Coyote hunting in Maine...

and another, this one was cool as I was walking back from setting the call I saw it on the edge of the woods about 50yds from my chair, I just stopped and stood there out in the open. the dog finally went into the woods. I went to my chair and got set then did some lip squeaks and then pup in distress. in about 4or 5 mins it came running out and stopped broadside, dumped at 122 yds a 28lb male.

Last edited:
called in a pair this morning, used some howls and a bit of pup distress, this 36lb male came bouncing in all set for a fight. after I shot him call went to pup dis and the 2nd one came in close. it was very cool. can't get flickr to work
https://flic.kr/p/VhawCi

Last edited:
I plan on doing some coyote hunting this October while bird hunting up around Molunkus Maine, my question is, do you have to get the coyotes tagged, here in Connecticut we tag them online and get a confirmation number, is it the same in Me ? Thanks

in maine you only need to get it tagged if you're getting it mounted or having it tanned. if you're keeping it there's no need to tag it. I'm not sure about bringing it out of state, I'll check.
don
call this # 1 207 287 8000

Last edited:
on the 25th I was sitting in a spot where I've been before, when at the 67 min mark there was movement to my left and a bit behind me. it was a 3 legged coyote coming toward me at about 30yds. it was looking at the call which was up wind and out in front of me. I tried to get around but by then it had my wind and saw me jumping around. quite a bit of excitement for a few moments. very cool to have called it in so close.
don

Originally Posted By: donlynchin maine you only need to get it tagged if you're getting it mounted or having it tanned. if you're keeping it there's no need to tag it. I'm not sure about bringing it out of state, I'll check.
don
call this # 1 207 287 8000
Thanks Don, I will give them a call this week and let you know, I plan on getting them tanned if I'm lucking enough to score.
I wonder how the pelts look in October?

well finally got one, I was walking into my spot and as I started to cross this big blueberry ground I saw way off to my left a deer but then I saw a tail. sure enough it's a coyote. I ducked down and got out of my pack, set up my seat and shooting sticks. I can just barely see her over a rise in the ground. she's chasing mice. I finally get on her and it's a long way, I hold about 3" over and touch it off, and whack down she goes, I can see her and then the tail starts circling. I put another in for good measure but it wasn't needed. turned out it was 320 yds. don't know if I can post a pic.C:\Users\Don\Pictures\2017-09-09\DSCN0732.JPG

Last edited:
Seems like they are getting more active for sure. I am thinking the cooler weather is getting them moving around a bit more, I've called in three in the last 2 days so my enthusiasm is picking up.
320 yds is a heck of a poke for sure, way to go!

yes it was, I'm shooting a savage axis 22-250 with horn. superformance and I've shot at 300 and 400yds so I know where it's hitting, plus I know the spot and was quite confident of the distance, checked it afterwards with my range finder. still it was a poke for sure and so cool to make the shot. love the way that axis shoots

Last edited:
I have been looking for 22-250, not sure I can justify it hunting my area. Seems like a 12 gauge and AR do everything I need. Did get up to the Aligash last fall and that looked like a great area for longer shots. More of a 700 fan, but the savages and rugers seem like a great value.

old cat, yes that's a very good spot, I've got a few there, one of those honey holes that work. yeah Mick I've been trying, I'm not smart enough to stay home and have breakfast

Haven't seen alot of activity up here in northern. Miane yet..

However I was hating life earlier... took my malamute for a walk earlier with my handy little 7lbs Grendel. Got about 2 miles behind my house and there stood a nice healthy Black Bear. Range finder said 225 yards away. No bipod on this rifle and no shooting sticks. Potato flowers weren't dead in this field yet so I couldn't get down prone or sight picture was obscured. Tried fighting the sling up real good and get a kneeling shot, but couldn't quite get steady enough.. decided it wasn't worth taking a crap shot and I let him walk off... UGH!!!

I had literally just put my Harris 13-27 bipod on my Rem 30 AR, but didn't thi nki would be seeing any critters so threw the Grendel over my shoulder as a lightweight "just in case". Lesson learned...

Back