Decoy dogs

Iamjuggernaut

So I know a lot of people out there really like currs but what other dogs are good for this application. I've heard that you don't want a dog that is to big because it might be intimidating to coyotes but if they are hunting in packs I would think that wouldn't matter as much. I'm a fan of American bull terriers I've always had them around. They can have shorter legs but are still power houses why are people not using them more often. I also lwonder why dogo argentinas or Belgian malinois and German shepherds aren't utilized more. I see these dogs being able to hold their own against a coyote if it gets a little hairy. Or do they just lack the speed necessary to out run a coyote? I am completely ignorant to this so sorry if it's a stupid question but I plan on getting a dog for this purpose one day.

I prefer terriers. Most of the breeds you listed are not hunting dogs. Most dogs can work but some are better than others.

I prefer a terrier or terrier cross. Have ran straight Airedales and Airedale/Jagdt. crosses. Depends on the individual dog more than the breed. They don't all make the team.
Have a good friend that prefers Cur/terrier cross and he has good dogs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IamjuggernautSo I know a lot of people out there really like currs but what other dogs are good for this application. I've heard that you don't want a dog that is to big because it might be intimidating to coyotes but if they are hunting in packs I would think that wouldn't matter as much. I'm a fan of American bull terriers I've always had them around. They can have shorter legs but are still power houses why are people not using them more often. I also lwonder why dogo argentinas or Belgian malinois and German shepherds aren't utilized more. I see these dogs being able to hold their own against a coyote if it gets a little hairy. Or do they just lack the speed necessary to out run a coyote? I am completely ignorant to this so sorry if it's a stupid question but I plan on getting a dog for this purpose one day. its not so much about whopping a coyote or needing to hold their own as much as it is about "Decoying the coyote" curr dogs are great at decoying.

Last edited:
Back