Coyote AR Cal.

I've been killing mine with the boring ol' .223.

TroyChris13Sep2017Quintuple-M.jpg

Three of those were killed with one shot each using 53 grain Vmaxes.

The other guy killed two with his 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:
I use the Tac 20 when specifically targeting coyotes 32g Blitzkings, but I also shoot a fair amount at night while hunting hogs with a 6.8 using the 120g sst. Both are pretty fur friendly. Usually no exit with the tac20 and sometimes a 1/4" exit with the 6.8.

Both calibers drop them in their tracks.

Last edited:
If I could only have one AR cartridge for coyotes, it'd be 223rem.

If 223rem suddenly fell off of the face of the planet, it'd be 6.8spc and 6.5 grendel behind that.

Out of the AR calibers I own, 22 Nosler hands down. Once you ditch the AR Stoner barrel this cartridge really comes alive. My 55 grain bullets are at 3640 fps and 40's at 3930 fps out of a 20" barrel. Accuracy is outstanding. At these speeds the brass is toast, but for the limited number of rounds fired at coyotes I'm willing to sacrifice the brass. If I drop the loads down to the next accuracy node the brass fairs pretty well and velocities still beat a .223 by a large margin. I don't see that rifle staying home on any hunts in the foreseeable future. Also if you don't hand load, the 55 factory ammo came in at over 3500 fps and shot sub MOA groups. I have only tried one heavy bullet, the 65 Sierra game king and they shot well enough to get lucky in the egg shoot at 3230 fps. If you like speedy little cartridges I feel it is worth considering.
DH

Back