speer hot core bullets

Spike

has any one had actual experience on big game with this bullet? the 140gr in my 6.5cm seems to be accurate. thanks spike

the last 12 elk my family has shot have been with 90 gr speer hot core out of our 243s. all 1 shot kills. Used speer bullets for a long time even before the were called hotcores.never had a bullet fail. bill

I've used the old 105 gr. .243 and 170 gr. flat point .30-30 quite a bit on deer. Always accurate, expands very well and exits on broadside deer. The result has always been a deer in the freezer.

I still shoot the 7mm 130g spt bt in a 7/08, 42g of IMR 4895 with Rem 9 1/2 in a Rem case is wicked accurate and kills good to 350 that I have shot white tails...puts a lot of shock on a deer.

Killed a lot of antelope with the 243 and 85g sptbt in a 243. I think that this is a MUCH better bullet on antelope and deer than the 85g sierra BTHP(which I have shot thousands of).

30/06- 165g sptbt with a hot load of IMR 4350 is wicked on deer on how much shock it puts on a deer.

In my last Rem 700 in 25/06, a near max load of R#19, win primer, win brass, 100g Speer btsp could shoot small birds at 300 yards with my Burris 6x24 scope. This is a fantastic deer and antelope combo.

I used to make my own bullets for shooting benchrest competition. I had just made the decision to quit shooting Benchrest comp matches.

A friend was at the range shooting with me one day, and I saw his very tiny groups with a custom rem 700 with a Hart 14T in 223. I tried the 22 caliber 50g tnt and the 70g tnt and was simply astounded at the accuracy in my 22 & 6 PPC.

I sold the bullet making equipment the next month due to the EXTREME accuracy of these tnt bullet.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies. I still have some .264 140gr bullets and went to buy more, no luck the store was out. I have shot the 224 cal speer varmint bullets with good accuracy but no experience on coyotes. the 140gr .264 bullets I will try on elk if I get lucky. thanks spike

If a guy can get over himself and ignore super high BC, expensive, sexy polymer tipped bullets, then the Hot Cor's are fantastic standard range game killing bullets.

My first experience with them was the 130 Hotcor in 270rem over 20yrs ago, and most recently I've been enjoying the 180grn hotcor (swaged) in a 357/44 B&D.

Unless the forming process has recently changed, Speer boattail bullets are not made using the Hot Core process. Their boattail bullets are traditional swaged cup-n-core bullets.
That said, I love the hot cores and speer bullets in general and consider them (with a few exceptions) to be a great value. Their management and marketing is another story.

Used 165 grs in 30 cal on deer.. DRT.. Gave a buddy some of them, same response. DRT.. I Like Speer bullets but they are hard to find,but accurate. I shoot them in .224 also. As someone said, their marketing sucks. So does production quantity..

Originally Posted By: Spikethanks for all the replies. I still have some .264 140gr bullets and went to buy more, no luck the store was out. I have shot the 224 cal speer varmint bullets with good accuracy but no experience on coyotes. the 140gr .264 bullets I will try on elk if I get lucky. thanks spike

I've found the Speer to be quite soft and an early expander. The heavy for caliber bullets I've used have exited the skinny Ozark hard scrabble deer. I don't know that .264 140 gr. is a great elk bullet or not?

GC, the first reply I got grizz has shot elk with a 90gr 243 hot cor. I loaded 100gr nosler partions for my wife's 243 and she got six cow elk. I'm having a hard time getting my 6.5 CM to shoot well and tried 140gr speer bullets. I have had a few experiences where the bullets don't open up and just punch through. spike

Ok, I seriously didn't know, thus the question mark. You have more elk experience than I do, no doubt. Good luck, hope you smash a good 'un!

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Spikethanks for all the replies. I still have some .264 140gr bullets and went to buy more, no luck the store was out. I have shot the 224 cal speer varmint bullets with good accuracy but no experience on coyotes. the 140gr .264 bullets I will try on elk if I get lucky. thanks spike

I've found the Speer to be quite soft and an early expander. The heavy for caliber bullets I've used have exited the skinny Ozark hard scrabble deer. I don't know that .264 140 gr. is a great elk bullet or not?

I believe the same. I would go to a 140g Nosler partition, 127g Barnes tipped long range(very accurate bullet and easy to tune) for elk.

Back