Looking for gun safe recommendations.

the noobie

In the market for a gun safe. Looking for quality but can't afford $1800. I live in an apartment so I am not wanting anything huge but it seems most of the ones in my price range are all configured in the same manner as stack on cabinets so even though they claim 18 guns you can only put bolt action rifle every other slot. Liberty has a safe, pro vault I believe. Was also looking at a Browning one at sportsman's.

Thanks all just looking for ideas. Wouldn't even mind a scratch and dent safe if it meant I could save some $$

Liberty makes a great safe and as you already know you will never get the number of rifles any safe claims to hold. Spoke to a locksmith about the ProVault safes from Liberty while looking for a safe. He said it takes him a at least 3 hours to drill a Liberty safe's lock. How ever it takes him 30 minutes to drill a ProVault lock if he really takes his time. Liberty has great customer service if you ever have any kind of a issue with one of their safes.

I've had a Liberty Franklin for over 20 years, would buy another.

I had a problem with mine once, the S&G lock jammed up. they sent a safesmith out to fix it & it took him 3 hours to get in & that's with them giving up the info on how to do it.

I suspect one of the kids caused that but neither has ever owned up to it...

I’m also looking for a safe. A smaller one that will fit in a walk in closet. My guess is the average home burglar would have no clue how to get in to a safe, much less have hours to get into it. My biggest fear would be fire protection or lack of. The fire proof safes are crazy expensive but my home insurance people want $800 extra per year for a rider policy insuring my guns. Wouldn’t take long to break even. Still looking

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresI’m also looking for a safe. A smaller one that will fit in a walk in closet. My guess is the average home burglar would have no clue how to get in to a safe, much less have hours to get into it. My biggest fear would be fire protection or lack of. The fire proof safes are crazy expensive but my home insurance people want $800 extra per year for a rider policy insuring my guns. Wouldn’t take long to break even. Still looking

As far as insurance goes, here's the best deal in town. Worth the price of membership alone!

Quote:One of the benefits of NRA membership is your eligibility for $2,500 in ArmsCare Firearms Insurance. There’s no cost to you for this insurance, but you do have to activate it.

Not enough coverage? Additional low cost insurance available for NRA members and you can calculate your premium HERE. It is not necessary to list individual arms valued at less than $2,500 ea. For firearms valued at $2,500 or more, they will need a list with each item’s value. No serial numbers are required.

Good luck on your search for safe best suited to your needs.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresI’m also looking for a safe. A smaller one that will fit in a walk in closet. My guess is the average home burglar would have no clue how to get in to a safe, much less have hours to get into it.

a smash and grab is what most safes are designed to prevent. that and keeping nosy little fingers out of things they dont belong in.

ready to have your mind blown?

That's some great info, hm. Thanks! I'm going to look into whether or not it's cheaper to cover firearms this way vs. my homeowner's policy.

Originally Posted By: MatlockThat's some great info, hm. Thanks! I'm going to look into whether or not it's cheaper to cover firearms this way vs. my homeowner's policy.

It's about half of what my agent quoted me a couple of weeks ago.

thumbup1.gif

farm bureau offers very similar rates as well for firearms insurance

my agent quoted me $50/yr = $5k worth of coverage to add it to my homeowners policy

thats a zero deductible, replacement value policy for the firearms coverage

i was just exploring numbers so i dont know if there's a price break for larger policys, or if its flat at $50 per $5k of coverage all the way up.

Liberty has a bunch of destructive test videos online. I don't know if they really mean anything but they're sure fun to watch LOL

Thanks all. Deffinately skipping the pro vault but will look at normal liberty.

As of now I'd like something I can haul and move with the help of a couple buddies but something secure enough that the average break in they won't be able to easily get into or haul it off. 45 minute fire rating would be a bonus. 30 minutes is probably going to be more my price.

I'd like one that will hold 15-20 guns. Not rated for that many but will actually hold them. And my shotguns tend not to fit in many safes.

You can always go to a rod system inside your safe. They let you stand a lot more long guns rather than leaning them against the cutouts.

17 long guns = 17 unscoped bolt action rifles or shotguns. add a scope to a rifle, that's more like 1.5 guns. make it an AR, that's 1.5 or more & a scoped AR is 2.

adjust expectations & plans accordingly.

as Terry said, you can use a different system to get more in if needed.

Never seen the rod system but just googled it and that is neat! Might help make it hold guns a bit better. Guns like the Deer/elk rifles that dont get shot a lot can easily go to the back then the rest can stay closer to the front for easy access.

Kind of looking at these as well. Tractor Supply gets Cannon safes on sale this time of year just didnt know if they were really any good.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cannon-Americ...H1-17/301875390

I believe this is the safe I was eye balling at Sportsmans Just havent seen anything on them and not sure who makes them and didnt know if I am essentially getting stack on safe with a browning name and logo.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sport...35150/cat113707

The rods allowed me to fit a couple more guns in the safe then with the shelves that came with the safe. A easy way to move your safe and not mark up the floor is simple PVC pipes. Cut to the size of the safe and put about ten inches in front of each other. Works like a charm even with heavy safes.

Originally Posted By: 223spyderThe rods allowed me to fit a couple more guns in the safe then with the shelves that came with the safe. A easy way to move your safe and not mark up the floor is simple PVC pipes. Cut to the size of the safe and put about ten inches in front of each other. Works like a charm even with heavy safes.

Helped my father move his safe 4 times now. We are pros with the PVC.
thumbup1.gif

Back