlled expansion bullet at blackout velocity's. however with decent shot placement, any of the 4 above bullets will be more than sufficent to make critters deer sized and under attain room temperature.

Just make sure you know your drops and the range limits of the bullet you select and you're good to go.

if you're interested in subsonic hunting - bullet selection gets quite a bit trickier and knowing your drops more critical. Subsonic expanding projectiles are expensive due to the materials and processes needed to make them act the way we want them to on impact.

heres a great little info bit on bullet expansion and their effective ranges in the 300 blk in regards to hunting projectile selection

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=97188

Originally Posted By: cjclemensSo...Last year, I built myself a 16" carbine in 300BLK for kicks and giggles. In all honesty, it was a budget build. I didn't go all out on it. In fact, I used an el-cheapo AR Stoner barrel on it. Despite all that, it shoots exceptionally well at 100 yards with 125 grain Speer TNT's. I never really intended for it to be a hunting rifle, but it shoots so well that I'm pretty tempted to take it out this season, to see if I can take out a couple coyotes with it. Has any one else here used a 300BLK on coyotes? If so, I'd love to hear any stories or see any pics y'all might have.
-
You might as well do-it and get it out of your system now, then move on .
I hunted 30-223 for more than 20 years both AR and Bolt on Coyotes. It a great 'short range' like you want to do with the 125 tnt's and the 110 vmax's . The most your going to squeeze is just a tad 2400+ Vel fps. The platform does fill a small nitch nicely .

I always had 2 subsonic Rounds in velcro-keeper to the side of stock for that 'right time' . and have taken a few coyotes subsonic in urban and around tight areas of corral areas, but for the most part past that (imho) Subsonic hunting on Coyote is pretty much a novelty .
For shooting Coyote. It shines better at Nighttime use, than using it in daytime on Coyote . There are far superior and efficient platforms for daytime Coyote with Necking-up using .223 parent case.

the Biggest thing I love on the the 30-221 Rem./300BO is hitting Coyotes in the short range with pushing a Big slower Vel. .30 cal. Diam.Bullets .
It is efficient on the powder burn . It Suppresses very nicely quiet with any .30 Cal Can. Both High Vel. and Subs.
I loved using it at Nighttime .

Back