22 mag help.

Countrystrong

I absolutely love .22 mag for predators, looking to buy a new .22 mag sometime soon. I have been looking at some so far I am looking at the ruger american in 22 mag I was just wondering how it would be with farther shots with different rounds how the accuracy would be? I am really picky with .22 mags & I am pretty set with a bolt action, also was really looking at the model 547 remington custom shop rimfire in 22 mag, I love remington & like how it's close to the model 700, wondering if anyone has one & how they like it?

Have the Ruger American 22 WMR and like it a bunch.
Best ammo so far was 40 gr Aquila silver eagle that was close to 1 MOA at 100 yards.
Other 40 gr ammo, Win HP, CCI HP were a tad more at 100 yards.
Recently picked up some CCI 40 HP at academy for $12 box of 50, no limit.

CS,

I know you said your pretty set on a bolt gun but I wanted to tell you anyhow about my Volquartsen lightweight 22wmr with a Hogue stock and carbon fiber barrel. Wow, it's very light and I just don't think you could do any better in the accuracy department unless you have a complete custom gun made and then I don't think it would beat it by much. How do you improve much on a one hole group at 50 yards and a 3/4" group at 100?
One of the other things about it I like, if you have a double or even triple of anything come in or you need a quick 2nd shot, It's so much faster than a bolt where you have to cycle the bolt an then try to get back on target.
I like bolt guns very much also but I'm just saying from a true hunting standpoint that the VQ in my opinion is a better choice unless you go to an AR type rifle.
BTW, the VQ's use a standard 9 shot Ruger rotary magazine. I just bought 2 extra's for $24 each. Also, not part of your thread but I also have a VQ in 17HMR that I haven't found a bolt gun yet that will out shoot it.

Jim D
SE Texas

Last edited:
I have a Ruger 77/22 VBZ-22mag, It's very accurate, i have heard that Ruger is no longer producing them.
It's built strong and has the feel of a full size center-fire rifle.

It shoots the Remington 33gr accutips and Hornaday 30vmax's into one ragged hole at 50 yrds.

I bet there's still a few out there NIB, but the price is probably going to be higher than the "Amerian" rifle.

I have the same rifle haha, but it's more of a family gun I use than mine. I have killed lots of stuff with that .22 mag. Saw one at a gun show awhile back but it was in pretty bad shape & they were asking to much.

I have heard of volquartsen before they look pretty [beeep] perfect for accuracy & look well built never owned one before, goona look into it for sure since I already have a bolt action .22 mag maybe I could use a semi auto, although I can run a bolt action pretty fast haha. It is crazy how much you can customize them.

If you want a bolt, the CZ 455 is a good option. If you go semi-auto and don't want to have to get a second mortgage on the house for the Volq, a CZ 512 is a pretty good choice with a reasonable price.

My cheap plastic stocked Marlin with a Rifle Basix trigger shoots Hornady 30 grain Vmax into 3/4" groups at 100 fairly often as well.

I have several 22 mags, and they all shoot exceptional

Marlin 25M-5 shot clip
Marlin tube feed

Ruger 77/22 mag ss with the boat paddle stock.

Use Win 40g HP on coyotes if or rifle will shoot them accurately. Copper plated bullet foul up the barrel fast.

Plastic tip bullet do not penetrate, especially if they hit a rib or shoulder.

Winchester Supreme will NOT reliably kill a feral cat.

New 50g Federal is a new design vs older that was not friendly to the slow twist rate in 22 Mags. If your rifle will stabilize them, they will be awesome on ZOmbies to coyotes.

All three of the rifles above shoot around an inch in calm weather at 100 yards. I put scopes on them with target knobs marked to 200 yards.

For best accuracy, clean your guns every 250 rounds.

Last edited:
CZ455 using Hornady 30 V-max's. Accuracy is fantastic, but
not so much with other rounds. Quality of the rifle is better
than anything else I looked at (ok, never looked at a Volq..).

I don't yet know about coyotes, but this combo sure has made
a lot of good coons out of bad ones, and quick!

Has anyone every tried the hornady critical defense ammuntion on fox & cats, yotes? I use the hornady 30 grain vmax allot but they tear kit fox up pretty bad unless shot center chest, works great on greys but would prefer something bigger for cats & yotes. I want a good cat round for next winter.

my mossy 640 ks 22 mag loves remington 40 gr sp. Have not seen it since the ammo shortage, and it is really expensive. CCI 40 gr. HP shoots almost as good. The CCI dropped the big do in my avatar at maybe 25 yards. Double lung with an instant bang flop.

Originally Posted By: MPFDMy cheap plastic stocked Marlin with a Rifle Basix trigger shoots Hornady 30 grain Vmax into 3/4" groups at 100 fairly often as well.

Same here, Marlin 925M, RB trigger, Fiocchi ammo = tiny groups at 100 yds.

I'm also a big fan of the 22mag. I have several but the one that rides beside me most often is a cz. It is the most accurate but a close second is the Ruger American. One nice thing about the Ruger is the magazine. Holds more and is flush.

i'v got a marlin 883 22mag. that shoots good . i replaced the trigger spring with a spring out of a ball point pen it made a big big difference.

I agree with Texas Swifty
I have owned many .22 mag bolt guns but my Volquartsen is more accurate with a range of different brands of .22 mag ammo.
Good luck with your decision!
Jim

Back