... a Little Success ...

Infidel 762

Staff member
Went out this afternoon for couple stands. First stand I set-up over a field where green springs fourth in the rows.

He came in skirting the wheat field, the way he was running you could not even tell it he had a broken leg. Recent break with the ball joint exposed and leaking puss.

Second stand called this coon inside of 10 yards.

He displayed rabid behavior with very little fear of me. Even after I stood up he lunged at me, then backed off growling.

Count backwards to Tuesday, I setup with the river to my back. Second series and I have a coyote appear between myself and the call. He came in through a blind spot, close enough that he took up most of the field of view in my scope. Followed up with PD that brought in another.

YOYs

Previous day I went out for one stand. One stand in the red earth, where substance dissolves into matter.

The end of day(s).

1689.gif

Good job, Jeremy. Interesting backdrop in that last pic, didn't know OK had any mesas.

Regards,
hm

Most of our area is flat, but those mesas have changed a lot in just the last thirty sum years. That area is referred to as the gloss mountains; it was said that on an old map they meant to label it the glass mountains due to all the isinglass, but it got spelled "gloss" and the name just stuck with the locals.

They are definitely not mountains but as a kid I remember the whole area was just open red shale covered in isinglass that would just sparkle on sunny days. Today rain has dissolved most of the selenite crystals and the open red shale has been overgrown with prairie grasses. Distant towns have water wells pumping their water supply from this area that have caused the aquifer to drop 15 feet in just the last 15 years, the small ponds we used to hunt bullfrogs and shoot ducks from have mostly dried and silted shut, but coyote has sure flourished with the grassy prairie land that used to just sparkle.

I can tell you 100% that coyote respects this land better than man. Aside from depleting the aquifer, at the base of the lone mesa i that pic is the Gloss Mountains' Lone Mountain Facility where a company named Clean Harbors has paid the state of Oklahoma millions to bring in toxic waste from out of state to dispose there. I call coyotes next to one of the top 20 toxic waste dumps in the US, and it is all brought in from out of state. Man is sucking dry the life sustaining water of this area and replacing it with toxic waste, this fact is undisputed and no one cares.

Our gov. has failed us, the EPA worries about what we do in our backyard but allows big time dumping. They call it progress of man. At least you had some good hunting. What cal. is your rifle?

Rabid-acting coon would have got a bullet from me. That first coyote is a good looking one, minus the broke leg of course. I have seen several 3-legged coyotes over the years that seemed to get along just fine. The guys who lease my BIL's land for deer say that a few years ago there was one out there that had both hind legs broke, and would drag himself around. They never could catch him though, and only saw him for one season. IDK, maybe BS story, but I trust the guys telling it, so who knows. Coyotes are tough enough I wouldn't doubt it.

Toxic waste is a hard thing to think about. Nobody wants it close to them, yet it has to go somewhere. In the end, someone, somewhere, ends up getting screwed. And we, as a people, don't want to give up the things that create it. This thread probably wouldn't have happened without your cell phone. I, for one, don't want to go back to carborated engines vs fuel injection. We all have our vices when it comes to technology and the things it takes to create/sustain it. I know I am part of the problem, yet don't know how to become part of the solution.

But life goes on, and so does coyote. Except when he meets a 40 grain VMAX.

Good stuff Jeremy, thanks for sharing again.

Kind of an aside here, but I'd rather have a modern well-engineered and constructed hazardous waste landfill than a 30-year old hole-in-the-ground dump with standard "household" waste (remember those?). I work in the haz waste world and can tell you that modern landfills are marvels of engineering and construction work, with numerous failsafes to prevent releases of waste. They're not infallible, but the attention given the environment is significant. And like JTP points out, all that crap has to go somewhere, and with it usually comes an injection of money (jobs, tax revenue, and so on).

If I ever called in a 2 legged coyote, it would be the first coyote I ever let walk. I believe they have seen one. This dog lacks the self awareness of the fact that he is handicapped, does not let it bring him down mentally. They just accept it and move on, acceptance is a touchstone towards serenity.

I believe you that waste companies are regulated to operate with safe guards and procedures, one has to get a perk test and permit just to put in a septic tank out here in the sticks. I guess we are just supposed to feel safe trusting the DEQ to keep it all balanced.

Realistically it is not my land nor my toxic waste, not even my water for that matter. It just seems symbolic being out there on the ground and aware of what is going on. As populations and urban areas continue to grow, future generations will one day remember the true value of water. Water rights will hold more value than traditional mineral rights. Violence over water is nothing new, nor are we exempt to the possibility of such violence. Our children's children could one day see water wars..

As with those " 30-year old hole-in-the-ground dump with standard "household" waste". One man's waste is another man's treasure. Future archeologists may one day find fossils and artifacts of the human race, some of the most well preserved objects could be recovered from our landfills. Airtight, buried and compressed waste lacks exposure to the elements needed to decompose.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762As with those " 30-year old hole-in-the-ground dump with standard "household" waste". One man's waste is another man's treasure. Future archeologists may one day find fossils and artifacts of the human race, some of the most well preserved objects could be recovered from our landfills. Airtight, buried and compressed waste lacks exposure to the elements needed to decompose.

That's a good and interesting point. What I was getting at is that those old pits are likely the cause of more and worse contamination than a well-designed haz waste landfill. They are usually unlined and were typically unregulated. All kinds of nasty stuff was dumped in pits all over this country to happily leach its unpleasantness downward to groundwater. Same goes for burning. Just torching a few bags of household trash can release more contaminants to the air than a regulated haz waste incinerator.

Back