reloading 243 with the new 103gr ELDs

Tbone-AZ

Has anyone tried to reload with the new ELD Hornady bullets for a 243?

I have a 20" 243 (1:10) that i was thinking of loading up using those new ELD bullets and didn't see any information or posts from anyone on it, and wondered if anyone has had any luck with groups and loads.

Originally Posted By: reddog964You van always try them but I don't think you will have much luck with them in a 10 twist. JME

I haven't tried them but I was thinking the same thing about the 1 in 10 twist.

My R-700 has that strange 1:9.125" twist that Remington does and the old 105 AMAX was right on the edge for it. I am like the others, I don't think a 10 twist is going to stabilize the 103 ELD-X. If I were building a rifle for that bullet it would be an 8 twist for sure.

I have a 24in Remington 243 with the 9.125 twist barrel. The heaviest I shoot is the 87gr vmax, as far as vld style bullets go.
Hunting or flat base 100gr are fine obviously.
Your pushing the envelope shooting the 87gr vmax with a 10 twist...

i am going to play with the 58 vmax bullets to see if i can get them to work for the kids rifle,

But was looking at the ELDs for when we switch gears for meat hunting for the 100gr loads.

For this year i went with a box of Hornady SST 95s.

I have a rifle that absolutely loves the 58 grain Vmax. If you are looking for a great bullet for deer size game......the 90 grain Nosler Accubond is pretty hard to beat. Not in stock very often but I believe Midway has them right now

I have a savage model 11 243 with 9 1/4 twist. It shoots 105 amax great. Running them at 2980 and went to 800 yds last week on a 1 moa target. Been looking for the 103 eld x but have not been able to find any locally. Nearly impossible to get the 105 amax anymore. Hope the 103 eld x runs as well as the amax.

Thank you for the input.

I just need the kids to get used to the rifle so loading up 58s with lower end loads that are still accurate, but takes a little of the kick out would be great for my 10,11 yr old daughters to get used to and gain comfort. They have only shot 22lr and the transition to a bigger rifle has been tedious at best. (I have an AR15 with a big hunk of foam taped to it right now to make them think that it doesn't kick as much, it's an Ar15, and yes there is almost no kick, their momma isn't helping with purposely scaring them about the kick of the rifle (x wife))

The next time I am in the store and see the ELDs i will get some extra and post them up for what it costs me for those that are interested in it. (won't be any time real soon, since i have a hunting safety and then two weeks later have my daughters first elk hunt) The kids here can get a junior elk tag for Cows, and the 243 seems to be the go to for kids. I plan on bringing my 300win for a second follow-up if it starts to run, to anchor it.

Back