Scope for 17 WSM

For what purpose?

I've got a Leupold 3-9x40 (can't remember if it's a Rifleman or VX1) on mine and it works for prairie dogs and jackrabbits at reasonable ranges. It'd also work for fox and bobcats in all but the thickest brush. I'm pretty fond of the 3-9 range for most purposes, so that's what I'd recommend. I usually recommend Leupold because their scopes are trim
and light, have good glass for the price, and are made in the US.

Last edited:
I had a Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14x40AO sitting on the shelf not doing anything and that's what I put on my 17 WSM. I prefer a side focus over the AO but I already had this scope and so far its made for a good combo.

I personally think thatyour intended targets should dictate the scope on the rifle not just the calliber. Out here in the west we have Ground Squirels that are shot in the spring while the pasturefield grass is short, they are about the size of a eastern stiped gopher and distances can stretch out there something like a 4-16 or 6.x-20 would work well as the 17 WSM is an ideal rifle for these and punching paper.

On larger targets like called predators where distances can be shorter a 2-7 or 3-9 would be ideal.

Have fun with your new rifle. I suggest staying away from the cheaper off brands made in China.

I have a BSA Sweet 17 on the shelf that I just rediscovered ,, it's turret is for the 17 gr bullet ,, might have to see if can get replacement ones for the 20 n25 grbullet

Back