25x45 AR ( SAAMI SPECS PUBLISHED)

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishthats looks like one heck of a coyote round for anything under 400. what do you think you velocity is? 23-2400 abouts

Well when I saw the post I thought oh I know its quite a bit higher than 23-2400fps. So I went and got the Chrony out and loaded 5 rds w/ H335 26.5gr & Sierra 70gr BK. 2 errors and 3 reports one 2989 and one 2893....I took a photo of the middle one. Still little doubt in my mind a 70gr .257 bullet moving at this speed will put the absolute smack down on a coyote.

25x45chrony.jpg

Load Data Disclaimer - Use caution if you use it. Blah Blah Blah...

Last edited:
Sorry to rehash a old thread. But looking at all the info on this cartridge I can find.

Looks like you where on the cusp of this cartridge. Do you still enjoy it? Still using it?

can you point me at any newer postings I may have missed?

Thank you

CW

Originally Posted By: CWLongshotSorry to rehash a old thread. But looking at all the info on this cartridge I can find.

Looks like you where on the cusp of this cartridge. Do you still enjoy it? Still using it?

can you point me at any newer postings I may have missed?

Thank you

CW

I believe there are several here. Look up my name and you might find a few.

Greg

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post3060430

Last edited:
Thank you!

Yes, I have had Contenders for years and picked up one of those ONE LOAD books for the Contender. There is a couple appropriate wild cat calibers to reference and they have allowed more than a couple powders not advertised as useable.

I have narrowed things down to the Sierra 90g HPBT SGK bullet and either Benchmark or AA2230 powder.

I haven't played with 100g bullets altho I have a bunch to use. I have loaded up a few 70g loads and so far EVERYONE has been very accurate. looks like my barrel has a affinity to lighter bullets. This 90 has a short contact/bearing surface, thats why I think its shooting better then the 87g Speer.

CW

Your going to dig using those .257 87 grn. on the Coyotes . On the 87 grn. Speers they are plenty accurate . I would try using Accurate, A-2200 .
I load ( 25.5 ) and ( 25.7 )grain of A-2200.
with BlackHole ( 9-twist ) . 16" and easy push over+ 2800 fps Vel. .

So you should be able to squeeze little more Vel. easy with that 20" barrel . It pretty accurate and I even took the load out on 98 deg. this summer to check the load on hot day and the primers were still sitting proud with round edge .

I am coming back to this Thread ' to add ' in case anyone stumbles across it in the future looking into info reference for .25 x 45 (.25 sharps) .. Load Data
& the ( A-2200 ) is really good and you can 'Really' wring-out the velocity of 87 grn bullets with it when if you pushing the need for speed with 25x45 .

Out of curiosity last week a grabbed a Lb. of ( A-2230 ) and did a little Chrony. work and load workup with it and 87 grn speer's . and I got to say that 'for me' I do for a fact get little 'better average' consistent tighter groups at 100 yard .
The deal is though with the A-2230 is that it is a little slower and to get anywhere near 2800 fps like with using the A-2200 . You got to start getting into light compressing of powder load in the Case . Not to bad to 2700 vel. but just a 'little' light crunching when capping off .

Compare to 25.5 of A2200 @ 2800+ and a little room to spare on Case capacity . I could easy squeeze more Vel. also, as the Primers look 'nice round edge' not flat, and the Brass look good and Un-bastardized after extraction .
So I now am moving 27.7 grn powder ( full case capacity ) on Fed. Brass, and just over 2700+ Vel fps. but I got to say the group size really consistently looks tighter @ 100 yrd. . The Primers are looking a little flatter but not bad at all, and Brass still looking good and extracting nice with using Adj. SLR gas block .
I need to get it out in the night with some NV and see if any or how much if any 'fluff powder flash' there might be coming out the Suppressor with me filling more Case capacity with a slower burn powder .
The A2200 was really pretty good burn with a 16" barrel length and I noticed only once in a while was a just little bit of very light muzzle flash being pushed out of the Can in front of the NV sight Obj. .

I will burn trough the whole Lb. of 2230 to 100% make my mind up . But overall so far have not had any negative using the A-2230 and it looks like a good working powder also for .25 Sharps

Last edited:
Thanks IF!

I did finally acquire some AA2200 last November. I looked all over and found some at a lil shop on the way home from a deer hunt in VT! I grabbed 2#.

its been a very good powder for me too.

I just got in a couple boxes of the Hornady 110FTX and altho its long it "fits" the 25/45 very well. I am gonna work up some loads and see.

98979956-1FE3-4539-BBE6-D4B98A9084B5_zpsie2ors08.jpg

CW

Originally Posted By: KAGOriginally Posted By: nastynatesfishthats looks like one heck of a coyote round for anything under 400. what do you think you velocity is? 23-2400 abouts

Well when I saw the post I thought oh I know its quite a bit higher than 23-2400fps. So I went and got the Chrony out and loaded 5 rds w/ H335 26.5gr & Sierra 70gr BK. 2 errors and 3 reports one 2989 and one 2893....I took a photo of the middle one. Still little doubt in my mind a 70gr .257 bullet moving at this speed will put the absolute smack down on a coyote.

25x45chrony.jpg

Load Data Disclaimer - Use caution if you use it. Blah Blah Blah...

That's pretty good velocity for the 25/45. My 20" 6x45 is running about 2958 fps with 70 BK's

This looks like an interesting cartridge for a 18 or even 16" bbl. I wonder how that 87grTNT would do with those MV as I'm assuming it wouldn't lose much compared to a 20"...i bet it would wreck a coyote at normal calling ranges

Well. I’ve been intriguged with this and the 6x45. Just ordered a barre on sale. Got buckets coming. Have tons of brass. Does will be here tomorrow. Anyone useing tac or arcomp? I’ve got a lot of it and did my powder order before I got my barrel ordered

I been really digging .25x45 for coyote . For my dedicated night hunt 16" AR rig, I actually 'slowed it down a lot' to a accurate node just a tad over 2700 vel. with the A-2230 and it prints ragged groups at 100 yard with the 87 grain tnt's . The Faster Vel. I was pushing is just not needed for the closer ranges I call them in a nighttime and doesn't need to be so hot on the barrel .

I liking the quarter bore SOooooo much, that I really want to do a .25-204 next in a Bolt Action for a day hunt rig , I got a donor Rem. 223 and a xlr chassis sitting that will work for it . The added fuel of the 204 brass and a longer barrel like 24" should do well . just got to order up a reamer from PTG and decide on length of throat to cut .

I built a 25-204 about 14 yrs ago, the year after 204 brass became available. Great little round. 2850 fps with 100gr partitions, 3150 with 75gr V-max and 3000 with 85gr NBT's. It pretty much matches factory specs for the 250 Sav and 257 Rob. I had the chamber cut with a 204 Reamer with a 25cal pilot and the neck and throat cut separately to my specs. Hodgdon use to have data for the 257 Kimber (25-222 Rem Mag Improved) which the 25-204 is pretty much a clone of with no fire forming.

If you don't save fur hitting coyotes with a 75gr HP or V-max is like using a grenade on them. Like the 250 and 257 the 100gr is a deer killer supreme. Too bad it is too long for some of the mini actions.
If I were to do it again I'd do it on the 22 Nosler case or Grendel case and build on a 527, Mini Mauser or Mini Howa.

Last edited:
You pretty much making my mind up for me with that info ....LOL

I got , 2.37 " box length on the ( .223 Accurate 5-round mags ) that I use on that short action chassis . Steel Magazine housing. BUT... I think I can pull the plastic molded feeding spacer out. And modify/cut it for squeezing out a little more Cartridge OAL for the .204 and little longer bullet . If I can do that it will be a big+ on 25-204 handloads .

25-204, big medicine in a small package.

First buck I took with the 25-204. I'm loading at 2.41 in the Savage 10.

B7iv33.jpg

Last edited:
Back