How do you control your breathing when hunting?

you 16? why are you not in school this time of day?

home schooled?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotyou 16? why are you not in school this time of day?

home schooled?
smile.gif

I almost said the same thing
lol.gif

My 16 year old just forced me to take his cell phone because he was using it in class.
cursing.gif

I just took my daughter out to practice her marksmanship.

FMJs bullets are cheaper and good for target practice. I suggest an AR500 plate target in 1/2" and thicker. (it will last longer)

I like the 8" or 10" and hang it with black bungees, usually from a wooden saw horse. Then i back away and set up like i would hunting. I have a low profile chair, and rotating head shooting sticks.
Move around from place to place, and then shoot at it until you can't hit it anymore. Make note of how much you have to adjust for the different distances (known as holdover)

As for the brand of rifle, get what you want, and what works for you. On the scope, i like the BDC reticles so that when a coyote shows up at 300yrds you know which circle to use, and don't have to play with the scope to take the shot. The bullets you pick will also make a difference. A lot of people us Hollow points or Blastic tip ammo like Hornady Vmax bullets. These will be based on the twist of the rifle you buy. I personally like the 1:9 twist, but you may want a 7 twist if you can use 223 for deer there. (the twist will dictate the bullet grain your rife likes and shoots well)

Since you are in Kansas, those pelts are going to be worth it to pull off. So look for a local buyer and talk to them about how to and what they look for. most of them are going to be happy to tell you how and what they want to see, since it helps them make money too. It always depends on a bunch of things but it's not crazy to think that you could get $30 of more per pelt.

If there is something that are coming up that you want more information because it's not something you are sure you clearly understand, don't hesitate to ask. There is a lot and it's going to feel like drinking from a fire hose.

Controlling the breathing is easy. Slowing down the heart beat and concentrating is the key.
I practice a lot shooting from a Tripod Trigger stick and also shooting from a tall bi-pod sitting in my short hunting chair.
The best thing to do is just practice. You don't have to fire to practice either. Just slow your breathing, concentrate and don't get caught up on the animal, Think about the shot.

I remember growing up and getting excited when i seen a deer cause where we hunted it was tough enough to just see a doe cruise thru. Now it is just second nature to get on target, go from safe to fire, squeeze trigger, watch critter fall.
Doing a lot of night hunting for hogs and deer depredations for farmers just using thermal its just looking at a screen so nothing to get excited about really.

Practice, practice, practice...

Shoot we use to hack the school computers to get around the firewalls and watch youtube videos in high school. We didn't have cool smart phones back then. Even Text messaging wasn't a thing, but AOL Instant Messenger was haha..

Coyote fever goes away with most as they gain experience as in a few under the belt.
Some guys start every season with coyote fever.
A few never shake it.
When young with few lessons but trial experience I found at time to shoot, the more I tried to steady, steady, steady the shot, it only got worse. So I started panning the aim slowly left to right and squeezing the trigger at the right time. It worked.
Head shots sound great but aren't always. Sometimes it ruins the hide making it worthless to many buyers.
I started out with the same ideas and my first coyote broadside across the draw was the first crack at perfection.
First shot with my Win 88 .243 took out it's top teeth, then it's bottom teeth, and on to remove it's nose only to find it had mange.
Nowadays I primarily hunt with a .22-250 and rest it on the door of truck.
The blood still gets pumping when I'm faced with a handful or more of coyotes at the same time.
Earlier this year in a lucky spot the fog lifted and there were 9 coyotes standing in front of me! Which one first?
You will have a great time learning and it sounds like you have a great start here.

practicing shooting will help with shooting that's for sure BUT u cant practice getting an adrenaline dump/rush no matter what u do period........its pure mental & the only way I found to overcome that part is to decide it doesn't matter if u get to shoot.....calling is all the real work and the real hard part to be good at to begin with IMO.....keep that in mind and shooting as the cherry and it just might help the nerves...I had them just like anyone with a pulse will have them but this worked for me very well.......good luck!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

When I don't get excited I'm going to find a new hobby..
My method for controlling it is to keep my mind occupied on the task at hand.. develop a preshot routine.. for me it goes something like this... I see my quarry.. first identify my target, evaluate the circumstances (where and when will I shoot), determine distance and dope, focus on the target and lastly I'm thinking in my mind as I'm aiming....aim, aim, aim as I slowly squeeze the trigger....if the shot surprises me I have my critter...
I miss when I skip that last step... and it happens to all of us.. at least the honest ones...
Practice, practice, practice and enjoy yourself... hunting is a sport where you never stop learning.. no matter how old you get..

Originally Posted By: Caden McCourtI fully understand where you are coming from and i know that I am no expert marksman. I just love the feeling of putting down your prey with one skillful shot. I have a close friend of is the opposite he just aims shoots and shoots till his gun is empty which I disagree with strongly, because of the fact that the animal suffers a great amount before death if it is not shot in a vital area. West.Mass.Hunter. You have been of so much help to me and I am thankful for that!

just because you happen to hunt with a semi-automatic firearm, doesnt automatically preclude ignoring marksmanship fundamentals.

thats a fault of the hunter, not the way the firearm functions.

ive hunted with semi auto, pump action, bolt action, and single shot leverguns. i dont treat my shooting process any differently with any of them.

what i'm saying is, dont automatically discount a semi-auto because someone else uses one outside of what you feel is acceptable.

modern ar-15 type platforms have proven themselves to both be accurate and reliable. and if you need a quick followup, or if you happen to get into a multiple target situation ... you'll appreciate that the gun is ready for more action when you are
smile.gif

as mentioned, if that henry is your holy graile, by all means go for it. but at that same price point you can be into a reasonable grade ar-15 in 223/5.56 . the AR market is FLOODED right now.

i'm thinking like this

basic PSA blem lower $150 + ffl ($25, maybe even less) (link)
bear creek arms makes a left handed side charging upper for $370 (link)
get you a vortex diamondback for $200 (link)
nikon p223 rings for $37 (link)
two pmags for $15 each
= $787

and you're ready to hunt.

take the money you would have spent to scope the henry, and spend it on ammo to practice with!

again, just some food for thought
smile.gif

Try some calisthenic exercises THEN try to take some practice shots on paper. It can help you to learn to control your heart rate and breathing.

The one thing that has helped me is practice from the same way you shoot in the field . Like your back up to a tree or sitting in a fence row on the ground, if you use a chair and shooting sticks. You may be one of the guys who always gets the fever or it will pass with kills. but don't ever lose that passion. Best of luck this up coming season.

Caden:

You still out there?

Saw some dandy rifles today at a gun show....... May not have been exactly what you want but the price was right and they should be shooters from their mfg history. We are talking under $300.00 for the gun and they were those one shot one kill kind of guns. Sorry, no lever actions.

Several were NEF/H&R single shots with $200-300 price tags in heavy barrel and .224 and .243. I know you said you didnt want a break action but......

Do not under estimate the accuracy of these guns as I said before. You want to shoot precision learn on one of these.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
It gets easier over time. The only way to get over the shakes is to get out there and kill some. Thinking about everything other than missing the coyote helps. Focus on the basics of hitting your target and let the bullet do the rest.

As far as type of rifle goes it doesn't really matter too much honestly. The spray and pray method doesn't work in the predator hunting world. You either hit the coyote you called in or don't expect to ever get another shot at it again because there's a good chance that you won't. The only advantage of an AR or even a bolt gun is having the option to keep shootin if you miss or have more than one coyote coming in...or leaving very quickly. One you can just shoot faster and stay in the scope with better than the other if you have to keep shootin. They all have their place and one has a slight advantage over the next in some way or another. Personally I'd go with the Ruger or buy an AR-15. Most guys that start predator huntin usually end up with one at some point.

I use a monopod,my brother uses Snyper Sticks,my buddies use Harris Bipods. They all work extremely well. It all just depends on how much you're looking to spend. The bipods are a little heavier than shooting sticks. It's easy to move a monopod around without worrying about catching on anything or uneven ground. That's why I like using one. Other people prefer a bipod. It's just a preference thing. Having a good rest to shoot off of helps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Caden McCourtHi my name is Caden and I'm 16 years old. I have grown up around and extremely wide variety of fire arms my entire life. I started hunting as a child. At 4 years old I would shoot birds in our backyard. I have shot 3 deer and many rabbits and squirrels. All of the deer I shot were 1 shot kills and they never ran more than 100 yards. I was coyote hunting last night and around 7:30 I saw a coyote come out of the trees around 125 yards to my left. I hunt with a Savage arms model 93 17HMR with a laminated thumb hole stock. As I looked through my scope to confirm it was indeed a coyote my heart started racing very fast and I was shaking. I couldn't steady my scope on my extending bipod. I have hunted alone more than I have with others so I was trying everything that I could image would help. I clicked my safety back on and took a few deep breaths. Luckily I told myself that it's not worth it to make a bad shot and I waited a little longer to see it run off. Is there any sure fire way for me to steady in and make a clear headshot on such and easy target?

Caden,

I'm going to give you some advice that somehow hasn't been mentioned in 3 pages and is probably the most important thing about predator hunting...

If there ever comes a day when your heart doesn't race when you see one coming to the call, sell your rifle and buy some golf clubs.

I shot my first coyote around age 7, and hundreds or thousands since then. My team killed 9 in 48 minutes last year during a contest..... and ya know what.... every single one of them Gave my heart a jolt.

Now then.... as for controlling it. When you first see one on the approach, quietly draw in 2-3 very very deep breaths, and as your hands start to settle down, center the crosshairs. At that point, if you can hold still long enough to say Mississippi.... squeeze that trigger.

After a few, it'll be no sweat.

Back