WY PD hunt

springer

Just returned from our 2-day WY prairie dog hunt on and near Thunder Basin…16 hours of driving each way.

Last year we hunted 2 towns after tagging our antelope in October and shot hundreds. This year, the weather was cooler (50s) and windy on Day one and numbers seemed down. From a few piles of 17 WSM brass, it appeared someone had done some thinning. We spent a couple hours there but then moved on looking for better towns.

I'd read that Thunder Basin had been opened back up due to community pressure to do something about rapidly expanding populations (which we witnessed over the past 2 years). Well, apparently they went from not allowing any shooting to the opposite direction. We drove through areas that had been off limits honey holes just last year. My best guess is they were poisoned…not a dog in sight and holes were clearly long abandoned. We found a few shootable pockets but nothing short of disappointing. Later I found a map online which seemed to confirm it had been targeted for poisoning. Just last year this area was being preserved for ferret introduction.

Finally, we returned to a massive town we spent half a day in last year. As far as we could determine, not a single dog remained. Like the others, burrows were covered in cobwebs and the place appeared completely abandoned.

So for 2 days and 32 hours of driving we got a grand total of about 50 prairie dogs between three of us. I guess we'll try South Dakota next year. I'm just amazed that they went so far from one extreme to the other with regards to managing them.

Day 2 was a cold rainout.

Last edited:
That sounds like a pretty big disappointment. My Wyoming prairie dog shooting this year mirrored yours. It was terrible compared to the previous year. I was wondering if my spots had been poisoned as well. At least a day in the desert is better than a day at work! Did you at least get lucky on antelope?

I live just north of the Thunder Basin National Grasslands and was down there last week scouting some ground to run my hounds. I ran into several parties that were having dismal luck finding any prairie dogs. As was stated above, there are a few pockets, but most of the big towns are gone. Talking with some of the ranchers down there, the plague went through since last winter and took a huge toll on the populations. That is a good thing though, because they were getting out of hand in a few spots. There are still some towns that need thinned out, but it will take a little scouting and asking around. I ran into one gentleman who didn't have a map or a GPS. I would encourage folks to have both when they come up.

Tex

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieThat sounds like a pretty big disappointment. My Wyoming prairie dog shooting this year mirrored yours. It was terrible compared to the previous year. I was wondering if my spots had been poisoned as well. At least a day in the desert is better than a day at work! Did you at least get lucky on antelope?

No antelope tag this year - just went early for the dogs. Hence the BIG disappointment! With a tag, I've never had much difficultly scoring antelope.

Originally Posted By: Tex AdamsI live just north of the Thunder Basin National Grasslands and was down there last week scouting some ground to run my hounds. I ran into several parties that were having dismal luck finding any prairie dogs. As was stated above, there are a few pockets, but most of the big towns are gone. Talking with some of the ranchers down there, the plague went through since last winter and took a huge toll on the populations. That is a good thing though, because they were getting out of hand in a few spots. There are still some towns that need thinned out, but it will take a little scouting and asking around. I ran into one gentleman who didn't have a map or a GPS. I would encourage folks to have both when they come up.

Tex

Thanks, it does help to know we weren't just incompetent!

Back