Oh no! I drank the Coolaid!

Bowhunt

The Creedmoor coolaid that is! LOL. I have a 6.5 on the way. With what I have read so far......I should start hoarding copius amounts of H4350. LOL. Any other suggestions? Best bullets, recommended dies.......etc. Don't even really know what I'm going to do with it. Can't shoot deer with it in my state. Waaaaaay too potent for shooting coyotes because I usually save hides. Probably just use it to play at long range. Too good of a deal to pass up, besides........who doesn't want a new rifle? Especially in a chambering you don't have yet!
thumbup.gif

Any advice will be appreciated.

Bowhunt, I also jumped onto the Creedmoor band wagon this summer, not because of the caliber, but the rifle that I wanted is only available in 6.5 at this time. Before the rifle arrived I had purchased 100 new Hornady cases and Hornady Match Grade bushing dies. I have only shot Nosler 140 RDFs and Berger 140 VLD Hunting bullets so far. The great news is that once I found my seating depth for the Bergers I can seat the Noslers with the same charge and depth. Both rounds shoot to the same point of impact to 300 yards. I couldn't find any H4350 and I'm kind of glad I didn't. I tried Reloader 16 and have gotten very good results. Very low extreme spreads and good velocity with no pressure signs.
What rifle did you order?
Good luck and have fun
Bobby

Originally Posted By: Bruised Bowhunt, I also jumped onto the Creedmoor band wagon this summer, not because of the caliber, but the rifle that I wanted is only available in 6.5 at this time. Before the rifle arrived I had purchased 100 new Hornady cases and Hornady Match Grade bushing dies. I have only shot Nosler 140 RDFs and Berger 140 VLD Hunting bullets so far. The great news is that once I found my seating depth for the Bergers I can seat the Noslers with the same charge and depth. Both rounds shoot to the same point of impact to 300 yards. I couldn't find any H4350 and I'm kind of glad I didn't. I tried Reloader 16 and have gotten very good results. Very low extreme spreads and good velocity with no pressure signs.
What rifle did you order?
Good luck and have fun
Bobby

Thanks for the info Bobby! I ordered the Savage Model 12fv.......2 of them actually. Bought one for a donor action and am going to build a semi custom calling rifle in 243 Win. Which rifle did you buy?

Gun makers have it figured out! Just make a new cartridge, imply it is the best thing since sliced bread, for long distance shooting, and they will come!

Last night my nephew was texting me about the 6.5 CM, that he could get a deal on. His Dad likes the 6.5x55 Swede, and I like the 260 Rem. I told him I prefer the 260 Rem., but wouldn't want to live on the difference between that and the 6.5 CM. He didn't say what his decision was, so I will probably have to wait until we get together at the hunting cabin, to hear if he bought it or not. I think he is warming up to taking a drink of that Kool-Aid, too.

Squeeze

"Inherent" is the magic word.

I haven't looked it up but I'm guessing the ammo makers use the definition "Expensive BS" for that word
laugh.gif

Bowhunt, I bought a Kimber Open Country rifle. My son just picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor last week. We haven't shot the Ruger yet.

Bowhunt, if you want to save fur with the creedmoor I have been shooting 129 grain scenars and have had good luck with them on coyotes. It hammers them dead with very minimal fur damage.

I was in and back out of the CM fantasy. Nothing wrong with them, just several calibers that are to similar. My buddy lives and breaths Creedmore. Has the 6.5 and a 6CM. Best thing to happen since pockets on a shirt!! So he says.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrBowhunt, if you want to save fur with the creedmoor I have been shooting 129 grain scenars and have had good luck with them on coyotes. It hammers them dead with very minimal fur damage.

Are those Scenars a hollow point?

I believe in the European version myself, the 6.5x47. Of course they're about twins ballistically. I like it so much I'm having a 22x47 built right now.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I believe in the European version myself, the 6.5x47. Of course they're about twins ballistically. I like it so much I'm having a 22x47 built right now.

Brass doing ok?

I use mine when we are hunting the open areas down around the Mississippi and Ohio River flood palins in (deep) Southernmost Illinois. We hardly ever get fur worth worrying about so the bigger the hole the better I like it. 120 gr Hornady factory stuff works fine (MOA) although I really like the BTSP bullets as they make more of a mess out of things.

I assume you are further north where winter temps can put a decent coat on the dogs.

Originally Posted By: huntschool

I assume you are further north where winter temps can put a decent coat on the dogs.

Yep......North Central. Nothing compared to Western dogs but we do get some decent pelts now and then.

Okay. First, before I go on, I'm getting one. I have a bonus coming, I've got one all picked out.

Now, the 6.5's strength is its ability to maintain stability at extreme ranges makes it a great long range precision shooting round. It has proven this with a simple metric, in competitions it wins. However, this ability is due to a long heavy round with a particular load. If you're going to use a smaller bullet with a different powder, it seems to me you would be negating its primary strength. Not that it will not be accurate or anything. But if you do not plan on long range precision shooting, then you just as well get a 243, 270, or 308. Brass, powder, and load data would be much easier to come by.

Just thinking out loud. Carry on.

Mike

Originally Posted By: BowhuntThe Creedmoor coolaid that is! LOL. I have a 6.5 on the way. With what I have read so far......I should start hoarding copius amounts of H4350. LOL. Any other suggestions? Best bullets, recommended dies.......etc. Don't even really know what I'm going to do with it. Can't shoot deer with it in my state. Waaaaaay too potent for shooting coyotes because I usually save hides. Probably just use it to play at long range. Too good of a deal to pass up, besides........who doesn't want a new rifle? Especially in a chambering you don't have yet!
thumbup.gif

Any advice will be appreciated.

You're gonna regret drinking that nasty crap! Lol

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CZ527I believe in the European version myself, the 6.5x47. Of course they're about twins ballistically. I like it so much I'm having a 22x47 built right now.

Brass doing ok?

Yes, I ran it through the benchsource once it was down to 6mm, and did a few test pieces through the 22 die (ones that weren't perfect) and they straightened up. Probably best to anneal it after the first firing as well.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CZ527I believe in the European version myself, the 6.5x47. Of course they're about twins ballistically. I like it so much I'm having a 22x47 built right now.

Brass doing ok?

Yes, I ran it through the benchsource once it was down to 6mm, and did a few test pieces through the 22 die (ones that weren't perfect) and they straightened up. Probably best to anneal it after the first firing as well.

Excellent!!
thumbup1.gif

Just throwing it out there...I cam across a few pounds of IMR 4064 pretty cheap and messing with it now in the 260 (normally shoot H4350). Threw together a few quick loads, and looks really promising, grouping nearly as well as H4350 at 100yds. Doing more testing this weekend with some groups at 200, 300, and ladder at 400.

Back