Iowa Coyote Night Hunting

Aaron1100us

Hello. I want to start hunting coyote at nihht here in Iowa. Years ago, I had heard lights were allowed. Looking at the DNR site, it seems that they are not. Thats odd. How do you hunt at night without a light? Are IR scopes allowed? Just trying to figure out what I need and how to do it.

The DNR officer here told me no star light scopes. He said he drives around with night vision goggles on and he can see the light your casting. It's a ticket. I wait for the moon.

Snow and a full moon will allow you to hunt them. We've killed many here in Iowa with those, including using a regular scope. Not always ideal, but the most important thing is to make sure you know your area really well (no cattle standing just out of sight) and you have a backstop.

Here is a screenshot from one of the NV companies who I am sure did their homework before posting state regs for their customers. I would for sure check with your local warden first before you purchase a setup because from what I understand, opinions vary. I have read that in some instances, people could be poaching deer but carry a hand call in their pocket and BAM!, they are "coyote hunting" when checked by a warden. Makes the warden's job tougher, so I sure would be on the same page with him or her before doing it. Just my 2 cents.

image-27.jpg

Shelton

Sounds good, I'll check with the local Game Warden. I'm thinking about just getting a nice Leupold Scope and only hunt in the morning, day, or sun set. Either that, or save up and get a Gen2 Nightvision scope that does not need an IR Illuminator. Thanks

Shelton 573's posting came from our website and a study we performed approximately 3 years ago. We try to keep information updated as best we can. As far as I know the posting for IA is still accurate. In general you cannot use any form of artificial light whether visible or invisible IR light. However, using a starlight scope (another name for a night vision scope) is not illegal as long as you are not using any form of infrared light with it. Kevin

Originally Posted By: Smackem223The DNR officer here told me no star light scopes. He said he drives around with night vision goggles on and he can see the light your casting. It's a ticket. I wait for the moon.

Starlight scopes (another name for NV scopes) do not cast any form of light unless an internal or external IR device is added. This is probably what your DNR officer is seeing (IR light) which is clearly illegal in IA. In IA you can use a NV device without IR. Kevin

This is accurate. If you still aren't sure, call a CO. Here is the info for one in Des Moines area. Nate Anderson 515-238-4849

Back